GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some direction as to which way to go: HID or modulator. There are benefits to each I assume but which one gets more attention of others drivers etc? Is it the bright head light or the “wig wag” of the head light?
Any thoughts would be appreciated to assist in which way to go.
Also, can HIDs be installed in Honda's accessory lower driving/fog lights? If so, where is the hardware put? :?:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
HID's are bright. I prefer the modulator as I think that may get more attention. Just remember, there are idiots out there no matter what you do.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
HIDS for me please, and yes my lower cowl lights are hids as well. You will need the ones with the small ballest and they will fit behind the lower cowl. I retroed the big bike lower lamps to accept the HID bulbs. going on 2yrs on the lower and no complaints. No headlamps really needed to ride at night.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I need some direction as to which way to go: HID or modulator. There are benefits to each I assume but which one gets more attention of others drivers etc? Is it the bright head light or the “wig wag” of the head light?
Any thoughts would be appreciated to assist in which way to go.
Also, can HIDs be installed in Honda's accessory lower driving/fog lights? If so, where is the hardware put? :?:
My 0.02? They are for different purposes.

Modulator for the daytime running to help get attention by cages.

HIDs for visibility of the road surface (and forest rats/other wandering fauna), particularly at night. Not to say that HIDs wouldn't get some additional attention by the cage drivers, but, I would think the modulating lights do a better job at that.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I wouldn't do either. Having exceedingly bright light blasting other drivers is aggravating as well as those flashing lights. All they do is antagonize drivers. The iddiots that don't see you won't see you any better with either.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have a modulator and can't even count the number of cars that have pulled to the side of the road during daylight thinking I was some type LEO or slow down to the posted speed limit when I am coming up behind them. Really is a PITA. Even had one guy pull up beside me at a red light and tell me something was wrong with the charging system of the bike because my headlights was flashing dim then bright.

·
Registered
20 Posts
HIDS for me please, and yes my lower cowl lights are hids as well. You will need the ones with the small ballest and they will fit behind the lower cowl. I retroed the big bike lower lamps to accept the HID bulbs. going on 2yrs on the lower and no complaints. No headlamps really needed to ride at night.
Big Al, did you remove the chrome defusers that are in front of each low beam headlamps? I had 50watt HIDs in my last GW and they were not that much brighter. I thought it my be because of the chrome covers in front or the bulbs. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Big Al, did you remove the chrome defusers that are in front of each low beam headlamps? I had 50watt HIDs in my last GW and they were not that much brighter. I thought it my be because of the chrome covers in front or the bulbs. Thanks.
No I didnt, go 6k 50watt. Pic in sig is just that but in projector housing. Go to my profile and check pics under HIDS

·
Registered
654 Posts
Its already been mentioned that they are for two different purposes. You can do both if you really wanted to. Install HIDs in the low beam light place (there are companies that sell a kit just for that) and install the modulator as well. As I understand it, modulators modulate the high beam light which is why some companies will tell you to only convert your low beams as the modulator won't be able to modulate the HIDs if you install them in the high beam location. Sure, the color of the light will be different, but it provides both things for you. My personal opinion, if I'm gonna install HIDs, I'm gonna do a full retrofit like was posted on this forum about a year and a half to two years ago. A member installed a projector into the goldwing low beam location and it looked friggin sweet as far as I'm concerned. Sure, the install was more of a mod than an install as it involved drilling, cutting, and many other things to get it done. However, I think its a better setup than just throwing a HID bulb and ballast into the bike as it prevents you from sending an onslaught of light at oncoming drivers with the stock reflectors that come on the bike with the H7 bulbs. I'm also not really a an of modulators as I've ridden in front of other bikes with them when they don't turn them off and it gets rather annoying (for me at least) to have a light flashing in my mirrors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No I didnt, go 6k 50watt. Pic in sig is just that but in projector housing. Go to my profile and check pics under HIDS
Thanks Big Al. I had 5k HIDs in my ZX14 that had projectors, they were the best lights ever, unbelievable in fact. Wish I had that in my Goldwing.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Thanks Big Al. I had 5k HIDs in my ZX14 that had projectors, they were the best lights ever, unbelievable in fact. Wish I had that in my Goldwing.
I love em as well....THEY ROCK!!!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My 0.02? They are for different purposes.

Modulator for the daytime running to help get attention by cages.

HIDs for visibility of the road surface (and forest rats/other wandering fauna), particularly at night. Not to say that HIDs wouldn't get some additional attention by the cage drivers, but, I would think the modulating lights do a better job at that.

YMMV
:agree:

Hey! You just stole my $.02!:joke:

What he said!

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
I use both

I and my riding partner use both the HIDs and the modulator.

HIDs on low beam, doesn't blind other drivers, really makes a nice difference in night time riding. We use the 4500K, 35 watt. You really don't need to go to the 50 watt on low beam, the 35 watt is more than bright enough and the 50 watt will gain you undesired attention.

Modulators on high beam. Yes, sometimes drivers think you might be a LEO, but that just means they noticed you. I have had too many close calls before putting on the modulators. I tend to ride with them off if traffic is light and minimal chance of someone turning in front of me. But when I come to an intersection, or see someone that looks like they are going to do a left turn in front of me, I kick them on and have seen many a car suddenly decide to wait rather than pull the turn. In congested traffic, they're on.

The stock H7's high beams look yellowish compared to the HIDs, but it does make for a nice contrast when using the modulators.

I'm solidly sold on both, glad I installed them. There's a nice thread regarding how to install them.

·
Registered
939 Posts

HIDs on low beam, doesn't blind other drivers, really makes a nice difference in night time riding. We use the 4500K, 35 watt. You really don't need to go to the 50 watt on low beam, the 35 watt is more than bright enough and the 50 watt will gain you undesired attention.

Modulators on high beam. Yes, sometimes drivers think you might be a LEO, but that just means they noticed you. I have had too many close calls before putting on the modulators. I tend to ride with them off if traffic is light and minimal chance of someone turning in front of me. But when I come to an intersection, or see someone that looks like they are going to do a left turn in front of me, I kick them on and have seen many a car suddenly decide to wait rather than pull the turn. In congested traffic, they're on.

The stock H7's high beams look yellowish compared to the HIDs, but it does make for a nice contrast when using the modulators.

I'm solidly sold on both, glad I installed them. There's a nice thread regarding how to install them.
:agree:

·
Registered
489 Posts
As others have said - they do different things for different purposes. I have both. Use the modulator when I'm out in the country and the cages might not expect to see a motorcycle. I think they're both great.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Do you know where the thread is located and what it is called? I did a search and came up empty. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts