GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it might be interesting to see of those with over 100,000 miles on their Wings, what type of oil you used for the most part.

It will give us newbies an idea as to plan for the long haul. Thanks :lol:

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Oil changes

Shell Rotella 15W40 on all three wings.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
I have tried almost all of the motor oils that are popular for the Wing and some which are no longer available. 125,000 miles and it makes no great difference except for cost and how long the oil lets the tranny shift smoothly. I now use the 15-40 Shell Rotella heavy duty oil that has an excellent additive package for zink and phosphorus and is relatively inexpensive. 5-40 Shell T-6 is excellent also, but a little more costly for no extra benefit that I can "feel". 100,000 on banana oil would probably be OK on this bike.

prs

·
Registered
46 Posts
High Mileage Wings and Oil

Rotella 5W40 for the past 140,000+ miles. Change oil every 8,000 to 10,000 miles. 4 quarts out, 4 quarts in. No oil used between changes.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Amsoil (syn) 10-40

·
Registered
839 Posts
Whatever is cheapest at the time 10w40, Valvaline Max Life, mobile 1 high mileage. They are all pretty much the same today. 150,000 miles on my 04 and its just now broken in....runs awesome.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I think the better question would be..................

Has there ever been a oil related failure on a wing. And, if there was what was the oil used, and how long was it in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, what I was hoping to show is pretty much what has been posted. That even with a good dino oil these bikes will last forever. Of course all have been diesel so far. Be interesting to see someone with that high of mileage that used something like GN4.

As far as posts of ones that ever had a issue, really dont think there would be any posts.:lol:

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
This has come up a few times and most of the high mileage guys will tell you they used pretty generic oil. (IE...nothing too fancy or expensive)

I think Shell Rotella 15W-40 Dyno or the 5W-50 Synthetic seems to be the most widely used.

I personally believe that changing more often is more important than what you use.

I also like value and those high dollar oil changes really add up.

If you change per the manual and change the first one at 4K and then 8K thereafter you will have 13 oil changes in 100K miles.

If you use Rotella 15W-40, it is $13 a gallon just about everywhere. Add a decent oil filter and you can change for well under $25 so you'll spend $325 on oil changes every 100K miles.

If you use a high end oil like Amsoil, you'll pay $13 a quart so an oil change will cost you around $65 with a good filter so you'll spend about $845 for the same 100K miles.

It seems most of the people that keep the bike for 100's of thousands of miles are value conscious and prefer to save the $520. The other people seem to trade their bikes more often and will say that it's silly to save $40 on an oil change for a $25K bike and would much rather spend the extra $520 over 100K miles if they kept their bike that long to know that they had the best oil in their bike.

Bottom line...In my opinion it seems to be more about peoples tendency to be frugal vs. upgrade and have the best that drives oil choices rather than an actual performance difference.

Your money...your choice.

Oh...and if it matters I use Rotella 5W-40 because I like the 5W part of it for when you are starting cold. I've recently made this switch from the Rotella 15W-40. My oil change is now about $30 and I change every 5K miles so I'll spend $600 in oil changes every 100K miles. (I guess I'm about halfway between the frugal and the "have the best" guys.)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Whatever is cheapest at the time 10w40, Valvaline Max Life, mobile 1 high mileage. They are all pretty much the same today. 150,000 miles on my 04 and its just now broken in....runs awesome.
I like fanning the flames...:cool:

That's automotive oil not motorcycle oil!!!! :joke::shock::roll:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I like fanning the flames...:cool:

That's automotive oil not motorcycle oil!!!! :joke::shock::roll:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
To answer the OP's question I swear by Mobil 1 motorcycle 10w40 ;)

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Amsoil 10-40 7-8,000 mile change. 110,000 on a 2008. 04 130,000 before this one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
GTX Castrol 20W50

With only 107,820 miles on my 03 Black GL1800 I use GTX Castrol 20W50. Enjoying every mile.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
High Mileage

WELCOME to the forum, good luck. Be safe and enjoy the ride. Larry

1 - 20 of 30 Posts