GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding with cross winds of 20MPH or more Sweety my SO says the wind wants to lift her helmet right off her head. I have the baker hand wings which are great most of the time but not all the time.
It seems there is some kind of turbulance at the rear of the bike as she gets small debris on the back of her jacket. Would a trunk spoiler change the air flow? or is this something we have to live with in high cross winds?
If she tucks in close to me it's not to bad. :lol: The Goldwing is so much better in these conditions than the Kaw Voyager ever was, not nearly as much work to keep it from moving around on the road. If I would have known how great the wing is I would have had one years ago but then my learning curve is very flat.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
A trunk spoiler won't do anything for this. A higher windshield like a Windbender is probably the only thing, after the handwings, that will reduce the buffeting back there.

(tell her to tighten up that helmet strap and actually, if it moves that much it may be a size too large)

·
Registered
19,442 Posts
White Wing said:
A trunk spoiler won't do anything for this. A higher windshield like a Windbender is probably the only thing, after the handwings, that will reduce the buffeting back there.

(tell her to tighten up that helmet strap and actually, if it moves that much it may be a size too large)
This is a bike not a car. There is wind. I don't beleive in tall windshields but I am in the minority on that. So like was said above tall windshield, helmet that fits,wind should never move a helmet. Or take the bus...........

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
laen said:
This is a bike not a car.....>snip<......... Or take the bus...........
C'mon now laen, get off the fence and tell us how you really feel! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a Honda Tall + the cute little winglets. It doesn't matter where I have the shield. Even all the way up (rarely do I need it all the way up) the wind still comes around and pushes my back.

This is an issue with the Wing, and I don't believe you'll get a pocket for the passenger no matter how tall of a windshield you get.

Of course, you should try to keep the SO happy. Ask members in your local club that has aftermarket shields to take the SO for a ride so she can pick which shield works best for her.

Me, I'm a one-upper so I get what works best for ME :twisted:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cockleburr;

What type helmet does "Sweety' wear??

When we switched from our "Beemer" to our GL1800, my wife complained of the same thing! She was wearing a Shoei RJ Air, a very nice 3/4 helmet with an add-on shield made for it!

We borrowed a Shoei Syncrotec flip-front full face helmet from our daughter and the problem was gone! We bought that slightly used helmet from our daughter and my wife says no more wind problems back there!

Jonar G., aka, Whitefang

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
fairing wings,either Baker or Tulsa made a difference for my wife..I've tried both and settled on the Tulsa because my wife got less buffeting with those over the Baker's.
I've tried several windshields,stock without vent,stock w/vent,Tulsa standard, now Windbender,and my wife couldn't tell any difference on any of them.
Her height,4'11" is probably why the shield didn't matter to her

2,732 Posts
Full face helmet

We have the Shuberth flip front helmets that seem to do a great job of controlling the wind for me and wifey. I know they solved our problem as wifey had a 3/4 helmet and in one windstorm it nearly got pulled off her head and we have had no such problem with the Shuberth full face helmets in fact, i can't remember her complaining about the wind pulling on her helmet even once since we changed. I'd give that a try, it will probably solve your problem for good.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweety wears a 3/4 helmet and she has the strap real tight. She says the helmet lifts straight up, she jokes that she must be taller now.
The idea of a full face helmet sounds good, think we will give that a try. Thanks for the good ideas and for one of you the bus is not a option!! sweety is a good woman and loves to ride, she must be as I have tried to drown her in more than one downpour, almost froze her in the cold and cooked her half to death in the heat and she has never ever complained once. When you get a good woman like that you best take damn good care of her.
We ride and know there will be wind, I was just trying to make things better for her.

G

·
laen said:
This is a bike not a car. There is wind. Or take the bus...........
In a lot of ways, laen here makes a great point.

I ask myself sometimes how far do we push a touring bike to it's comfort limits/levels with
baker wings, tall windshields, custom seats, seat warmers, heated grips,
4 speaker stereo's, back rest, cup holders, GPS, adjustable suspension, lighted trunk, arm rest, etc. etc. etc.

Yup, It's a bike not a car, then again, maybe with all the above add-on's, it truelly is a old man's bike.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I was not clear enough, The helmet fits her head tight, the strap is tight, the helmet IS NOT flopping around on her head, the wind is not getting into the helmet and making it flop around on her head. The wind is pulling up on the helmets outside or sucking the helmet straight up. Anyways I got some good ideas from the people that really wanted to help.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cockleburr, I can fully sympathize with your wife. My husband and I both have Symax full face flip fronts- the wind doesn't bother my husband at all but it just about tears my head off sometimes. My neck muscles get very sore, the wind seems to come up under the front of the helmet and blow me around. I will not change helmets as I like mine very much. We have all of the "wings" but they don't seem to help. We do however have just the standard windshield.

I have put my husband on the back on some moderately windy days, and he notices the buffetting too.

In Iowa, it seems to be always windy.

You are not too far from us, we are in NW Iowa.

If you find something that works, let us know.

