GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a set of DDM Tuning HID's for the Wing. In order to get the balasts secured somewhere, do I need to take off the top shelter or front fairing below the windshield? Thanks.

Ed

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I have the Goldwinghids that I got at Wing Ding. Their ballasts fit on a shelf like area forward of the side pockets accessed by going up in the fork tunnel on either side. Easy install,good luck.

·
Vendor
17,785 Posts
I have the Goldwinghids that I got at Wing Ding. Their ballasts fit on a shelf like area forward of the side pockets accessed by going up in the fork tunnel on either side. Easy install,good luck.
If those are the ones that have a black box for each about the size of playing cards, that shelf is probably on top of the air intake ducts on each side. If you removed the shelter and looked at what they laid those contol boxes on, you would probably choose somewhere else to mount them. Mounting there sometimes brakes the air duct mounting screw bosses. I now stock the plasic stay the PGM-Fi unit mounts to for my customers when that happens.

The problem is that there really is no room under the pockets for them. So by default that is where some put them. Probably not a good idea in the long run. A better choice is to actually put them inside the pockets.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Mine and a buddy's are mounted inside the top shelter, forward of the pockets. Used double-back sticky tape to mount them, ran the cables out through the gap between the top shelter and the black plastic "shield" that goes from the left side to the right around the ignition switch. The ddmtuning ballasts aren't very big, digital so don't get that hot, and plenty of air flow in that area.

While you don't 'need' to remover the top shelter to install, I found it sure makes it easier, especially if you've got size gorilla hands.

And while the top shelter is off, makes it nice and easy to install a modulator on the high beams. :thumbup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's where I mounted my HID ballasts - against the side of the speaker housing. You can see one already in place on the right, and the other getting ready to be stuck to the red tape on the left.

·
Registered
36 Posts
HID Lighting

I have a question about the HID kit you guy's are talking about. 1. what is the kit part # 2. will the HID lights come close to matching Honda's LED fog lights in color 3. are they High and Low beam or just Low beam. Thanks for your response

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've heard of folks mounting the ballasts inside the inner fairings. The inner fairings are the panels on the lower left and right portion of the tunnel. They attach to the inside of the front fairing. They are held on by a small screw and a few push pins.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big Wing - thanks for posting the photos.

lurchy - the part # depends on which manufacturer you buy from.

The color of the light is determined by the temperature rating of the bulb (in degrees kelvin). When you order a kit, you pick what color you want the light output to be. Some colors, although they may be visually appealing, can have less light output than others.

You can use HIDs for either high beam, low beam, or both. If you want both high and low, you need to order two kits.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
my High beam ballasts are mounted via industrial strength double sided foam tape to the fork tunnels...

My low beams are mounted using the same tape to the side of the speaker boxes like Big Wing.

The 2 ballasts are different wattages, 35 and 55 respectively.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts