GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma that maybe someone can help with, more of a disagreement with my son more than anything else, in relation to Hi Viz jackets. He thinks they don't provide any more "help" and I think they do.

I'm toying with purchasing a new Hi Viz jacket and here is my rational for it.

I just got back from the second long ride this year and both times it rained, visibility was reduced ( obviously) and with Black Frogg Toggs on, I think, it made it worse for others to see me. A couple of close calls in the rain that I don't seem to experience when it's not raining. My wife wears a Hi Viz Field Sheer jacket but the toggs cover it. I wear an Olympia Air Mesh 2, black.

With that said, I'm looking to buy a new Hi viz, water proof jacket such as the AST 2, Revit Dragon or possibly the Tourmaster Transition 2. Each of these would avoid having to put on the Frogg Togg top and "I THINK" provide much more visibility for the cagers. I don't want a vest, I want to carry less not more, so am opting for the Hi Viz jacket and leaving the Togg top at home.

Anyone have experience with any of the above, other suggestions for Hi Viz water proof wear etc. Other jackets you've tried, used or have experience with.

One last thing........is there any data to support that Hi Viz ( other than logic) helps provide a higher degree of safety...........maybe an MSF report???

Thanks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I don't know about backup data for the hi-vis clothing, but I know that all military bases require hi-vis vests to ride on the bases. Usually the military studies these things pretty thoroughly.

Joe in Modesto

·
Registered
430 Posts
Harley has a pretty extensive selection of Hi-Viz gear on their web site. I have one of their Hi-Viz 2-piece rainsuits. Excellent quality, but of course it says H_D on it and that would be a problem for many.

This year I've tried something new in my travels rain or shine. On the trunk rack bag I put some Hi-Viz material under the bungee net so it's easily seen from the back. Others have told me they notice it from a long ways behind me...maybe better than if I wore it because from behind much of the rider is blocked on these bikes when they're packed.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I know that when I am in the car...whether RAIN, SNOW, SUN, CLOUDS, DARKNESS.....I NEVER EVER EVER MISS THAT motorcycle guy who wears that FLORSCENT YELLOW HELMET.....EVER.

Personally I wear a 1 piece rain suit....YELLOW.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think you're on the right track. My next jacket will almost certainly be a Hi-Viz. I'm seeing more and more of them and they DO stand out more to me. Though I haven't had the Transition, I have had various jackets, pants and gloves from Tourmaster and always had good luck. Don't overlook this option:
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/TextileJackets/CSSKilimanjaro.html

I've heard nothing but raves about this jacket. Not inexpensive, but it will be #1 on my list when I get my next jacket.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Here are some stats;
http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/0.3.full

I've sold more than a few riders on the white helmet and high-viz gear when riding through heavily forested areas. I get lots of comments on how much easier it is to pick me up ahead.

One of the biggest proofs of concept to me is when I am parked in a shady area. The Wing can almost be invisible from 100 yards away, but the helmet, jacket and pants almost seem to be glowing.

I feel that high-viz helps the people who are looking for you see you in less than optimal conditions. It also help those who have just glanced to spot you. I don't feel that it helps at all for people who are not looking for you, the same people who would pull out in front of an 18-wheeler.

There is no "be-all - end-all" solution. I just try to stack the odds in my favor, grabbing every advantage I can, and hiviz is one of those cards up my sleeve. Hiviz, armor, mesh kevlar, road-racing boots, leather gloves, full-face helmet, annual training, books, discusssion, ABS, air-bag,..., these are all things I use to stack the deck. My goal is to minimise the impact that "luck" has on my chances for survival, and it helps me to feel more comfortable with the high risk activity of riding a motorcycle. It helps me to have more fun.

As for gear, I feel that Cycleport/Motoport is some of the best gear money can buy.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that the Hi-Viz makes a HUGE difference. We have the Olympia Airglide hi-viz and we get comments all the time from drivers telling us how "visible" we are, even from a mile away.

Watch any professional sports event and when the show a wide angle of the stadium, the security people wearing the hi-viz shirts literally jump off your TV screen they are so visible.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
It seems I read a "report" saying the frontal mass (fairing) and color did help with visibility. All the other things that I've been privvy to were non-conclusive. I think there is still an ammount of resistance to the stuff, but that is just my opinion.

Yes it helps. Is it 100%? No. Is it a cure all? No, again. Could it possibly catch the eye of the one person with a burning desire to pull out in front of you? Stack the odds in your favor. One thing probably won't get it, but several including the safety device in between your ears will come to play for sure.

No experience with the jackets you referenced, but the First Gear line is a good one.

Best of luck and Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
With that said, I'm looking to buy a new Hi viz, water proof jacket such as the AST 2, Revit Dragon or possibly the Tourmaster Transition 2.
Similar discussion going on in the LDrider list right now. LOTS of favorable comments on the Olympia gear. No favorable comments on the Revit products at all.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Have no staistics or research infromation but from personal experience..the high-vis stuff really stands out and can be seen, is noticed.

Approaching two riders on similar bikes, one in high-vis other in "normal" gear. The high-vis guy stood out like a light bulb in a dark room by comparison and..this was mid-day in the sunshine.

