GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 98 Posts

· Registered
3,502 Posts
Hi-viz is great but you end up looking like a highway worker. I agree though, it IS attention getting which is the point after all.
Of the many things I've been mistaken for, fireman is the winner when on foot. Fluorescent bunker gear. A few of them were particularly funny with either nervous old ladies or arrogant Karens in downtown Bethesda coffee shops, or crossing the street.

I used to work in the Pentagon and would sometimes commute by motorcycle. The regular population there is pretty jaded and has largely seen it all, no big deal. A few times, though, I had to make my way past a tour group and got some reactions. One in particular it appears they thought I was carrying ebola or uranium through the A ring.

· Registered
2,493 Posts
Have you guys every really looked at the back of a Wing to see how much of your hi viz is showing? If you have a trunk on top of the rear I doubt that anytihn gother than you helmet, and maybe you elbows, can be seen. Your back is hidden behind the seat back rest, the passenger, and the trunk.
Your comment is a head-scratcher.

1. Not all motorcycles have trunks. If they do, hi-viz is still likely visible to some degree. Every bit helps, IMHO.
  2. Have you ever really walked around a hi-viz wearing rider and observed how much hi-viz is visible in 360 degrees around the rider? The effectiveness of conspicuity measures is not reliant solely on visibility of rider and machine from the rear.
Tim

· Registered
1,378 Posts
I wish finding hi-viz attire was easier. I wear a hi-viz mesh jacket during the riding season and wish there was a similar selection for cooler weather riding.

· Registered
1,785 Posts
Hi viz and stylish. Right where they belong. In front of the "run, Forrest, run" driveway.

View attachment 413417

When I replaced my helmet a few years back, I wanted a white one but there was a screaming deal on hi-viz closeouts. So I doubled down on stylishness. I couldn't not slap a happy face on that silly yellow circle. It's a crowd pleaser. And there's nothing creepy about it at night.

View attachment 413418

View attachment 413419
If that smiley face don't get their attention, you were doomed any way...😁🤣

· Registered
1,785 Posts
I wish finding hi-viz attire was easier. I wear a hi-viz mesh jacket during the riding season and wish there was a similar selection for cooler weather riding.

Here's one

Search google for Hi-viz winter jackets.

· Registered
07 Air Bag
4,463 Posts
Your comment is a head-scratcher.

1. Not all motorcycles have trunks. If they do, hi-viz is still likely visible to some degree. Every bit helps, IMHO.
  2. Have you ever really walked around a hi-viz wearing rider and observed how much hi-viz is visible in 360 degrees around the rider? The effectiveness of conspicuity measures is not reliant solely on visibility of rider and machine from the rear.
Tim
I said IF you have a trunk.

You can't, or at least should not, equate riding around with hi-viz to walking around.

You're right about 360 degrees. While riding the two primary views that drivers see are what? Rear and Front. The sides are not that big of a deal. By the time they see your sides it is too late for them to avoid you. And what can they see from the front? YOur lights and your windscreen and maybe the top of your helmet. Your windscreen and fairing are going to hide most of your hi-viz.

Personally, I hope your hi-viz works and people can see you/me/us.

· Registered
2014 HD FLHTK Ultra Limited, 2003 Honda ST1300A
96 Posts
I have a hi-viz vest that I wear over my riding gear.
My ST1300 has a bit of hi-viz tape plastered all over.
Haven’t done that to GW or Harley yet….

Helmet Plant High-visibility clothing Beard Tree

Tire Sky Vehicle Wheel Automotive side-view mirror

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
2,493 Posts
I said IF you have a trunk.

You can't, or at least should not, equate riding around with hi-viz to walking around.

You're right about 360 degrees. While riding the two primary views that drivers see are what? Rear and Front. The sides are not that big of a deal. By the time they see your sides it is too late for them to avoid you. And what can they see from the front? YOur lights and your windscreen and maybe the top of your helmet. Your windscreen and fairing are going to hide most of your hi-viz.

Personally, I hope your hi-viz works and people can see you/me/us.
Hmmm, I find that whenever I ride through an intersection, folks perpendicular to my path can see me. I guess your riding environment is much different than mine.

Tim

· Registered
2,557 Posts
Have you guys every really looked at the back of a Wing to see how much of your hi viz is showing? If you have a trunk on top of the rear I doubt that anytihn gother than you helmet, and maybe you elbows, can be seen. Your back is hidden behind the seat back rest, the passenger, and the trunk.
That's why my helmet will always be Hi-Vis. Had several motorists at gas stops, etc comment on how easy it was to notice from a distance. There is no real disputing it, but if it's not on a person's preference they aren't going to use it and/or will find all the excuses not to. That's up to you.

· Registered
9,513 Posts
Florida, your post is the "BEST" ever......(y) I never ride w/out my Hi Viz yellow.............
Last year I was ride'n with two friends, one Harley (dressed in black) and a Suzuki (dressed in Hi viz yellow) I got caught at a red light, my two friends continued on, they were maybe 1/2 mile away from me, (going slow so I could catch up) the yellow jacket was like a 3,000 watt light bulb, the gent in black totally disappeared ... I could not see him, even though they were ride'n side by side.............From that day on, I knew that I would never ride w/o Hi VIz....
Great post here sir!!

Ronnie
1/24/23

· Registered
2,923 Posts
I have been testing out the "Brake Free"helmet light unit. So far I am vary impressed.
My co riders following me have all commented how super visible it is when braking or
sharply slowing down.
Most motorcycle tail lights are low to the ground. And it seems newer bikes, like the
Gen-6 Goldwing have even less or smaller stock tail-brake lights.
I've added more and also pulse flashers to my bike. However the Brake Free brings
high intensity LED's up to driver eye levels.
Just a thought to add to this conversation.

Corventure Dave

· Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussions on the effectiveness of hi-viz is like discussions WE ALL ENJOY 🤣 on Sta-Bil fuel additives, battery tenders for long term storage, and oil change intervals. . .

There are “believers”, non-“believers”, and skeptics. No matter what anyone says, no one will change their mind. Ever. :)

Tim
Hey, Tim. You forgot the "loud pipe save lives" folks...🫣

· Registered
19 Posts
There are “believers”, non-“believers”, and skeptics. No matter what anyone says, no one will change their mind. Ever. :)
... and some of us are just looking for more information, for more informed decisions. I know what I know, and I have a small inkling of what I don't know, but would like to know. Thanks to all who have commented and contributed to the latter.

I'm a big fan of hi-vis reflective clothing. My favourite jacket has become quite faded - my friends say it is noticeable because it is so faded :confused: - so I have augmented it with a hi-vis vest that also conveys an essential message.

Jersey Orange Textile Sleeve Sportswear
Outerwear Jersey Textile Sleeve Orange

My wife tells me she can see the top 1/3 of the vest over the GWT's top case ... better than nothing!

· Registered
2014 HD FLHTK Ultra Limited, 2003 Honda ST1300A
96 Posts
Although I've been riding Harley since 1979 and very few years without one in the fleet, I don't have obnoxious (to me) pipes on my bikes. Since this pic was taken have put on a mellow sounding Vance & Hines pipes.
Lighting on the back of this current Harley is stock with exception of fender tail light below licence plate.
It was regular incandescent light and added the LED light from HD.
The strip lighting on tourpak is running/brake/turn signals.

Adding the filler LED lights in the openings between fender and saddlebags and the saddlebag LED lights which are horizontal below bag lids in the spring.

Will give me tons of lighting on back besides my riding gear.
I generally ride at the back to keep the group together so that they also don't have to stare in the lights.

My ST1300 has stock lights along with Hyperlites mounted. Have the Honda factory spoiler (running and brake) to add to its pack in spring.

The Goldwing is lacking in lights. Adding the socalmoto sequential turn signals to bottom of bags along with Kisantech Tailblazer modules.

Like to be seen front/rear/and sides.
Hi-viz gear helps.

Just my opinion but I've been taken out by drivers in cages.
I may look like a UFO but at least they see the UFO...

a friend rides a Harley Ultra Limited similar to mine but black, with 'smoke' LED lights, black jacket with black helmet. He gets to ride in front of me.

Dale

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire

21 - 40 of 98 Posts