Vicki and Duane

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
laen said:
This is a bike not a car.
Do you honestly believe this comment is helpful?
laen said:
There is wind.
Wind is not what he is discussing. Turbulence, buffeting is what he is discussing. Work on your reading comprehension please. Lazygirl would much rather ride on the back of one of our naked bikes than on the back of the Wing because of buffeting, not the wind.
laen said:
I don't beleive in tall windshields...
Nevertheless, they exist. :wink:

They exist because they serve the needs of people who have different needs and preferences than you. Maybe they just have longer spines than you. This is apparently difficult for you to grasp. It's OK. Some are better at walking a mile in other's shoes. Some are not so good at it.
laen said:
I know I'm in the minority on this
Actually, I think you're in the majority. This is not some brave iconoclastic statement, just more of the same.
laen said:
Or take the bus...........
Some would say the same about motorcycle TRAILERS. Some would, but I wouldn't, because that would not be constructive.

This whole post was more about you feeling superior as a "real motorcyclist" than it was about helping the original poster. It was snide, condescending, but worst of all, not helpful.

Cockleburr and Vicia: I have my bike set up to eliminate most of these problems. If we can get together someplace I'd be happy to let you ride it to see how the modifications work for you. It's getting late in the year for our area. Maybe we can meet at the Dells for the Spring Ride.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I am new to Winging it, and fairly new to motorcycling, only since late Jul 05. Age wise I am older (67) but don't call me an old fart. :shock:

In the time since I joined the VTXOA board (Oct 05) and the GL board (about five weeks ago), I have noticed too many posts that are neither constructive nor kind in the way they were written and it has troubled me that I have not thought of a suitable way to address them.

I want to compliment Lazyboy for having the moxie and guts to address the problem as he did. LB, you were to the point, brief, and yet not condescending or unkind (IMHO) in your comments. It can be difficult to express a different opinion w/o appearing to be attacking someone. Frankly I like what and how Lazyboy made his points.

I think you have done a terrific job of attempting to raise the consciousness level of not only the negative commenter, but of others of us that really need to think carefully BEFORE responding to a thread.

Thanks LB, you "done good." It really needed to be said :!: :)

Todd

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
WOW, laen sure got it for some reason... His answer was clear and I understood it well.

All he said was that we are riding motorcycles, not driving cars .

Folks, we all are NOT alike, I look at a motorcycle different than you do. The wind to me is positive and to you it is negative. To each their own !!

JMHO 8) and thats all, Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Can't we all lighten up a bit??? It seems awful early for PMS to me setting in....

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
KA7W said:
Folks, we all are NOT alike, I look at a motorcycle different than you do. The wind to me is positive and to you it is negative. To each their own !!
Why does everybody keep talking about "wind" whenever a poster complains about buffeting. If you are going to change what the poster is saying, it's easy to make his complaint look stupid.

We like wind. That's one of the reason we ride bikes. That's the reason that only 3 of my dozens of bikes have had any effectual windshield or fairing at all.

The complaint is about buffeting. I spent a half day on the back of my brother's Wing to see what Lazygirl was talking about. It can be miserable. You get knocked around like a bobble head doll. Low frequency sound exceeding hearing damage levels are almost constant. Ear plugs don't abate low frequency sound well, and make the buffeting seem even worse by suppressing the higher frequencies, making the low frequencies seem relatively even louder.

The conditions we're talking about are freeway speeds, with a good 30 mph wind coming from about two O'Clock. With air speed approaching 100MPH, the stock windshield, especially when extended, flaps like a flag, accentuating the violence of the 100+MPH eddies that come off the edges of the shield in Von Karmann Vortex Shedding.

KAZW, I would expect you to be one of the people who would understand the difference between "wind"; a laminar flow, and turbulence, a series of blasts and whirlpools that leave you with your ears ringing and the feeling you've been outpointed in 15 rounds.

Vortices also come off the top of the windshield. If I set my butt on the back seat so that I can bend forward low enough to look only a few inches over the lowered standard windshield, the air flow is great. Those of you who look a few inches over a shield in low or mid position should try this experiment. Stand on you pegs at freeway speed in a crosswind so that you are looking at least 5 inches over the stock windshield raised all the way up. Now see if you can find a good position for the windshield. Now you are experiencing what some of us deal with all the time.

I think that some of you who share the ride with your ladies should go out of your way to put in a few hours on a windy day on the back of a Wing. Many of you would be scrambling to try improve their lot the very next day. Lazygirl has solved the problem. She mostly rides her own naked bike. She's happy to ride the back of the Wing unless it's the freeway. Airspeeds need to exceed 80 mph for the buffeting to become physically abusive.

Oh yeah, do any of you really believe that any posters here are under the misapprehension that they are driving cars, not riding motorcycles? Some of you sure seem to mention it a lot. :lol:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lazyboy, thank you for your kind offer, we will have to see if we can make a hookup next year.

You are right, the cold has set in--30's and 40's with winds in excess of 35 mph. Man, I hate winter:)

Vicki and Duane

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Lazyboy

There are many times when I feel the NEED for more wind or turbulence. Probably from sitting behind the short stubby windshield of a Stearman for so long. :lol: Lots of turbulence in the cockpit and yet the wind was laminar over the top of the helmet with lots of lift. You would bend up a coat hanger and tape it down to break up the flow.

I just slide to the rear seat and enjoy the buffeting. That is the way I do it and it is for MY self.

I know others do not enjoy it as well as I do. There are people who make various devices to change the air flow.

My mistake is that I lump wind and turbulence together, Sorry about that.

JMHO 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts