GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 wing with 208,000 miles on it. It runs perfectly. I purchased it with around 200,000 miles and have change the oil twice. Both times I drained a gallon out with indicates that I am not using any oil. Both times I uses shell rotella 5w40 nonsynthetic. My question is "if I use the synthetic version could I encounters any problems, or should I just stay with the 5w40"? :shrug:
thank you,
02 pear orange
Mr Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Rotella 5W40 is the synthetic version in the blue jug, 15W40 is non-synthetic in white jug.

G

·
Oil is oil - just use oil and change it once in a while - yearly or every 10K and you will be good for another 200K

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Rotella 5W40 is the synthetic version in the blue jug, 15W40 is non-synthetic in white jug.
:agree:Yup. Depending on how it was taken care of and the condition of the engine, and quality of oil the previous owner used, going synthetic could, might, possibly, but not will, cause leaks by cleaning out some buildup that has gotten between gaskets.
All the diesel oils have serious detergent and soot control though so you are probably fine to go which ever direction you want.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If you go synthetic now, it won't do anything but help. Oil is NOT oil, IMO.

Nice to know I'll have about 200k more miles on my Wing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
With that many miles on it I would stick to what you have in it because it is working. A friend with a 1500 wing with way over 100,000 switched to synthetic oil and said it started smoking and using oil, switched back to Honda oil and it was fine again.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My '04 has 206k on it. Up until about 10k, ago it always had full synthetic. The I noticed it will use a little about every 2k miles.

I went to Castrol Synthetic Blend for High-Mileage engines, 10-40w. I asked people who would know more than I and was assured that going to a blend would be no problem. I figured it couldn't hurt.

Still running like a top with no issues. :yes1:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
High mileage Wing

thanks for the responces!!!! The previous owner used the honda dyno oil 1040. The reason I changed is the honda oil was $27.00 a gallon and the 5w 40 rotella was $13.00. I heard that it was a much better oil and it was half the price. I am using the white jug. I guess if the honda 1040 worked that well I should at the least be in much better shape with the rotella white. I am still not sure if I should swith to the blue synthetic, but I guess it dosent really matter. If the white rotella is that much better than the honda i should be good to go. :clap2:
thanks again

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Oil is oil - just use oil and change it once in a while - yearly or every 10K and you will be good for another 200K

"Yearly or every 10K...."

That "thud" you just heard was about half the people on this forum just fainted at reading that...

I use Honda 10w30, ordered online, my contribution to the sponsor of this board. It also works in my pressure washer and log splitter powered by Honda. My John Deere Lawn mower likes it fine, too.

Bikes get new oil about every 7-8K... your post made me a little faint, but I didn't pass out!:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts