GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thank You Now I know why I can't get LED's to work worth a darn in my projector lenses. I guess I'll stick with my HID's until they improve them.

Reactions: OldFatGuy

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Thank You Now I know why I can't get LED's to work worth a darn in my projector lenses. I guess I'll stick with my HID's until they improve them.
Do your homework and you'll see that they can be used with projector housings. In that video, he says at the 23:35 mark using the DIODE DYNAMICS LED that they measured a LUX of 780 from a projector housing, compared to 760 LUX from a halogen. In a reflector housing like I have on my '03 GL, the LUX readings could be different. I installed Electrical Connection's LED's in my '03 GL and I'm very happy with the results.
Now, I also have a 2015 GMC Canyon pickup with projector housings, and I installed the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED's The results are VERY GOOD. I can not tell the difference in light pattern or cutoff. They're slightly brighter, and the light color is better than the halogen. LED's in projectors can be used, and they're getting better all the time. You get what you pay for, and the Diode Dynamics weren't especially expensive, but they definitely weren't cheap either. I am not associated with Diode Dynamics and I don't get paid to say this, so I am purely sharing my experiences without compensation. That being said, I give them TWO THUMBS UP.
Steve F

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Same here, EC LED's in an '03 Wing and very happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Do your homework and you'll see that they can be used with projector housings. In that video, he says at the 23:35 mark using the DIODE DYNAMICS LED that they measured a LUX of 780 from a projector housing, compared to 760 LUX from a halogen. In a reflector housing like I have on my '03 GL, the LUX readings could be different. I installed Electrical Connection's LED's in my '03 GL and I'm very happy with the results.
Now, I also have a 2015 GMC Canyon pickup with projector housings, and I installed the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED's The results are VERY GOOD. I can not tell the difference in light pattern or cutoff. They're slightly brighter, and the light color is better than the halogen. LED's in projectors can be used, and they're getting better all the time. You get what you pay for, and the Diode Dynamics weren't especially expensive, but they definitely weren't cheap either. I am not associated with Diode Dynamics and I don't get paid to say this, so I am purely sharing my experiences without compensation. That being said, I give them TWO THUMBS UP.
Steve F

He was comparing the LED's to the halogen. The HID's were brighter that both the LED's and Halogen's.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
He was comparing the LED's to the halogen. The HID's were brighter that both the LED's and Halogen's.
In that video, he was comparing all three, halogen, HID and (2) LED's and yes, the HID's were brighter than the whole bunch. That wasn't my point since you said that LED's couldn't be used in your projector housings, I was simply pointing out that they actually CAN be used there (if you choose the correct type of LED) and that I had VERY good results in my projector headlights using the Diode Dynamics SL1 LED's.
Cheers.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
thank you now i know why i can't get led's to work worth a darn in my projector lenses. I guess i'll stick with my hid's until they improve them.
i have had both the newest led bulb and 55w hid in my truck . I run 35 watt in my wing for 4yrs or so and the led has gotten better but will not have the distance of a hid bulb. My experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts