GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a new Goldwing owner, having sold my Valkyrie Tourer and bought a used GL1800 about a month ago. It's a great bike and I love it! I had a couple of questions that I was hoping some of the Gurus here could answer...

1. I've noticed that both Kennedy and AirRider sell cellsets to integrate your cellphone into the bike's intercom system ad I was wondering if there was much difference. The AirRider setup is a little less expensive.

2. I'm thinking about getting a RAM mount to hold the cellphone and a cup holder, and was wondering if anyone had mounted the Butler cupholder on the RAM mount. The folding cupholder that they sell with the mount seems a little flimsy and I'd hate to get 20oz of Hhot Java in my lap when I hit a bump!

3. Finally, I been reading a lot of the messages here (great stuff!) and was thinking about getting the EC foglights but saw a message that said that they also run all the current for the lights through the switch just like Honda does? Is this the case or did I read it wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Welcome to the board, Rob! :D

I can't answer your question regarding the Kennedy vs. Airrider - my only experience is with the Kennedy equipment, but I can tell you that it's well-made and easy to connect.

Someone else will also have to help you on the Butler mounted on the RAM mount - I've got my Butler mounted directly to the handlebar...

The E/C foglights DO NOT run the full current of the lights through the switch like the OEM Honda wiring does. Their package includes the control relay and switch assembly and the switch only carries the relay current. Very worthy addition, in my book.

Congratulations on your purchase - you'll love it!

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Welcome to the board.
I too have gleamed a lot of information here, and received a lot of help from folks here including Jon (above).

I like my Kennedy GPS/Radar set. No phone for me. When I'm on the bike I want to be AWAY from the D*mn phone.

I am also very happy with the RAM mounts and their cup holder although it is not a large as the butler.

http://home.comcast.net/~ridetolive1/ws ... te1007.jpg

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
I can answer the question about the EC foglights. The answer is that the EC lamps run the current through a relay connected directly to the battery. The switch only turns on the relay. (The way Honda should have done it)

The factory switch can't even handle the 33 watts from the OEM foglights. The 55 watts from the EC's would burn it up very quickly if Lewis had done it the same way.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks Larry and Jon. Now I can go ahead and buy them. I have a shop manual so hopefully putting them in won't be too much of a hassle. 8)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I bought the EC Platinum lights and they come with very good directions and even color pictures for the install. :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was planning on

Yep! I like the look of the OEM switch. It seems to fit better than the others.

Rob

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Jon,

I just took a closer look at the picture in your message. How are the satellite radio and the Butler cup holder mounted? I thought that the Butler holder took up the screws on the clutch mounting.

Rob

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
welcome Rob.

I couldn't get the Air Rider to work with my phone,or my buddy's phone.We both have almost new,modern phones.
Air Rider told me that they were working on a unit that would be compatible with more phones.

The EC ion fog lights were one of my first additions to my 02. As others said,the instructions are very good.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Robmoore said:
Hey Jon,

I just took a closer look at the picture in your message. How are the satellite radio and the Butler cup holder mounted? I thought that the Butler holder took up the screws on the clutch mounting.

Rob
I've made a bracket that attaches to the same bolts as the Butler cup uses and is shaped to effectively hide the mount from view.

I finally came up with the correct sized spacers, bolts and washers to make a complete kit for those that don't have the Butler and hope to have the mounts ready for powder coating this week. They'll mount on either handlebar.

I've also got a mount for the Satellite antenna that puts it right behind the radio but mostly out of view, one for mounting the radio down low by the Goldwing badge on the shelter and a ground loop isolator cable that includes the right-angle connector shown on the radio and plugs directly into the white AUX input connector on the bike (no couplers needed).

I'll have more info and pictures of the mounts for those interested on my website when they're ready to ship.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have the butler mounted using their supplied bolts. mounts to either the left or right side handlebars using the clutch or the brake housing as backing. butler isnt flimsy at all...very sturdy and substantial. And welcome to the board Rob...ride safe!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the welcome. Gee, you don't look 93! :)

The issue I have is that I'd like to have a mount for the cellphone on the left handle bar and if I use the mount for the Butler mug, it will use up the bolts on the clutch mounting and I won't have room for it. I like the Butler cupholder and was wondering if anyone had mounted one on a RAM mount which would allow me to use both mounting balls and have both.

Rob

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Robmoore said:
The issue I have is that I'd like to have a mount for the cellphone on the left handle bar and if I use the mount for the Butler mug, it will use up the bolts on the clutch mounting and I won't have room for it. I like the Butler cupholder and was wondering if anyone had mounted one on a RAM mount which would allow me to use both mounting balls and have both. Rob
I'm sure you can bolt one of the RAM platforms to the butler base. I bolted one to the case of my 8500. Not hard to do if your half way handy with a drill :p

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Robmoore said:
... I like the Butler cupholder and was wondering if anyone had mounted one on a RAM mount which would allow me to use both mounting balls and have both.

Rob
I haven't tried this, but the Butler material is so thick and sturdy that you might be able to drill and tap it and screw the RAM ball assemblies directly into it. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on it (SPIII), but it might work for something like a phone.

Just another idea...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quickdraw,

Do you find that the RAM cupholder really holds onto the cup through bumps and whatever? It looks like the cups just sits in it and if you didn't have the right size, it would just bounce out.

Rob

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Robmoore said:
Do you find that the RAM cupholder really holds onto the cup through bumps and whatever? It looks like the cups just sits in it and if you didn't have the right size, it would just bounce out. Rob
The cup is definitely not in tight, but I've never had it bounce out. I have never seen it come close to leaving the bottom of the holder. I do have a cup wrap (I think the holder came with it) that secures the cup in, but I find it too hard to remove the cup with it installed. I'd look into the Butler mount attached to a RAM base. The butler would hold a lot more, however I have put a one liter water bottle in the holder when it's hot out. Soon, I'll plumb a two gallon thermos in my tank bag and never run out of water, or coffee :p I'll have to get an easy-leaker too, I suppose :lol: .

I do not put open cans of pop in that holder, What a mess the bouncing makes with those.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I'll look into the Butler holder attached to the RAM mount and see what I can figure out!

BTW, I also forgot to thank JJman and Jeff for their comments. This board is a great resource. Now If I could just figure out what to buy first...

Rob

:rw1:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Robmoore said:
Thanks! I'll look into the Butler holder attached to the RAM mount and see what I can figure out!

BTW, I also forgot to thank JJman and Jeff for their comments. This board is a great resource. Now If I could just figure out what to buy first...

Rob

Here's a tip: Buy it all, now and then sell what you don't want on eBay!

I've got a RAM kit with a spare mounting ball at home - I'll try mounting it to my Butler bracket and see how that works (just for fun). If it works, I'll post a pic - if not, I'll sell you a slightly used Butler :lol:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quickdraw suggested mounting the RAM mount to the Butler bracket. You're suggesting mounting the Butler holder to the RAM mount... Interesting! Post a picture if you can!

As for buying it all at once, the BOSS frowns(!) at me if I spend to much money too fast! (She like to spread it out?) I just bought an MP3 Player and my next purchase will probably be speakers or the mounting stuff we've been discussing. :angle1:

Rob

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Robmoore said:
Quickdraw suggested mounting the RAM mount to the Butler bracket. You're suggesting mounting the Butler holder to the RAM mount... Interesting! Post a picture if you can!
I was just out playing with this in the garage, and I don't think there's enough room to mount the ball in the limited "free plastic" available on the Butler bracket.

There are alternatives, though - I designed my mounts so I could mount the Satellite radio without requiring the bulkiness of the RAM system. Depending on your phone and the bracket it requires, you might be able to use one of my new brackets which will mount right behind your Butler bracket. (Or just get the Universal RAM handlebar mount and use longer screws and bolt it right on to the front of the Butler bracket as QD suggested).

Good luck on your "outfitting" :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts