GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody in my neck of the woods have the HID bulbs that some members are installing that dont require a lot of alteration of the Goldwing? I would really like to have my low beams brighter for the trip out west (July 1) but would like some personal consulation with anyone close by that has them and has installed them before I jump out and do this. I am also not that mechanically inclined and would need some help with the installation.
Thanks,

·
Read Only
851 Posts
When one of mine shot last spring, I decided to try a pair of these from ebay. They were an improvement in that I got a wider projection, plus I could see road signs a lot earlier than with the stock bulbs. On low beam they look somewhere between high and low. They are direct replacement of the stock bulb. I can't say if they were the best, or better than any of the others that require modifications to install, but for the money they are worth the price if only for replacement purposes only. These show up bright white, not that annoying blue color. Here's the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2311874831

Stan

·
Registered
674 Posts
I did not put HID in my bike.

I just replaced the lamps with Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special Service Bulbs....

It does not change the beam shape or give the unwanted wide scatter that HID kits can.

It does not have any RF output, like HID lamps do and ballasts can if improperly shielded and filtered, and that can interfere with other electronics on your bike.

Yes they are illegal, just like the HID replacement lamps, but like you I wanted more real world light and wanted it to be the easiest install.

you can read about them at Candlepower.com:

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Oh, they put out 50% more light than a standard H7 bulb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the beam pattern does NOT change!!!!!!!!!!!! Win-win!!!!!! and easy to install (in the low beams)

I bought some for the high beam position too but I cant seem to get my fat hands in there to change them out....

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The low beams are easy, when you look down the tunnel you will see the low beam boot. the HID will replace like the original. Wear rubber gloves to avoid getting oil from you hands on the bulb because the oil from your skin will cause it to burn out quick. If you have small arms use them! You will see the connector, remove it then there is a rubber boot that pulls off. There is a wire holding the bulb, pay attention how it comes off so you know how to clip it back. Have any problems call me.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The low beams are easy, when you look down the tunnel you will see the low beam boot. the HID will replace like the original. Wear rubber gloves to avoid getting oil from you hands on the bulb because the oil from your skin will cause it to burn out quick. If you have small arms use them! You will see the connector, remove it then there is a rubber boot that pulls off. There is a wire holding the bulb, pay attention how it comes off so you know how to clip it back. Have any problems call me.
Towmotor, I have installed H7 a couple of times myself but I though HIDs had to have ballasts and special spacers from reading on this forum. Do you have HIDS?

KiteSquid, How long to these osram bulbs last and how much are they. I have tried silver stars and other brighter bulbs but they tend to die much quicker than the other standard bulbs.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
There are several out there that change the shape of the beam like Stan has do not require anything but give you better peripheral vision. I use the OEM. I try to be off the road at dusk and if not I just turn the bright's on and use the adjuster to turn them down so as not to bother others.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have to say that HIDs are a great addition, but if I were you I would not be making such a major change prior to a trip without proper time to test it out. You could always just add additional HID lights under the nose or mirrors and then have the additional light you want with OEM as a back-up. Just an idea.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!:thumbup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
KiteSquid, How long to these osram bulbs last and how much are they. I have tried silver stars and other brighter bulbs but they tend to die much quicker than the other standard bulbs.

Friends dont let friedns buy Silverstars!!!!!!

On the bulbs in my post have a URL to a store that sells them...

Currently they are $19.00 each or you can buy 2 for $36.00

They have the same life rating as a standard H7 bulb......

I understand that they might be availbe at a John Deere parts counter, but I cant find the part number.....yet.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I did not put HID in my bike.

I just replaced the lamps with Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special Service Bulbs....
Some questions. How long have you had them? Are they a white light or the same color as the high beams? Do these run hot? Do they seem to last as long as the OEM?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
When one of mine shot last spring, I decided to try a pair of these from ebay. They were an improvement in that I got a wider projection, plus I could see road signs a lot earlier than with the stock bulbs. On low beam they look somewhere between high and low. They are direct replacement of the stock bulb. I can't say if they were the best, or better than any of the others that require modifications to install, but for the money they are worth the price if only for replacement purposes only. These show up bright white, not that annoying blue color. Here's the link;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2311874831

Stan
Stan, how long have you had these in?

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
plan b...

For a recent long cross country trip (11k miles),
I replaced my low beams with Sylvania Ultras
... top of the Sylvania line
... most expensive ones
... at the auto parts store
... in the gold colored package
..about $40 for pair after rebate..

They are insanely bright with a very sharp
cut off for a stock H7 bulb.
...very very good for night riding...

It is VERY easy to change out the low beams
(less than 10 minutes for both sides and anyway,
you should practice R&Ring the bulbs before a long trip)

I DO realize they probably won't last very long BUT
I'm back home from the trip so I take them out
and put in the cheapie H7 bulbs for local riding
... then, I'll just put them back in for my nex LD trip.

yeah... I'm cheap... but wow are they bright...

Dennis

·
Read Only
851 Posts
Stan, how long have you had these in?
I installed them in March of this year. They are manufactured by Sylvania. I was not really looking for anything significantly brighter, just something to help me spot deer a little sooner. Before, too many times I would not notice a deer standing on the side of the road until it would have been too late to react in the event that it moved into the road ahead of me. With the wider beam these appear to project, the road sides are much more pronounced at a further distance. And so far no oncoming traffic has asked me to dim the lights. M theory is, that if your lights are too bright, then oncoming traffic may be blinded enough to veer into your lane as you meet. I know this is possible because it has happened to me when facing others with those annoying bright blue lights.
Stan

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I installed them in March of this year. They are manufactured by Sylvania. I was not really looking for anything significantly brighter, just something to help me spot deer a little sooner. Before, too many times I would not notice a deer standing on the side of the road until it would have been too late to react in the event that it moved into the road ahead of me. With the wider beam these appear to project, the road sides are much more pronounced at a further distance. And so far no oncoming traffic has asked me to dim the lights. M theory is, that if your lights are too bright, then oncoming traffic may be blinded enough to veer into your lane as you meet. I know this is possible because it has happened to me when facing others with those annoying bright blue lights.
Stan
Thanks Stan! I appreciate the information!:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts