GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from having new tires installed on my '07 and having the gear oil changed. I was quoted $119 but when I got the bill it was $171.00!

When I asked about the $119 the rep said "that was just the labor cost". I got front and rear tires changed, gear oil changed and 2 new valve stems.

I went back and looked at what I paid at a MAXIM Honda in Allen, TX last July for the same thing and it was only $117. I guess I should have gone back there, huh?

·
Registered
906 Posts
damn dude,,,,tire swap here 60.00 bucks been that way last 2 years,,,,makes ya wanna grab your ankles huh!!!!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
rule one--- know to the penny what things cost, and thats before you ok the work

rule two--if you find a decent service place, return

S

·
0 Posts
rule one--- know to the penny what things cost, and thats before you ok the work

Rule 3 - it's free if you do you own no matter what the labor rate :cool:

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Rule 3 - it's free if you do you own no matter what the labor rate :cool:
That HF tire changer will pay for itself over and over at those prices. Gear oil change is less than 10min, and 6 of those is waiting for the oil to drain.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Freds DVD's will save you some, oops! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'S

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was quoted today tire price 147 - 250 elite 3 front mount and balance free - 20.00 If I bring my own tire in 25 - 60.00 labor rates from 65- 85 an hour .

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Local dealer here in middle ga 110.00 + valves to install 2 & balance 2 tires... I have a tire shop so i have a tire machine...& i am getting a pitbull motorcycle jack this weekend..meeting them on 75 on there way home from daytona...so in about a week anyone in middle ga want to install there own tires,,hit me up...I just mounted 2 last week for a fellow memeber..I also just installed risers on my bars..screw them crazy prices..

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Buy your tires from the people who will be mounting them. It always comes out cheaper that way no matter how cheap the internet price seems at first...

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Buy your tires from the people who will be mounting them. It always comes out cheaper that way no matter how cheap the internet price seems at first...
Not here in middle ga ..320.00 for 2 bridgestones..+ installation 90.00 ..got them from hal for 260.00 on sale..+ 110.00 to istall at dealer..that is 410 tires purchsed at dealer + tax..or 370.00 & not tax...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts

I found the same here in Ventura. The shop is one of those that won't work on bikes older than 10 years old...the busterds... butt.... if you buy the tires there, they mount and spin balance for free when you bring in your wheel(s). They surprised the help out of me with the lowest prices per tire also... Bridgestone's! Sorry Hal!:cry:
Their standard mounting-balancing fee is $24 with a walk in wheel and tire.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just got back from having new tires installed on my '07 and having the gear oil changed. I was quoted $119 but when I got the bill it was $171.00!

When I asked about the $119 the rep said "that was just the labor cost". I got front and rear tires changed, gear oil changed and 2 new valve stems.

I went back and looked at what I paid at a MAXIM Honda in Allen, TX last July for the same thing and it was only $117. I guess I should have gone back there, huh?
What shop did this one?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
This is the going rate around here:

If you buy your tires elsewhere = $120 each axle (on the bike) for labor
If you buy your tires elsewhere = $35 each axle (bring in the wheels only) labor

If you buy your tires from them = $60 each axle (on the bike) for labor
If you buy your tires from them = $0 each axle (bring in the wheels only)

Of course, that's why I have a tire changer and get my tires from Hal.

Note that there are many shops here that will not even balance a tire that you didn't buy from them, much less change one.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Local dealer here in middle ga 110.00 + valves to install 2 & balance 2 tires... I have a tire shop so i have a tire machine...& i am getting a pitbull motorcycle jack this weekend..meeting them on 75 on there way home from daytona...so in about a week anyone in middle ga want to install there own tires,,hit me up...I just mounted 2 last week for a fellow memeber..I also just installed risers on my bars..screw them crazy prices..
So is it safe to assume that you don't have any problem with people buying their auto tires on line and having you mount them at the same price you would charge if they bought them from you ?????

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
So is it safe to assume that you don't have any problem with people buying their auto tires on line and having you mount them at the same price you would charge if they bought them from you ?????
I have no problem mounting tires..that were not bought from me.....it is 15.00 for mount & balance up to 18 inch..patch is 15.00..also...I love walmart..they sell the tires cheap & make no money on them..people do not want to wait 2 hours to get them installed at wallmart..so they pay me 60.00..done in 20 minutes....

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I would agree. However, I have had at least 4 tire changes and never paid more than $117 WITH the gear oil and new valve stems.

When the service rep quoted me $119, I assumed that was out the door, it always has been in the past. I get the feeling that this is their way of making up for a slow economy.

I will go back to MAXIM next time.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Not here in middle ga ..320.00 for 2 bridgestones..+ installation 90.00 ..got them from hal for 260.00 on sale..+ 110.00 to istall at dealer..that is 410 tires purchsed at dealer + tax..or 370.00 & not tax...
Don't you find it puzzling that I can get Bridgestones (or any tire manufacturer) tire cheaper and the labor cheaper here in one of the most expensive places to live on planet Earth, than you guys around the counrty do?
This is not to brag, rather to point out a very strange inconsistancy.:wrong:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts