GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in discussions with my insurance carrier about the mileage one can expect from a goldwing. When I indicated that I have over 120,000 miles (193,500 km) on my 03 wing, his comment was that at that distance the bike must be just about dead. (The lack of knowledge of some of these guys is scary.) If the need ever arrises, I would like to provide him with a list of responses from other riders indicating the distances that their wings have travelled without major engine work.....Hugh

·
Registered
874 Posts
I"ll be the first...mine has 200,534 on it as we speak and if you didn't know it you would think it has 20K on it by the way it runs!

:popcorn:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just got my 04 2 years ago it has about 80k on it. It had 40 when I bought it but my 86 GL1200 had 150k on and was still running great when I traded it in.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I am in discussions with my insurance carrier about the mileage one can expect from a goldwing. When I indicated that I have over 120,000 miles (193,500 km) on my 03 wing, his comment was that at that distance the bike must be just about dead. (The lack of knowledge of some of these guys is scary.) If the need ever arrises, I would like to provide him with a list of responses from other riders indicating the distances that their wings have travelled without major engine work.....Hugh
Don't know how it works in Canada but insurance companies are all about the numbers so I suspect it's the same as in the US.

The cost of your policy will assume a value for your bike. They will repair it up to that point and they will total it out. The value they assign might be less than market and less than what it is worth to you but having a bunch of Internet guys saying their bike lasted longer won't change the value of the policy.

I'd ask your agent what value they are assigning to the bike. That's all that truly matters when it comes to paying out anyway as that is what the policy is written to cover.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The GL1800 is a true 200k engine; assuming regular/proper oil & filter changes there is absolutely no reason it won't last a minimum of that mileage, with perhaps a replacement alternator or fuel pump along the way. No top-end rebuilds like some other popular brands/models at 80k! Some who keep the bike long term (as I plan to) will easilly achieve 300k and upwards with minimum engine issues/repairs.

If a tranny goes at high mileage or there is crash damage at some point, that would be what limits you achieving these mileages (if you decide to let your Wing go at that point). I wouldn't expect that your insurance company would know anything about the longevity of specific models/designs.

:bow: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
175,000 when I sold my '02. Ran and handled better than the new ones coming off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I"ll be the first...mine has 200,534 on it as we speak and if you didn't know it you would think it has 20K on it by the way it runs!

:popcorn:
153,000 and second your comments. Get "is it new" comments all the time

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
A friend I ride with has an '05 with about 230,000 with no major repairs needed. Doesn't even burn enough oil between oil changes to be noticeable. Wife's bike has over 130k, but had transmission repair with about 90k on it. Both still run perfectly.

If you properly maintain the engine it will last AT LEAST 200k miles and probably double that.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Don't know how it works in Canada but insurance companies are all about the numbers so I suspect it's the same as in the US.

The cost of your policy will assume a value for your bike. They will repair it up to that point and they will total it out. The value they assign might be less than market and less than what it is worth to you but having a bunch of Internet guys saying their bike lasted longer won't change the value of the policy.

I'd ask your agent what value they are assigning to the bike. That's all that truly matters when it comes to paying out anyway as that is what the policy is written to cover.
What you are describing is not how insurance works in California. You don't insure your vehicle to a certain value. Of course the insurance company is using some method to determine what they are worth, but in California, if they total your vehicle they have to 'make you whole'. This means they have to pay you fair market value for your vehicle, and pay sales tax, and estimated licensing fee so that you can purchase a comparable vehicle with zero out of pocket(minus deductible). They often calculate the value of the vehicle using actual ads in autotrader/cycletrader, etc.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I seen this personally, motor has not been rebuilt.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Progressive paid retail blue book for my totaled Venture but it was only a year old with 35k miles. I thought it was fair.

·
Administrator
3,584 Posts
I have 208,000 on my 2006 Wing. It runs like new, doesn't burn enough oil to even talk about, and I'd strike out tomorrow for anywhere in the US and be confident that I'd get there and back. I plan on riding this Wing for at least 300,000 miles, and probably further if I'm still able to ride.

Glen

·
Registered
819 Posts
177,000. Purr's like a kitten!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
So I guess with 15,000 only on my 2010... I'd have a few more miles left in her??? Yea!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I seen this personally, motor has not been rebuilt.

That was seven weeks ago....He now has 491,xxx miles on it. I saw it yesterday.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That was seven weeks ago....He now has 491,xxx miles on it. I saw it yesterday.
I passed him on I-4 Sunday. I wondered how many miles he had now put on it. 13,xxx in 7 weeks...crazy riding.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
This was taken in 2011 at the Davis Rally in Iowa.
2 Brothers own 1500's and have almost the same mileage.
Last time I saw 1 of the bikes, it had over 750,000 miles

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Mileage

I believe they are just broken in at 250,000 miles. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

·
Registered
855 Posts
From reading a thread very similar to this, I went ahead and bought my '02 with 151K miles on it. Knowing that these bikes go well over 200k, I had no problem buying it. 3 years later, I am at 185K on it. Just put my second car tire on the rear, and looking to break 200K this season. Not last year, but the year before I took it to the drag strip just for funs. I tow my Bunkhouse trailer many times a year, this year will be no different. Ride it to work every day that the snow doesnt fly. Doesnt smoke, doesnt use oil. A few electronic thingys dont work, but the ones that dont, dont really bother me (cruise stays on, reverse "on" button is intermittent). I told my bride I was going to ride it until 200K before trading up. I may rethink that, and move the mileage to 250K.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
If you are still carrying collision insurance on an '03, you are likely dropping dollars down a rat hole. Liability for property damage and medical including your pillion is necessary, but collision is best reserved for newer machines IMHO.

prs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts