GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with this trailer bought chrome wheel covers? I would like to get a set, but see many 8" covers offered.

I want to make sure the brand/kind I purchase fit the wheels properly.

Most offered are for golf carts.

Anyone ??

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
784 Posts
Some people use ones for riding lawn mowers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people use ones for riding lawn mowers.

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping that someone who has already bought a set that worked for them, would chime in.

I see many, but don't want to spend the money to find out that they won't fit properly.

Anyone??

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd looked at getting a set for my HF TagAlong trailer; I ended up just spraying the wheels silver. If you Google 8"wheel covers, you'll get some options.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I was going to get some for mine before I changed to the 12" wheels.
Try one of the farm stores and see if they will let you try them on your wheels

·
Registered
466 Posts
hubcaps from Lowes

My riding buddy got a set from Lowes that are made for a riding mower and they fit his HF Tagalong just fine and looked good

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found some wheel covers...

These are called 'Wheelies' and are made for garden tractors.

For clearance:

I removed the axle dust covers.

Placed (4) 1/2" washers on each wheel stud. These go on first, then wheel/tire.

There is just enough room for the covers to be securely mounted.

I gave it the 80mph test, along with the Illinois country road test and they passed... no balance, wobble or sway problems.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
These are called 'Wheelies' and are made for garden tractors.

For clearance:

I removed the axle dust covers.

Placed (4) 1/2" washers on each wheel stud. These go on first, then wheel/tire.

There is just enough room for the covers to be securely mounted.

I gave it the 80mph test, along with the Illinois country road test and they passed... no balance, wobble or sway problems.

[/URL][/IMG]
putting washers behind the wheel as spacers i would not recommend the wheel should be tight against the hub to keep stress off the lug nut area and give even contact on the hub. also removing the dust cap off the axle allows the grease to get contaminated and sling out during travel.the dust covers are there to keep grease in and dirt out. i have the same covers on my trailer and used a 2 1/4 inch hole saw and removed the center to allow the dust cap to fit properly with no spacers behind the wheel.
see photo 20140703_095239.jpg 20140702_124404.jpg

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
putting washers behind the wheel as spacers i would not recommend the wheel should be tight against the hub to keep stress off the lug nut area and give even contact on the hub. also removing the dust cap off the axle allows the grease to get contaminated and sling out during travel.the dust covers are there to keep grease in and dirt out. i have the same covers on my trailer and used a 2 1/4 inch hole saw and removed the center to allow the dust cap to fit properly with no spacers behind the wheel.
see photo View attachment 57222 View attachment 57223
8 lugs pretty much with less than 225lbs on them, in my case.
I have about 4000 miles on my trailer and inside of the dust covers were as clean as new.

After I get a few more miles, I'll post the results

1 - 13 of 13 Posts