Have noticed the same thing about the Pearl Yellow Wing in general, very noticeable by comparion to others.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I always ride the tail gunners position when we ride. Especially now that I'm on a trike. I wear a Tourmaster Sonora Hi-Viz jacket. And a white helmet. After a ride last year in all day rain, sometimes very heavy. The guys said they always knew where I was. They say even in daylight, I stand out like a sore thumb. LOL So, IMHO, Hi Viz does indeed work. And white helmets have already been proven for visibility. My wife cut some reflective tape into designs and stuck them on the helmet also. Hope this helps with your decision. Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
:agree:Been using Hi Viz for about 3 years. It makes perfect sense too. Sure was kidded enough about it from all my Bud's, but for some strange reason.... I am seeing a lot more Hi Viz in my riding group!
Hmmmmmmmm!:?: Coincidence?
I think not!

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife and I wear HI VIZ mesh jackets and I just like the extra visibility. I just purchased a set of Frogg Toggs and I got the Road Toggs. They were the only ones that came in HI VIZ for both the pants and jacket. Friends say they can sure see us in the rain. It's just like going to the HID headlights, you want people to see you a little more especially in inclement weather. I hope that this helps a little. The other feature I liked about the Road Toggs is that the sleeve has velcro at the end so you can pull it tight so rain doesn't go up your sleeve.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You WILL be Seen (With Hi-Viz Gear)

I wear a hi-viz mesh jacket and a Scorpion Exo-900 hi-viz flip face helmet. Everywhere I go, people comment on being able to see me a mile away, even in heavy traffic. Oh, BTW I ride a Pearl HotRod Yellow Wing also. You still need to keep on your toes and ride as if no one can see you. Believe me, there are still people not paying attention doing "whatever" that will flat run over you or pull out in front of you. I would never go back to wear neutral colors. It's a war out there, and you need every advantage to be able to survive in this day and age :yes1:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
I completely agree with Hi-viz riding gear, but I didn't wear out my present gear yet,
but would definitely replace everything with Hi-viz, even my underwear............:22yikes:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I provide no scietific nor statisically proven data, but....

construction crews and road workers are required to wear "hi-viz" and they sure do stand out

I certainly readliy notice any motorcycle riders wearing 'Hi viz" especially in low light situations

Fact is Hi Viz can be a positve and I cannot think of any probable negative

That said...just got a set of Olymia Air Glide III jackets for the wife and I in the "TOXIC" color for the same reasons you are considering the purchase.....essentially a three season jacket and very bright that we can (and have) worn in the rain

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK so I opted for the Airglide 3 by Olympia, I just ordered it. I hadn't considered it until Cruiseman said something about it. I currently have an Olympia Airmesh 2 and really like the jacket but don't like the fact that it's black and only has the single thermal liner in it, it's waterproof but WAY too hot to wear in the 90's! So basically I was wearing a black Frogg Togg over a black jacket was just making me too nervous and I wasn't enjoying the ride this time around......in the rain.

The Airglide 3 has two liners, one water proof and one thermal, this way I get the best of both worlds, pack the thermal and ride with the rain liner if needed.

I was considering those other jackets as a true 4 season type thing but in reality, I don't ride in the winter ( too much snow!). Since I like the airmesh already, I figured I just go with what I know, thanks again Cruiseman, never thought about going down that road but you brought me to my senses.........one of the many reasons I like this board.

I think the Hi Viz clothing has merit in it's own right and as said, I'd like to give myself every opportunity to be seen. I laughed when the SO bought a bright NEON jacket from FieldSheer but she is now the one laughing, it's her bright-neon behind me that's saved our bacon more than once, so now it's time to put more NEON on the bike.

We're going to look like bright grapes going down the road and I hope every cager thinks the same thing.........."Look at those bright grapes", at least we'll have been seen by most everyone but the morons out there.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I agree that hi-viz garments are a good thing and help make us easier to be seen. I bought some silver relective tape and put some strips and dots on my wife's and my helmet. Folks who ride with us after dark say they can see those strips moving and reflecting at times even when they can't tell what is causing the reflection. I think hi-viz colors are great, but i think the reflective strips on clothing are even better!

One thing to keep in mind ... the travelling public is getting more and more used to seeing all kinds of people wearing this safety gear on and along the roadways. At first, the folks wearing the stuff attracted lots of attention, but as people get used to seeing it all the time every day, they react to it less and less. It becomes a usual part of the scenery. It is still very good to wear it, but don't think that just because you have it on, you can quit worrying about being seen!!!

Wear it, like it, but put it on and then forget it's on ... continue to ride like nobody sees you!!! Some will see you, but don't ever relax. Don't quit riding safe!!! Take advantage of all the help it will give you, but don't expect it to cause everyone to sit up and take notice.

I bought a reflective harness sort of like a pair of suspenders with a waist belt that is infinitely adjustable and easy to put on and take off. Has a buckle on the waist belt and adjusters on the straps. Takes up little space in my gear. If I have to cover up reflective gear for some reason, or transition to say a leather jacket for cold, it's a simple matter to slip on the reflective harness and still be shining. Doesn't cost a lot, and is always on the bike if I'm not wearing it. It will fit comfortably over anything. Bought it from Whitehorse Gear. Get an extra for your passenger. Don't leave home without it!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Good choice on Olympia, I have had the jacket and also the full Phantom suit, all in high-viz. I now where the Motoport jacket in high-viz and the Scorpion helmet. I always get comments on being seen. The avatar picture is the Olympia jacket and the signature picture is the Motoport. Olympia is brighter yellow, Motoport more green, both work great!!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts