GL1800Riders Forums banner

HID Headlights

4K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  Bluewoo 
#1 ·
Just installed a set of 6000K on my low beams. The increase in light is amazing. Also, no flashes from oncoming cars so I don't think they are dazzling to others. One problem: coincident with installation my AM radio reception has significantly deteriorated. Does anyone know if this is typical of HID? I mounted the ballasts under the left and right side fairing pockets, which is just abpout the only place I could easily. Would a ground loop isolator fix the problem?

Thanks for info

#6 ·
HID Source

I bought them from a company in CA that I found on ebay. I picked them because they had the best price and an amazing 100% positive feedback on 8000 transactions. I can confirm their excellent service. I ordered on Friday afternoon. They were at my door Tuesday morning. Also, I had a question about install and sent an email. Within 15 minutes I had a reply email, and a telephone number that was answered by a live human on the second ring. I wish there was more stuff I could buy from this company.

Here is their URL

http://stores.ebay.com/YOUR-ONLINE-CAR-PARTS-RESOURCES

#9 ·
Sebringdcp said:
The radio has am............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I dont think I ever used the am.....even to just test it out. FM and CD keep me happy
The radio has FM AND CD :!: :?: :?: :?: :shock:

I only use the AUX for XM and my iPod :!: :!: :wink:

:lol:

Would a metal shield around the HID ballast help :?:

#11 ·
Why upgrade to HID?

Agreed, the GL headlights are about the best stock lights available. The HID lights are a lot better. I ride the Wolf Pen Gap road (GA180) several times a week at night. I need all the light I can get. It wouldn't make as big a difference in the city. Talk radio.

#17 ·
I

I haven't taken any pics yet, but I will and try to post them. Lights are so bright white as to make the H7 high beams next to them look a pale yellow. I have been able to adjust my headlight aim to use the beams to their best effect. I need to shield the ballasts, but I am having a hard time finding the material to do it. I have to see if I can find an auto stereo shop that has some RF shielding material I can wrap around the ballast boxes. They are only a little bigger than a cigarette box (remember them?) so I don't need much. Haven't found it online yet, and living in a small town we don't have a dedicated car stereo shop.

#18 ·
wingit84 said:
If they destroy the AM radio part, how much affect to they have on using the CB?

Dennis
Lewis --- same question. CB is A.M.. I've been thinking HID but not if they screw the 2-way...

#19 ·
All depends on where the RF Hash is being created. If the RF is below the CB band, then it shouldn't affect the CB. I would like to know where the RF hash is created.

I "assuming" it does not affect the FM radio? When you say "affected AM" - you mean it just put so much static it's hard to pick up a station?

I've also been looking at them, but not sure which set to get. I sometimes run 2 meter ham (FM) and don't wish to mess that up, and just might wish HF again.

Ken

#20 ·
The RF hash is probably being radiated from the ballast wiring. Looking at the price, I suspect they have cut corners anywhere they could. The high voltage lines as well as the supply leads should have RF chokes and bypass caps to filter out spurious emissions from the HV oscillators. It might be a simple matter of adding a 1000pf cap to ground and a ferrite choke on each lead.

#21 ·
Re: I

Analysttom said:
I haven't taken any pics yet, but I will and try to post them. Lights are so bright white as to make the H7 high beams next to them look a pale yellow. I have been able to adjust my headlight aim to use the beams to their best effect. I need to shield the ballasts, but I am having a hard time finding the material to do it. I have to see if I can find an auto stereo shop that has some RF shielding material I can wrap around the ballast boxes. They are only a little bigger than a cigarette box (remember them?) so I don't need much. Haven't found it online yet, and living in a small town we don't have a dedicated car stereo shop.
Well, I wish I could switch places with you. Let me have lousy AM reception and be very happy to live and ride mountainous roads.
Here in New Jersey we have tons of auto stereo shops, and plenty of flat land and straight roads, not to mention the 7 million crazy cage drivers.
Want to switch? :lol:

#22 ·
hid

:lol: Not interested in switching locales paesano. Howevr, you are welcome here anytime you want to make the trip. We had a group of 19 retired FDNY guys at the campground last spring. They had a great time. Best part was (add NY accent) "What, no beer on Sunday?" , (add Appalachian accent) "Nope, no beer anytime, dry county."

#23 ·
Here's the one I had on my Hayabusa $239 from http://www.xtralights.com.
I think I may get the other one from them due to this radio problem your having, I used a chatter box for me and my wife so I could use the intercom or talk to here in the car for those long rides and I never had a problem.

www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=2806654[/img]

#25 ·
RF

Check to make sure that the WB (Weather Band) is not affected ( I use it every time I ride)

#26 ·
Hid pictures

Bluewoo said:
I found out as per http://www.xtralights.com that the HID kits from http://www.cqlights.com are made in china! I'm going to go with xtralights and get a matching kit + a 2 year warranty. Better quality built in Japan.

Patrick
Here are some pics of my HID Test -I only have One kit from
http://www.xtralights.com
I'm still torn between getting another 8000k or just ordering a 6000k (whiter)

Ballast just fits in here

Here you can see this is a 8000k kit (very blue) Left is the factory 55w halogen bulb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.