Registered
80 Posts
Hid's

Have you had any static in your radio's from the HID"S

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hid's

Thanks , I was told that if I installed my HID'S I would get a lot of static so I haven't installed them until I find more info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for the response ,Thats neat, I have the same I have the same color Bike,Just haven"t been able to put a picture up yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
LOL, guess I should have looked at what I typed

·
Registered
134 Posts
You are NOT supposed to replace halogen lamps with high intensity discharge lamps WITHOUT the projection lens assembly. All you do is blind other drivers when you do that. Those kids on the other side of the highway that have ridiculously bright headlights on their ricer.....that's what you'll look like to on coming traffic.

In order to to this properly, you have many hours of work are ahead of you. It is absolutely necessary to have the proper lamps, projection assembly and lens to focus the beam.

Below is a URL explaining the proper (and only) way to do it using headlamps from a Nissan 350Z. Popping in HID lamps to a regular headlight is not legal...that's why most local auto part stores don't carry the conversion kits. I've spent a long time researching this -- just trust me.

https://sites.google.com/site/larrysgl1800hidproject/gl1800-bi-xenon-projector-hid-retrofit

*edit*

I'm not trying to come across as arrogant or grumpy -- but HID's are built around projection assemblies for a reason...not just for looks or a higher cost.

·
Registered
325 Posts
:popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
You are NOT supposed to replace halogen lamps with high intensity discharge lamps WITHOUT the projection lens assembly. All you do is blind other drivers when you do that. Those kids on the other side of the highway that have ridiculously bright headlights on their ricer.....that's what you'll look like to on coming traffic.

In order to to this properly, you have many hours of work are ahead of you. It is absolutely necessary to have the proper lamps, projection assembly and lens to focus the beam.

Below is a URL explaining the proper (and only) way to do it using headlamps from a Nissan 350Z. Popping in HID lamps to a regular headlight is not legal...that's why most local auto part stores don't carry the conversion kits. I've spent a long time researching this -- just trust me.

https://sites.google.com/site/larrysgl1800hidproject/gl1800-bi-xenon-projector-hid-retrofit

*edit*

I'm not trying to come across as arrogant or grumpy -- but HID's are built around projection assemblies for a reason...not just for looks or a higher cost.
I have been blinded by HID lights on bikes but just thought it was poor aiming by the installer. Reflectors that direct the top of the beam in a flat pattern sounds logical. I wonder if popping high intensity bulbs in a standard bike reflectors are DOT approved. Since a third party vendor is only supplying a part of an assembly (bulb & ballast) it could be a sneaky way to get around the "For off road use only rule".
Your write-up sounds logical :shrug:. Maybe some LEO people could chime in.
I have PIAA 1100X lights and don't think the tops of the beams are focused that well. They tend to flood so I aim them a little more downward than most. I think a better reflector design would flatten out the tops of the beams and fix my problem also ;).

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been blinded by HID lights on bikes but just thought it was poor aiming by the installer. Reflectors that direct the top of the beam in a flat pattern sounds logical. I wonder if popping high intensity bulbs in a standard bike reflectors are DOT approved. Since a third party vendor is only supplying a part of an assembly (bulb & ballast) it could be a sneaky way to get around the "For off road use only rule".
Your write-up sounds logical :shrug:. Maybe some LEO people could chime in.
I have PIAA 1100X lights and don't think the tops of the beams are focused that well. They tend to flood so I aim them a little more downward than most. I think a better reflector design would flatten out the tops of the beams and fix my problem also ;).

Drop in lamps other than the specified types are not DOT approved...nor is the retrofit, even though technically it complies with the design and use of HID lamps. I was surprised that the bike didn't come with them. I think only a couple of officers would actually write you up for it -- most don't even know the law exists or would even care. My concern is not about breaking the law, it's more about rider safety. Alignment is critical though as you mentioned. Riding through a foggy patch would nearly blind you and ruin your peripheral vision momentarily.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry, but you are not correct. HIDs are not only designed for projectors. I own a 2005 STi which has HID headlights installed by the factory which have a housing that is NO different from the halogen powered WRX of the same year. All Suby did was replace the bulbs, and they are still DOT legal. I agree aiming is critical, which is why when I did my Goldwing HID conversion, I marked on the wall where the halogen pattern had the greatest intensity and then when the change-out was complete, realigned my beams to match the old pattern. I have never, not even once, been flashed by oncoming traffic, nor have I ever been blinded, temporarily or otherwise, when riding through fog. That's one reason the beam height adjustment switch is provided on our wings. As far as whether or not our headlights are DOT legal with HID bulbs installed... I think you would have to be doing something so totally egregious for the arresting officer to even consider inspecting your bike or even know enough about the wing to know that it doesn't come with HIDs from the factory, that it would be so far down on your G.A.S. list that it's really a moot point to begin with. Either way, safety first, so I can't recommend these lights enough. The even light distribution and higher wavelength output make driving at night much more tolerable if not just for the increased amount of light they cast to the sides. The kit from goldwinghids.com is first quality and I fully endorse it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry, but you are not correct...
Actually, I am correct. Sorry for presenting facts.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pr...SA+Illegal+Lighting+Crackdown+Continues.print

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

It's not just one or two particular companies...it's all manufacturers and suppliers. Do it right or don't do it at all. I don't just pull this out of my ass...I've read NUMEROUS documents on the legality of it. I'd love to do it too, but I'd go the expensive route and do it the right way......not just drop some bulbs in.

·
Registered
774 Posts
HID Headlights

Hey Cruiseman, I watched the video and being that I have old man night blindness, I am hooked. Questions for my 2010 GL1800:

What brand did you use and where to buy?

I keep hearing about the spacers, do those come with the kit?

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hey Cruiseman, I watched the video and being that I have old man night blindness, I am hooked. Questions for my 2010 GL1800:

What brand did you use and where to buy?

I keep hearing about the spacers, do those come with the kit?

Thanks, Jim
Complete kit from GOLDWINGHIDS.COM

·
Registered
244 Posts
HID Conversion

Why not put the HID bulbs in replace of the hi-beams? That way you can turn them off same as you would when you normally want to turn off the hi-beams and not blind oncoming traffice?

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why not put the HID bulbs in replace of the hi-beams? That way you can turn them off same as you would when you normally want to turn off the hi-beams and not blind oncoming traffice?
You certainly could do that. In my case, however, I use headlight modulators on the high beams, so the HIDs are not recommended for that application. HIDs have a "warm up" period and work better when switched on and left on. The may not respond quickly enough for a modulator.

That said, I have not found that my HIDs are distracting to oncoming drivers. They are a different color, and have a better light pattern which improves visibility, but not necessarily "brighter" to oncoming traffic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts