GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, it was warm enough to ride with no jacket all afternoon. In the morning, I went to the funeral of an old friend, Glynn Bud, one of the three men that started the Bandera Breakfast Run in the early seventies. He was fondly remembered by several of us old coots and some of the widows of others. His coffin lid had a bike proudly embroidered inside.

Joe Harrison and George Sistrunk were there, founders of the two big Honda Dealers in San Antonio.

As I was engaged in conversation with Joe, from whom I bought 4 Wings, it occurred to me that the two I currently have in the garage had 432,900 miles between the two of them, all with trailers.

The older Wing has never had the valve covers off at a quarter million miles and the newer one has had no engine internal maintenance nor valve adjustment at 176,000. These are durable machines.

The other two Wings that I had, a 91 and an 01 had 117,000 miles between them. Adds up to 551,000 miles on Wings all bought from Joe Harrison, all with smiles from ear to ear.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Tom,
sorry for the loss of your friend.
I intend to ride to Bandera in April. Hope to be @ the OST on the 12th. If you're in the neighborhjood, maybe we could take a ride?
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
120 Posts
Condolances.

He Road His Gold-Wing to Heaven
Adapted from
“Gone From My Sight” By Henry Van Dyke

I am standing upon the long road way.
A White Gold Wing at my side accelearates and starts
Toward the open road ahead.

It is an object of beauty and grace.
I stand and watch until at length until
It is little more than a like a speck of white cloud
On the horizon.

I hear someone at my side say;
"There, it is gone!"

"Gone where?"
Gone from my sight. That is all.
It is just as large in frame as when it left my side
and it continues to move to its destined port.
Its diminished size is in me, not in it.

And just at the moment when someone
at my side says, "There, it is gone!"
There are other eyes watching it come near,
and other voices ready to take up the glad
shout,

"Here it comes!"

And that is dying.

·
Registered
20,680 Posts
Tom sorry to hear of the passing of your friend

nice to see you have deciced to keep the old teal bluegreen wing and trailer, it looks very nice

·
Registered
466 Posts
Condolences on the loss of your friend.

I hope my 08 looks as good and runs as well as your GLs. The former is my responsibility and the latter Hondas. So far we're doing well.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Tom,
Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers said for his family and friends.
Frank

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey Tom,

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I used to live in San Antonio years ago a have heard of Joe Harrison but not George Sistrunk. I'm interested in if you personally know George and any of his family history. My best friend is named Steve Sistrunk. I've never met, known of or even heard of another Sistrunk outside of his family. I know his dad was named Roy Sistrunk. My friend has never mentioned a relative named George but it makes me wonder.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Lost Friend

Tom,
Sorry to hear about your friend. Prayers said for his family and friends.
you keep riding !!see ya on the road !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts