GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the talk of hid lights all the time I thought I would give some feed back..

I purchased my set from http://www.goldwinghids.com/ About 4-6 months ago,They worked great.Then I had my left side go out ,Thought I blew a bulb so I contacted goldwing hid,& asked if that was common for the bulbs to blow so quick ( He stated it was not),He asked me to switch bulbs from left to right to verify it was the bulb & not the ballast.I did just that & it turned out to be the ballast,so I told hime & he said do not worry you have a 2 year warranty,I will ship you one right out,Well I received it as promised & all is good again..Lights are all working..

So I Just wanted to give them a shout out & a thank you ,for their service.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Good thing to hear. I bought a set at Wing Ding and was considering adding a high beam set. Anyone running two sets and how do they work?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I don't have any ride time w/ a m/c and HID lights, but my son has them in his truck. I don't care for them (He loves them.) To me, it seems the light falls off suddenly, and then it is dark, making it hard to see further down the road. They are also so bright it creates a glare, and that bothers me. I put the Sylvania Silver Stars in my truck. When I need to replace one of my Wings headlights, both will get the Silver Stars. I really do like them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
To answer the question, I have had hid's on both the high and low beams for over a year now. The highs take about 15 seconds to reach full bright, so if I need a longer reach on my beams in a hurry, I just turn the aim up on my lows until the highs are full bright. They really make a big difference I can light up at least twice as far as the stock lights. I won't change back to stock. If you need to flash your beams at on coming traffic, I just hit my starter button a couple of times, this interrupts the low beam power (doesn't run the starter) and they get the idea.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
GoldWing HID's

I bought at WindDing this year. The install was quick and easy. The hardest part had nothing to do with the install except being able to see where I was putting the ballasts. I removed the instrument cluster and the boots for the plugs on the back of the instrument cluster on the '06-'10's are next to impossible to get back on. If you can just unbolt and raise it up to stick the ballasts to the speaker boxes, then there will be no problem at all. I still have to get used to the look on the road when I need high beams. A bright white spot surrounded by yellow from the H7's.

My reason for buying had noting to do with "how bright" or any of the usual. I bought because there is no filament to shatter after 6-8 months of use. Yes, I regularly replace H7 Low beam bulbs every 6-8 months...and have been doing that since early 2001 with my first GL1800. I have a bench full of dead H7's with dates and mileage for in and dead written on the metal base. Yes, I know not to touch the bulb and usually put on gloves just in case.

It has only been one month of use and so far, I like them. Road signs really pop out of the darkness more than I have ever seen before. I do not have "glare" issues with them and my eyes are very sensitive to glare. So much so, that I must have polarized sunglasses to be able keep my eyes open in the daytime (even in heavy overcast). I like to have my eyes open when I ride......

·
Registered
17 Posts
HID Lights for GL1800

Because I analyze damn near everything, I studied HID for the GL1800 extensively. Tried a few of the no name but affordable ones (which turned out not to be so affordable after they crap out)nevertheless from what I gathered from fellow "wingers" I decided to order GoldwingHids. Spoke to Tim, he answered all my pesty questions. They ain't cheap but,I'm reminded of something my mamma told me as a kid, never skimp on your feet or your eyes. Hey we buy one of the finest bikes on the road,we put on top rated tires, why go cheap on the lights?
Here's a question, got modulators on the low beams. Told I shouldn't put em on the HID's, wondering if I moved em to the high would you be able to see em since the HID are so much brighter? Would you recommend putting HID's on both low and high beams? Since HID's suck so much power when you hit the starter, does it make sense to but a auxiliary switch on the lights so I can switch em on AFTER I crank her up and get her running?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
HIDs actually consume less power than a comparable lumen producing halogen bulbs. Most are placing 35w HIDs in the Wing to replace the 55w halogen bulbs on the Wing. And even at the lower power consumption, the HIDs produce close to twice the amount of lumens as the OEM H7 bulbs.

They run on high voltage but low overall power. The need for high voltage can sometimes cause issues with the HIDs firing correctly before the alternator is spun up and producing full power. That and the fact that HIDs don't like to be "flashed" or cycled on/off a lot makes the relay that Lewis has a nice add on for HIDs.

You don't need the relay to help to start the bike with HIDs though.

Because I analyze damn near everything, I studied HID for the GL1800 extensively. Tried a few of the no name but affordable ones (which turned out not to be so affordable after they crap out)nevertheless from what I gathered from fellow "wingers" I decided to order GoldwingHids. Spoke to Tim, he answered all my pesty questions. They ain't cheap but,I'm reminded of something my mamma told me as a kid, never skimp on your feet or your eyes. Hey we buy one of the finest bikes on the road,we put on top rated tires, why go cheap on the lights?
Here's a question, got modulators on the low beams. Told I shouldn't put em on the HID's, wondering if I moved em to the high would you be able to see em since the HID are so much brighter? Would you recommend putting HID's on both low and high beams? Since HID's suck so much power when you hit the starter, does it make sense to but a auxiliary switch on the lights so I can switch em on AFTER I crank her up and get her running?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts