GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the 4300k HID kit and it puts out a very intense light. However, the problem is the OEM reflector in front of the bulb does not concentrate the light (deflect) onto one section of the rear deflector like my Lexus does. The bottom line...the light is not focused on one spot on the road and is all over the place. Question...What reflector should I use for my wing to control the light pattern?

·
Registered
221 Posts
After a lot of research on this subject and owning several different kits and installing quite a few kits you have discovered one of the differences in HID kits. The China kits the burner(bulb) is not focused as well as the better Japan or German kits. The China kits are the ones about $200 the other two are about twice as much. Back to the old saying you get what you pay for.

For my new Suzuki M109R I have installed one of the more expensive Japan kits it was $350 for one bulb and wow is it wonderful. It is a H4 high, low beam digital which is even brighter than regular HID. The beam is perfect and the one bulb really lights up the road.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Sombody else with more knowledge than me can probably give you a better answer. BUT from reading about the H7 HID conversions it seems that IF you use a standard HID bulb it will put the light too far into the socket for proper focus with a non HID reflector. The better kits have a mod to the bulb base to not let it go in so far. You can buy spacers to do this as well.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Have you installed the shim to place the luminary capsule into the proper position?
Grab a ¾ inch rubber hose washer. Place that over the Honda Adapter then insert the capsule. This should realign the capsule into the correct focal length.

·
Registered
812 Posts
HID

Damn, I wish I had thought of the rubber washer. I fettled some out of HD push-rod corks. :oops:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've pushed and pulled this bulb in and out of the socket at all different settings and still can not get the bulb to focus (shims don't seem to help). It appears this OEM reflector is designed for a halogen bulb and I am trying to install a HID bulb which is 3x stronger in Lumens. Bottom line...is it the bulb (cheap China product) or is it the reflector? A Lexus LS reflector retrofit would probably work but I can't find such a reflector in the aftermarket. Please help!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
hid

Is there such a thing as a different type of reflector for the GL? Once I got the bulb the right distance from the reflector it was fine. I raised my beams a little bit because I could get the same amount of light at a greater distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts