GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
>CLICK HERE FOR MORE<

PARTS: resistors 100ohm (2) & 47ohm (4) - flat head LEDs from SuperBright (14) - wire

So, the problem is how to drill the holes.... I put the entire mirror in the oven at 300° for about six or seven minutes. That loosens up the adhesive and softens the plastic so you can peel the back off the glass. Why not just use a forstner bit to drill with the glass on? Three reasons: 1. go too far and you screw up our mirror; 2. Detritus from your drilling will get in the way of the LED; 3. the OEM adhesive is probably going to spoil one or more of your lights because it's not consistently located. If you get lucky, it won't interfere with one or more of your holes but... are you feeling lucky? Once the parts are separated, drill your holes a bit large (6mm instead of 5mm) then set the backs on the glass to see if you have a problem with the OEM adhesive. Picture shows the circuit which is easy. 3 LEDs in series for each leg with a 47ohm resistor and for the single point light use a 100ohm resistor. I know that's not the "book value" called for, but click the picture for full details plus a video and a printable pattern.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nicely done, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx :)

Posted with my Galaxy through TapaTalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
That is just so kool
So what is actually drilled is the backing on the mirror???
And the LED's show through the mirrored glass?????
I just got to give this a go:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts