GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have here on Vancouver Island for the last ten days with my family. Lovely place to vist, I will certainly come back but next time on the bike.

I have noticed that the vast majority of motorcyclists (but not all) that I see are wearing Hi-Vis jackets or vests, even the Harley types! Is this a requirement if you are registered in Canada?

I wear a Hi-Vis jacket myself but will be the first to admit its an ugly color. Still, I would rather be seen.

Larry

·
Registered
468 Posts
Not in B.C.
Cliff.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Perhaps they are a little more "intelligent" up there?
We have our share of "Loud Pipes Save Lives" and "This beanie is worth more than my brains" types here too. The Hi-viz types are just easier to see. :lol:

I've been noticing more of them too. My wife finally figured there are enough hi-viz wearers out there that she wants one now too. :) Last year I got grief for buying grey mesh jackets after the black leather, this year it's because I haven't bought the hi-viz yet.
:roll:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not required in Nova Scotia, but more and more bikers are starting to wear them, I have been wearing Hi-viz for over 10 years and am finally getting some company.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Not required in BC, but the local HOG chapter has some road captains that really promote safe riding. Harley makes a hi-vis vest that is becoming very popular.

Motorcycle training in BC is well respected, and many new riders take it. During their training they must wear vests on the street, some riders then purchase their own.

If you are in Victoria on July 9th, stop in at Western Speedway from 9am - 3pm, there is an Open House for riders. Lots of dealers, a riding circuit to try, and a couple of police departments will be there.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
They get alot of rain on the West coast so I would imagine it is for better visibility when riding in inclement weather. Also, there are soooooooo many seniors on the Island, and they don't all see so well! A high vis jacket would probably be a very smart idea . . . :thumbup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you are in Victoria on July 9th, stop in at Western Speedway from 9am - 3pm, there is an Open House for riders. Lots of dealers, a riding circuit to try, and a couple of police departments will be there.
Typical of my luck. :( I'll be there on the 15th for a few days.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
A good idea is a good idea, no matter where or what you ride. It just seems to have cought on a bit better there.
Loud colors and horns seem a bit more effective than some other strategies. LOL

Have a great trip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
sharkwl;3374847[SIZE=4 said:
][/SIZE]They get alot of rain on the West coast so I would imagine it is for better visibility when riding in inclement weather. Also, there are soooooooo many seniors on the Island, and they don't all see so well! A high vis jacket would probably be a very smart idea . . . :thumbup:
RAINGEAR I suspect.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Not required in Manitoba. I try to buy my gear with a little more visibility in it but to be honest if they don't see my bright red Wing I doubt a hi vis jacket/vest is going to make much difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts