GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish I didn't need to make this post, but,I need help!

I saw a post on either this forum or another. It's how to install a HID system in a GL1800 including how to modify the bulb extender. Does anyone know where this post is?

Thanks,
Earl R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope to be fitting HID to the Wing at some stage, so am really interested in hearing from anyone that has done it.
Please let us know where you put the ballasts and so on.
Some photos would be super, but I know its hard to take photos while you are doing an install often, so a solid description would be great.
I suspect that its do-able with out having to extend the globe wires (its pretty special wire to take the high ignition voltage), but would love a bit of a description from those that have 'been there done that' before us!

Ben.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Seems that once again, the original question goes unanswered......

dc8cappie, it would seem that, at this stage, no one has posted how to install HID lights into a Goldwing..... You and I will just have to wait a little longer. I'm sure someone will take the time to post on the process in due course.

(I am still saving for my HID kit, when I get the money I will make sure that I document the process).

Take care.

Ben.

·
Registered
199 Posts
HID Install

I don't have any pictures of my install to share, but I can give you a brief description of how I installed my system.

I mounted the ballasts with wire ties up under the shelter by going though the openings with the side pockets removed.

The HID bulbs have the High Voltage wires attached to them and they can not be removed. I wanted the bulbs to fit in exactly the same as the factory H7 bulbs, so the aim and quality of the lighting was not affected. To accomplish this, I took the bulb adapter that the factory bulb plugs into and removed the spade connectors on them and milled them out, so the HID bulb and wiring would slide right in. I use a small amount of silicone to glue the bulbs in. This way the HID fit like factory and the weather proof boots fit the same as before.

I ended up buying an extra set of factory bulb adapters and keep them on the bike, so if I'm on a trip and the HID's would fail, I can swap back to the factory set-up in minutes.

I have had this set-up for over 2 years and it works great with no problems. Hope this helps out.

If you want more detail info, send me a PM.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
Seems that once again, the original question goes unanswered......

dc8cappie, it would seem that, at this stage, no one has posted how to install HID lights into a Goldwing..... You and I will just have to wait a little longer. I'm sure someone will take the time to post on the process in due course.

(I am still saving for my HID kit, when I get the money I will make sure that I document the process).

Take care.

Ben.
Ben,
When I read the original post I thought he was looking for an on-line source for the directions. Since I didn't have an on-line source I suggested a printed source. Sorry I haven't done it my self and I suspect few have. Perhaps you should get busy with your installation and post a set of directions.:doorag:

ps you can still look in the January Wing World if you don't mind using non electronic media. In fact if you are a member of GWRRA you can look it up on line at: http://www.wingworldmag.com/

·
Registered
91 Posts
I installed a set a couple of months ago. I used high strength double sided tape on the ballasts and stuck them to the sides of the air tunnel, one on each side if the fork tubes. I mounted the ignighters to the metal cross bar behind the dash. The power for the lights came from 2 male spade connectors that plug into the headlight socket(supplied with kit). This was/is the thing I am still working on. The spade connectors are not tight in the socket and I crossed the wires on the top of the plug and zip tied them to it. I also pulled the wires (4 of them, 2 from socket and 2 from light) and zip tied them together on the side of the socket to try to keep vibration from ending the connection. I added some heat shrink tubing over the whole mess and zip tied it to one of the wires from the ballast. The socket adapter needed to be modified to allow it to seat into the headlight housing. The set I have, the alignment prongs were too wide, so they were reduced to fit. The space is very limited to work in and trying to make electrical connections one handed is tough. I used 6000K lights from ddmtuning and only have about 50 hours on them. I have seen kits that have 6' cords to allow for the ballast to be mounted under the seat and other kits that don't use ignighters. I am going to do the highbeams next but looking for a better place to mount all of the ballasts. I put these in to see the amount of light and the pattern. I am not set that this is the best place to mount,it is only an winter project and something to tinker with. Good luck with your install. Doug

·
Registered
927 Posts
This is the HID light kit that I bought http://www.xtralights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1342 . It is a high dollar kit but I was so impressed with the results that I went and bought a second kit so I have HID's in both the high & low beam positions. I went with the digital kit in order to get the smallest and most reliable (I think) ballast/ignitor box. The ballast/ignitor is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. You can see in the pictures they are mounted under the front storage compartments, on top of the engine air intake ducts and the almost horizontal ledge of the radiator air inlet in the front cowl using velcro. I was concerned that the operating temperature of the ballast/ignitors might be too high for the tupperware but in operation they are just warm to the touch. The kit comes with everything you need but you will need to reuse the headlight adapter that the Goldwing has between the light bulb and the bike's wiring harness. I had a few times when the the right light would not come on unless I flicked the starter lever a couple of times to relight the bulb. I felt that the spade connectors that the kit uses to push into the bike's wiring harness where not providing a good enough contact so I soldered the power feeds to the ballast/ignitor box upstream of the bike's headlight connector so I would easily be able to restore the system using the OEM bulbs if needed. Since I have done the solder job I have had no problems with the bulbs lighting up. I am VERY impressed with the results and by being deligent with the headlight control knob I have no problems with blinding the oncoming drivers causing them to flash their lights at me.
Ride Safe
Ken

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/cakeman48/Misc/HID01.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l11/cakeman48/Misc/HID02.jpg

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I am looking to do a set of HID's soon.

What color temperature did you go with?

And as a few others have mentioned, some units interfere with the AM radio, which I do use. Where did you get them and is AM interference an issue?

·
Registered
927 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts