GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

How's everyone doing? I thought I would post an introductory message. I have been putzing around reading the forums for a few months and thought I should probably actually say something. I have a 2013 Wing and like it quite a bit. It replaced a 2009 Nomad 1700 that I had. I also have a 2007 shadow 750 that I have kept hold of. I ride about 15,000 miles a year, so not alot, but not too bad. I assume I will ride quite a bit more this year.

I decided after the wife and I rode out to Deadwood/sturgis/wyoming on our big trip this year that I was done with the nomad and needed something bigger and more comfy. I decided on the way back when I was on the pig trail in Arkansas that it was time to break down and by a wing. Of course the first week I had my brand new wing I got rear ended with less than a thousand miles on it. Nothing I could do, I saw it coming. I could either get t-boned by a car doing 70, fall off a cliff and drop 4 stories (atleast), or get as far over as possible and brace for impact. I did the last. That is an entirely different story though.. :D Few months later and the wing is back good as new and I have dumped about 6-7k miles on it in the past few months.

I like doing all kinds of riding from endurance to sight seeing. I have a trip planned to ride out to san antonio in the next few weeks and plan on hitting the three twisted sisters while I am out there. I also have a big trip planned (18 days) out to the grand canyon, vegas, death valley, tombstone, sedona, roswell, devils highway, route 66, blah blah and a ton of other things planned for late May.

I am about to purchase a bushtec trailer, thinking about getting the quantum gl new painted to match the bike. If anybody thinks I should be looking elsewhere for trailers around the same price point please let me know.

I look forward to contributing something to the forum, if not just horrible witty banter. I hope to ride with some of the wingers on here one day. I do ride with a club, so group ride quite frequently. I am less than 2 1/2 hrs from the dragon and ride the smoky mountains and surrounding areas quite a bit.

I love the twisties and mountain views.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome aboard from Colorado. Keep the shiny side up at all times and ride like you're invisible!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I would also like to add a warm welcome from the booming metropolis of Acworth!

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
​Welcome from Sunny Florida. Check out and think about joining us in June for the Smoky Mountain Ride In held in Bryson City, NC.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Big welcome from vero beach,fl. Enjoy the family.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hello corigan,

Sounds like you've made some really nice rides. You must be retired!

I'm hoping to retire in about a year and a half myself, if all goes as planned. Hoping the wife and I can take some of those nice long rides then.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Upgrade

Welcome Corigan,

Same trip on a Yamaha Roadster made us decide to start looking. We bought our 2012 two years ago and just love it. Sorry about the accident, glad you're OK. Only problem with the wing is deciding where to ride it next. Too many choices. Safe travels.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Great intro, welcome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I also have a big trip planned (18 days) out to the grand canyon, vegas, death valley, tombstone, sedona, roswell, devils highway, route 66, blah blah and a ton of other things planned for late May.
Been to those places and loved every minute of that riding.
When you get to Tombstone keep an eye out for Wyatt Erp. He IS there!!

Welcome!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, what a wonderful welcome. Thanks Ya'll. :D Glad to see some locals on here from Acworth and Cartersville, always riding in those areas.

"Welcome" Enjoy your new Wing. Sorry you got rear ended! Glad you are able to Post!
Thanks, I wish I could say getting rear ended was the worst accident I have had. :/ I actually picked the wing back up and rode it 2 hrs home after the accident. Got nailed by a Ram 1500 truck. Atleast I mostly got out of the way so it only hit the left half of the bike. I held on, but when the bike hit the ground again (It lifted me up), I got ejected when it hit the ground. Not enough rodeo lessons. :D

​Welcome from Sunny Florida. Check out and think about joining us in June for the Smoky Mountain Ride In held in Bryson City, NC.
Hey Tom, I may just do that. When is it in June? I am going on a big trip in late may/early june so may not be in town. I tried to make last years but missed it. Some guy on a wing handed me a flyer on 28 in cowee, nc at the gas station one day. Nice fellow.

Hello corigan,

Sounds like you've made some really nice rides. You must be retired!

I'm hoping to retire in about a year and a half myself, if all goes as planned. Hoping the wife and I can take some of those nice long rides then.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the Welcome. I am, not retired. I am only 36. Covered in tattoos, big goatee southern boy. I am a manager for a big Internet Company (I'm a tech geek), and have been with them for 8 years. I accrue about 5 weeks of time off a year currently. I spend it well! I also have to travel for my job, so I get work to expense the gas and I just ride instead of flying. I am hoping to break 30k miles this year, but we will see. I hope your retirement plans come to fruition. I can't wait until I can actually retire. Right now I am doing real well on my end game, and it looks like I will hopefully be able to early retire around 50.

Welcome Corigan,

Same trip on a Yamaha Roadster made us decide to start looking. We bought our 2012 two years ago and just love it. Sorry about the accident, glad you're OK. Only problem with the wing is deciding where to ride it next. Too many choices. Safe travels.
Thank you kindly. I am glad I am not the only one who dreamed of a bigger bike in the middle of a ride. I had almost bought a goldwing when I rode from Atlanta, GA to Sturgis, MI on a shadow 750 straight through. I was just staring at one, but held off. Eventually, it overcame me and I could hold out no longer. The nomad wasn't going to cut the mustard for a cross country bike for the wifey and me. If I was riding solo it would have been fine, but for 2 up cross country, it was lacking.

Welcome from NY!! Sounds like you've got a full riding season planned, enjoy the new ride!!
Thanks, I already am. I've done about 6k miles on here in the last few months. Luckily down here we can still ride. Set of Gerbings and all is good.

Welcome. Love your part of the country.
Me too! I can ride mountain backroads all the way up to the smoky mountains and surrounding areas. It's awesome and a great place to ride.

Great intro, welcome
Thank you!

Been to those places and loved every minute of that riding.
When you get to Tombstone keep an eye out for Wyatt Erp. He IS there!!

Welcome!!!
Thanks! I can't wait. Spending 2 days in tombstone and the surrounding areas, so it should be alot of fun. I can't wait for this trip. I am sandwiching alot of sight seeing into it. Also going to be nice as I will be in Vegas for my birthday and have a room at the Venetian. Got tickets to the mirage for the cirque du soliliel beatles love show. I have a few trips planned infront of this one, but this is the one that is making me excited.

Thanks everyone for the extremely warm welcome. I really appreciate it.

On another note looks like I am going to probably get a Hannigan Sierra trailer instead of a bushtec.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts