GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always ridden my motorcycles with my high beams on during the daylight hours. Just curious to see how many of you ride like that. 8)

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Not with the Wing

I did this with my older bikes, but not with the 1800. These headlights are so bright that sometimes they can actually blind another driver. I've had toll-takers at toll booths tell me that they could not see me because of the bright lights blinding them, plus I have followed cars in the day that were bothered by the bright high beams in their mirrors. As a result, I ride with low beams in the high position and also have my driving lights (with amber covers) on. Bike is very visible.

You will get lots of different thoughts on this, but this is mine, no right or wrong I guess.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Re: Not with the Wing

wingnutzz said:
You will get lots of different thoughts on this, but this is mine, no right or wrong I guess.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'no right or wrong...', but using high beams with oncoming traffic, or when following traffic, is illegal. And dangerous. Check your State traffic laws.
If you want to be seen, don't make it hard for others to see.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I would think using the high beams too during the day light would do little extra good for visability.

The idiots that do not pay attention will not see the low beam or high beams.

The light modualtor during the day light probably is a good idea

·
Registered
837 Posts
I also use to use the highbeams on my older bikes, but on this 1800 I only run the low beams with the driving lights on.
I've seen several 1800's coming down the road toward me with the highbeams on, and they look like a sunburst or something. Much too bright for oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
high beams

Tony,
I think that riding with high beams is as bad as loud pipes.
Very annoying to other motorists also illegal.
That blinding light just might send that oncoming car into your lane.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Not only annoying to other motorists, it's illegal. It is said that lights that are too bright also cause depth perception problems among some people, they can also overpower your turn signals, potentially making it more dangerous to ride with high beams on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I ride with modulated high beams on, on 2-lane roads (set at the lowest position).
I ride with high beams on, on 4-lane, divided roads (set at the lowest position).
I ride with low beams on, at times too (position varies with situation).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In VA, it's legal to run with your high beams on during daylight hours.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have driving lights with amber covers on them. I drive with them on, at times during the day, if I feel insecure and ride with them on, with the covers off at night.

I do whatever I need to do to be seen. I've had too many close calls with drivers turning left, in front of me, etc..

Lane position, lighting and clothing DO make a difference.

JMHO. YMMV.

·
Registered
21,130 Posts
Used to sometimes run bike with brights during daylite but sometime after getting a 1800 decided that if they ain't seeing the low beams they won't see the high beams,so why waste em? If I have a feeling they havn't noticed me and might pull out or turn in my path I might flick the brites a time or two. As far as brites being illeagal during daylite, don't recall hearing that one b4. In my truck driving career have seen a lot of drivers that seem to think it is thier job to be annoyed by someone comming towards them running brites, even when there is a 100 yard median strip between the lanes of oncomming traffic.

G

·
In Maryland, it is NOT illegal to operate during daytime with high beams. I suspect it is not illegal many other places (if any) either. It is illegal to dazzle oncoming traffic with lights.

That said, I always now operate during daylight with my high beams on. I found that for some reason oncoming, turning, and cross traffic acted like I was invisible when I operated with my low beams on the GL1800. I didn't have the same problem on my previous ride, a Shadow, which had a single headlight. I think, maybe, the two headlights confuse oncoming traffic into thinking you are further away than you are. Since changing to always driving with my high beams on during daylight, I don't feel as invisilble. I think it is much safer. And, come on...in the daylight, the high beams don't blind or dazzle anyone. If you think they are too bright, set them in a lower position.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The Indiana Motorcycle Driver's Manual recommends riding with high beams on in the daytime. I don't do it with the 1800 because of the blinding nature of the big beast's bright beams, but I have done it with lesser (mere mortal) bikes.

G

·
High beams in day time

Texas department of public saftey web site under motorcycle says" ride with high beams on during daylight and CONSIDER MODULATORS"

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
I run with my low beams and the lower driving lights on all the time in the daylight. With the headlights on and the driving lights on it makes the front of the Wing appear larger and easier to see! It almost forms a triangle!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Read the first post... "during daylight hours". It is not illegal in any state that I know of to use high beams in the daylight hours. MSF specifically recommends it and most states, including NY print it in their motorcycle operator manual. It enhances the ability of others to see you. At night, lights must be dimmed as usual.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
I've never seen any motorcyclist driving in the daytime with his high beams on constantly, at least not here in the west. Maybe for any other bike that might be an option, but the 1800's low beam headlights certainly have to rank at the top of the list of great motorcycle lighting systems. I already drive full time with my E.C. Ion driving lights on and it's against the law in most states to have more than 4 headlights on anyway.

I'm going to stick with the low beams and the E.C. Ion lights for great visability. The Ion is a great contrast and is quite noticible both in daylight and at night. Using the high beams full time during the day is just going to irritate a lot of drivers ahead of you.

DaleC

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a Kisan modulator which only operates with the high beams. So I adjust the headlights to the lowest position to avoid blinding or excessive annoyance of oncoming drivers. That said, on a long day of riding there are always one or two drivers who'll flash me. I'm not sure if they are telling me they don't like the flashing or if they are trying to notify me that my light is flashing as though I didn't know it. One time a guy pulled up beside me to tell me that my light was flashing. He was very concerned that I had an electrical short or something. It was nice anyway that he took the time to try to help a motorcylist. Some riders have had trouble with cops and modulators. So far, I've ridden by many cops and none have made an issue of it. I do carry a copy of the federal regulation on the legality of the modulators just in case.
Rob

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The lower cowel fog lights are the best for being visable. A flashing modulator does have pros and cons. First it burns out the bulbs faster. Second it can send a false approval to cager making a turn in front of you. They make a quick look at you and the lights are flashing, they think you are signaling them to go. This has been a cause of accidents in metropolitian areas. People only do a quick look and run.

G

·
high beams in day time

I feel Texas Department Of Public Safety has the safety study and research on motorcycles to follow their advice plus I am 71 years of age and have been riding since early teens and haven't crashed one in even a fender bender and some of those early 1930s models hardly had lights and I don't remember any one using lights at all in daytime 50 years or more ago. Lights are no substitute for alertness and caution and good old common sense. I use my mods only when I feel they should be used. A trip across west Texas would find me using them going through inhabited areas or some car along side the highway, cross roads and someone coming from a ranch drive or as I say any time I feel some one may not see me and pull out. I guess it's called being alert and using your head, How ever I always assume the other fellow doesn't even see the mods and ride accordingly. Blue hairs in small towns are motor cycle killers. One in our small town, busy waving at friends slowly pulled in front of a train that could have been seen for a mile or more and had it's horn going loud. If they can miss that, a cycle doesn't stand a chance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jim Mathis said:
I also use to use the highbeams on my older bikes, but on this 1800 I only run the low beams with the driving lights on.
I've seen several 1800's coming down the road toward me with the highbeams on, and they look like a sunburst or something. Much too bright for oncoming traffic.
Same here. :shock:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Re: Not with the Wing

Bob (Bear said:
wingnutzz said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'no right or wrong...', but using high beams with oncoming traffic, or when following traffic, is illegal. And dangerous. Check your State traffic laws.
If you want to be seen, don't make it hard for others to see.
This applies whether its daytime or nightime.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts