GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 NAV/ABS with about 16,700 miles. I am still very new to Wings (one month). Today while riding mainly interstates my bike developed a new high pitched whine. It is in response to throttle revs. As I turn the throttle the whine gets higher pitched and louder. It does this while rolling or on the center stand in neutral. Other then the whine the bike appears to be responding normally. Acceleration is fine, clutch feels the same, engine temp is in the normal spot, etc. When I let go of the throttle and the engine is winding down there are very small pops or crackles. The exhaust is clear no smoke or viewable particulates. I have not added any new mods or accessories to the bike. I did increase the octane to 89 the last two tanks of gas. The gauge now is at 1/4. Anyone have any ideas of what might be going on?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I think just to know, test the battery both static and under load at about 2000 rpm.

What are the results.

See the pop and sputter kinda indicates the charging system. When an alternator starts to go on the blink the bike will spit and sputter at slow speeds. Be fine at higher speeds .

So test the alternator also.

Just to get started. A starting point.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,207 Posts
I think just to know, test the battery both static and under load at about 2000 rpm.

What are the results.

See the pop and sputter kinda indicates the charging system. When an alternator starts to go on the blink the bike will spit and sputter at slow speeds. Be fine at higher speeds .

So test the alternator also.

Just to get started. A starting point.
:agree: Alternator could be going south.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Is the whine from the engine or alternator ???

I thought I had a similar problem ... turned the volume on the communication headset all the way down ... off ... no more whine. I believe some of us experience excessive whining noise from the headsets ...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Most of the whining seems to come from this forum

Seriously, if the sound varies consistently with the rpm, it may be alternator noise. A lot of wings, mine included, have whined since new. The "other than whine" noises would concern me.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think I have learned the normal Wing Whine, like a sewing machine. This is different and as I read several suggestions regarding the alternator it certainly does make sense since the engine otherwise appears to be at it's normal power and performance. It almost sounds like a fan belt gone bad in a car. Not sure if the 1800 has belts, I seem to remember that they don't. I don't use a headset so I know it is not that. The bike is under extended warranty so I'll take it in on Monday and have them check it out starting with the alternator. Thank you all for your input. I particularly enjoyed the one suggestion on how to stop the whine by "leave her home". LOL.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
No belts, the alternator is gear driven and has a high pitch whine in some bikes.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here is an update:
The alternator checked out fine. Since then I have finally figured out that the high pitched whine only happened when I had my iPod plugged into the power outlet that I had installed. Unplug the iPod from the power outlet and the whine went away.

Yesterday I installed a CSS-12-high Power Noise Filter and it seems to be working. I can now charge my iPod or iPhone and the bike just maintains that normal sewing machine sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts