GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of discussion on LED headlights so since I just burned out a high beam light on my 2002 gl1800 I thought I would see if anyone has tried these on their Goldwing,

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...568/?make=32&model=2661&scc_id=1941&year=2002

And, if you have tried them how did they work, fit, and install. Or, does anyone see a problem utilizing these. I talked with the Tech Folks at Super Bright LED's this morning and they feel I should not have any problem installing them. You do not need a resistor they mentioned. My concern is the compact heat sink and the rubber boot. Will the heat sink get so hot that it melts the rubber boot.

Second question, as I would not get these in time for a trip I have coming up, what wold you recommend for a replacement bulb until I returned from my trip. I picked up a SYLVANIA H7 XtraVision because it said on the back of the package that average life was 150 hours where the more expensive bulbs said average life was only 85 hours. No one in the store could explain to me what the average life meant. Heck, I ride a lot at night, wouldn't take but a couple months to burn through 150 hours.

Also, do many of you folks ride with your high beams on during the day for better visibility to oncoming traffic? Another concern for burning this bulb out sooner.

A lot of questions but greatly appreciate any help and what you thoughts are on these bulbs and riding with your brights on during the day for more visibility.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have the pathfinder Leds for both the hi and low beams. The low beams are the older style breaded wire heat sink and the hi beams are the newer style compact heat sink. Haven't had any problems with either.
One thing you might consider is the Pathfinders are claimed to be 4000LMs and 6000k which is brighter and I believe whiter than the ones from Superbright.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I know there has been a lot of discussion on LED headlights so since I just burned out a high beam light on my 2002 gl1800 I thought I would see if anyone has tried these on their Goldwing,

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...568/?make=32&model=2661&scc_id=1941&year=2002

And, if you have tried them how did they work, fit, and install. Or, does anyone see a problem utilizing these. I talked with the Tech Folks at Super Bright LED's this morning and they feel I should not have any problem installing them. You do not need a resistor they mentioned. My concern is the compact heat sink and the rubber boot. Will the heat sink get so hot that it melts the rubber boot.

Second question, as I would not get these in time for a trip I have coming up, what wold you recommend for a replacement bulb until I returned from my trip. I picked up a SYLVANIA H7 XtraVision because it said on the back of the package that average life was 150 hours where the more expensive bulbs said average life was only 85 hours. No one in the store could explain to me what the average life meant. Heck, I ride a lot at night, wouldn't take but a couple months to burn through 150 hours.

Also, do many of you folks ride with your high beams on during the day for better visibility to oncoming traffic? Another concern for burning this bulb out sooner.

A lot of questions but greatly appreciate any help and what you thoughts are on these bulbs and riding with your brights on during the day for more visibility.
:popcorn:

·
IronMan
17,636 Posts
Ck out p 9's from china really "bright" just did low beams !!! Dont need high (also have fog leds ) $40 rectangular suoper bright

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The lights you linked to are not a white light, more blue than white. For white light, you need a temperature rating of 5000
Less than 5000 is going yellow then red. When you go above 5000, the wavelength is getting shorter, thus less average energy, thus a dimmer light. Below 5000, the wavelength is longer but lower frequency, thus dimmer light. With LED's the lumens value is not as important as the temp rating. Led's are really cool, you can pick the color to match your persona to the light you are using.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I also ride with my "highs" on ALL THE TIME (daylight hours only/naturally) The more visibility/the better!

Ronnie

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ck out p 9's from china really "bright" just did low beams !!! Dont need high (also have fog leds ) $40 rectangular suoper bright
Huh?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
High beams

I also ride with my "highs" on ALL THE TIME (daylight hours only/naturally) The more visibility/the better!

Ronnie
You are still required by law to dim your bright lights when approaching traffic coming in the opposite direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts