GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Premium Member
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife no longer rides, she follows in a chase vehicle. During our trip from St. Petersburg to Daytona Beach FL in October I got a quarter mile or so ahead of her on the interstate and I was packed up with about five other cycles. Wife told me I was the only one in the pack that could clearly be seen. She said my hi viz attire beamed like a beacon and it made her happy I was wearing it. I'll be 69 in March, I had a cycle when we married 29 years ago and have never been without one. She has not said it but has hinted she would like for me to give up motorcycling. Until then I'm glad she can SEE I'm trying to stay as safe as I can while riding. Whatever you wear to ride, enjoy.

· Registered
4,339 Posts
We especially wear hi-viz at night or when there's reduced visibility.

A Gold Wing has decent rear lighting, but others do not. We were following a bunch of bikes one night and it really surprised us at the lack of visibility.

Some reflective piping or stripes on a jacket or helmet really shows up in the headlights.

Helmet Peripheral Hard hat Sports gear Input device

· Registered
2018 DCT Tour
1,356 Posts
Larry,
I was thinking about this Hi-vis thing. We've debated this matter on these pages before. We all want to be seen, but most of us for a VERY different reason than the the stereo-typical V-twin rider with aftermarket bling plastered all over the bike (to each his own). It's all about self-defense. Nobody wants to hear a driver say, "He just came out of nowhere, I never saw him..." while we're waiting for the ambulance to show up. As much as we try to drive defensively, there's not much that we can do about the drivers behind us. However, a good high-vis jacket sure increases our visibility during the daylight hours. I wear one for that very reason.
Same reason I bought an aftermarket brake light to sit on top of my trunk. And here's a thought: how can one know just how many times that high-vis jacket made the difference when stuff is going on behind us that we never actually notice?

· Registered
1,774 Posts
I ride for pleasure, not as a fashion statement.

We've been wearing Hi-Viz mesh jackets AND helmets for years.

One of my modular helmet actually have a L.E.D light at back of it which can stay on steady or flash.

Riding to us is all about the journey AND getting there in ONE piece, be it work or pleasure ride.

Wearing the "bad-a$$" black and leather just isn't our tyle of cruising. We're what's called "motorcycle enthusiasts", NOT bad-a$$ bikers.

· Registered
2,553 Posts
Don't forget the visibility at the front of the motorcycle. That's where a majority of motorcycle accidents occur.
If I'm not mistaken, Hi-vis jackets, helmets and other gear can be seen from all directions/sides regardless, unlike the linear visibility of just lighting.
While I have no doubt that Hi-Vis really works there will be plenty that disagree but that's OK, they are responsible for there actions/decisions as we all are.

· Registered
07 Air Bag
4,462 Posts
Have you guys every really looked at the back of a Wing to see how much of your hi viz is showing? If you have a trunk on top of the rear I doubt that anytihn gother than you helmet, and maybe you elbows, can be seen. Your back is hidden behind the seat back rest, the passenger, and the trunk.

· Registered
2,480 Posts
So, here's a good read for you, although it really don't show the statistics of wearing Hi-viz gear vs no Hi-viz gear...

Hi-viz or not to Hi-viz...
Interesting article, for which I was previously unaware.

The study confirms my thoughts on why some of us wear hi-viz and some don’t. Vanity is a terrible thing. . . LOL.

Thanks for posting.

Tim

· Registered
2021 Gold Wing Tour
52 Posts
I've added an accessory light to the back of my helmet that I use during hours of darkness, fog, and any other environmental conditions in which it may prove beneficial. It can be set for steady or a few different flashing patterns, as well as different color combinations. I use a flashing yellow/orange pattern. It's on the back of my helmet, so it's easily seen and is not static, as it moves with my head. The added weight is such that I don't notice it. The picture doesn't do it justice - it's attention getting.

Headgear Motorcycle accessories Helmet Sports equipment Automotive design

· Registered
3,490 Posts
Hi viz and stylish. Right where they belong. In front of the "run, Forrest, run" driveway.

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

When I replaced my helmet a few years back, I wanted a white one but there was a screaming deal on hi-viz closeouts. So I doubled down on stylishness. I couldn't not slap a happy face on that silly yellow circle. It's a crowd pleaser. And there's nothing creepy about it at night.

Smile Happy Emoticon Audio equipment Smiley

Smile Toy Emoticon Art Font

1 - 20 of 84 Posts