GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a ride of about 150 miles, I pulled into my garage and after I shut the bike off I heard a high pitched whine. It was almost inaudible but when I put my ear down by the side cover by the battery, it was definitely coming from that area.

A little background: About a month ago I left the key on and found the battery dead about a week later. I recharged it using a borrowed trickle charger set on 6 volts for about 4 days then 12 volts for about 48 hours. There was no change in the dead battery on the 6 volts. The bike ran flawlessly after that.

Did I screw something up here?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used to get a highpitched whine from the back seat area on my (Dark Side) other bike when the wife and I would get back from a long ride (anything in excess of about 100 miles).

Since I bought my Goldwing the high pitch whine from the back seat area of the bike is gone.

Sorry that I couldnt be more help!

KCButch

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a KLR650 that gets a high-pitched whine after a ride sometimes. It's the fuel tank venting. Remove the gas cap and it quits. I have no idea if this ever happens to Wings but it's an easy thing to check.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
entrop said:
I have a KLR650 that gets a high-pitched whine after a ride sometimes. It's the fuel tank venting. Remove the gas cap and it quits. I have no idea if this ever happens to Wings but it's an easy thing to check.
That was going to be my guess. :cry: Something to do with the fuel tank vent or the fuel pump itself.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Negative pressure in the fuel tank would cause that

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next time I hear it I will try the gas cap.

Thanks for the reply. You guys are great.

Roy

·
Registered
547 Posts
I used to get a high pitched whine after taking a long ride with my ex-wife, but since I ditched her, the whine hasn't been heard. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts