GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, New to me GL1800 trike with 51,000 miles. At around 40mph a high pitch whine starts until I hit just north of 60 mph. At first I suspected tire noise, nope, noise stops as soon as the clutch is pulled in. Re-engage the drive, the same whine returns. There is no vibration at all. Has anyone experienced this with a regular two wheeler or might this be something with the trike kit? Thank you,

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
It could be the alternator whining. Some are louder than others. My 2004 had it and my 2012 has it only it's louder.

I think Honda put in a higher output alternator in the ones after 2006.
By pulling the clutch, the engine slows and the alternator is not spinning as fast.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Whine

Hello everyone, New to me GL1800 trike with 51,000 miles. At around 40mph a high pitch whine starts until I hit just north of 60 mph. At first I suspected tire noise, nope, noise stops as soon as the clutch is pulled in. Re-engage the drive, the same whine returns. There is no vibration at all. Has anyone experienced this with a regular two wheeler or might this be something with the trike kit? Thank you,
Does the whine follow engine speed or road speed? Most if not all GL1800s have some alternator whine which will change pitch and volume with engine speed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the whine follow engine speed or road speed? Most if not all GL1800s have some alternator whine which will change pitch and volume with engine speed.

I will try matching the rpm with the speed the next time I am out. If this is my issue will replacing it with a Compufire get rid of it or can I just replace bearings? Thanks for this suggestion.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Do you wear a helmet? I noticed on all of my wings the whine and other engine noises are much louder without a helmet.

Reactions: cihilb

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Noise

I will try matching the rpm with the speed the next time I am out. If this is my issue will replacing it with a Compufire get rid of it or can I just replace bearings? Thanks for this suggestion.
I suggest getting someone to listen to it that is accustomed to the alternator whine on a Goldwing before replacing it. You can either rebuild the alternator or replace it if needed. Either one will work. The cheap alternatives have had issues but the either the Compufire or OEM seem to be fine.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
It could be the alternator whining. Some are louder than others. My 2004 had it and my 2012 has it only it's louder.

I think Honda put in a higher output alternator in the ones after 2006.
By pulling the clutch, the engine slows and the alternator is not spinning as fast.

+1 for the alternator.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
...By pulling the clutch, the engine slows and the alternator is not spinning as fast.

...Engine only slows if you also reduce throttle (rpm).

Try holding throttle steady (to maintain rpm), and pull in the clutch. If the noise remains, then Alternator is still a possible culprit.
If it goes away, then it's not the Alternator.

Reactions: camplejeune

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Pick up a mechanics stethoscope at your auto parts store. With this you can probe and isolate where noises are coming from.

If it comes to replacing the alternator... Honda new or Ken Hemming of MARS.. Motorcycle Alternator Repair Service are my recommendations.
Have heard a few odd stories from Compufire.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

Try holding throttle steady (to maintain rpm), and pull in the clutch. If the noise remains, then Alternator is still a possible culprit.

Actually the engine speed will increase since there is no longer a load on the engine. Probably red line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I was going try this exact test the next time I get out. Thanks ALEXB.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pick up a mechanics stethoscope at your auto parts store. With this you can probe and isolate where noises are coming from.

If it comes to replacing the alternator... Honda new or Ken Hemming of MARS.. Motorcycle Alternator Repair Service are my recommendations.
Have heard a few odd stories from Compufire.

Corventure Dave

I have heard of MARS thru the VRCC. I have a mechanic's stethoscope and will use it if this is an rpm issue that I can duplicate in the driveway. I am hoping it can be duplicated? Thanks,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts