GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the Goldwing returning to riding after a 25 year lay off. 10 days ago I bought an ’08 1800 ABS with 15,000 mile on her. I am wearing a Shark Evoline 2 helmet. I have Centramatic Wheel Balancers. I have Cobra Avalon’s front and back and they seem pretty new.

On the freeway once I get up about 65 or 70 the bike gets very rough as if I am being buffeted by wind from every direction. Nothing smooth at all. Not really a wobble but instead it is as if my front wheel is not running in line with the back. And as if it is skipping at times as if it is way over inflated (but it is not). I have tried lowering the windshield all the way down and then doing the opposite, putting it all the way up. I have put my face bar all the way back to reduce wind under the chin and I have driven with the bar and face shield all the way down. Nothing I have tried works. Instead no matter what I do once I hit about 65 – 70 it is as if I am in a big truck convoy or riding to Palm Springs but as if the wind is coming hard from every direction. Today on a toll road where I was by myself, not another car or truck could be seen and the pavement was brand new I had to slow down because I thought I was going to loss control.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

gary

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Open your vent 1 click. It sounds goofy, but helps. If you don't have them invest in a pair of Baker wings. If only the mirror wings, it will help too.

If you have the funds, a V-Stream or Wind Bender windshild help out a ton. It doesn't hurt to start small though and the wings will be of benifit even if you opt for a new shield in the future.

Without riding it, it sounds like there could be other problems. I wonder if the buffeting is causing a false perception.

Best Wishes And Welcome to the Madd House.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I guess the false perception is that Honda have these bikes sorted. I too was extremely disappointed with the buffeting on my Wing. It’s my first bike with a shield... You would think – that having made these Wings for so many years they would sort them out. Ok rant done. I fitted a F4-+4 screen. I didn’t get the vented, but fitted one after 2 rides. It seems that you have to get some positive pressure behind the screen to me. I also bought and fitted some wind deflector ( baker wings) that fit under the mirrors. These have improved it. Not 100%, but good enough. But not good enough Honda. Youall got ye ears on Mr Honda.

Kiwi'ster

·
Registered
582 Posts
Many will not believe this, but a spoiler does help...

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Echo the above comments. Baker Air Wings make a really good investment, reduces buffeting, gives you air flow in warm weather, reduces cold air on you and your hands in winter.

I went with the F4+4, no vent, the air wings take care of that (the money for the vent went to the wings, IMO better spent.)

Riding buddy has the windbender, he likes it.

I have a spoiler, he doesn't. Seems we get about the same results, but I do like the looks of the spoiler, makes a nice handle for getting into the trunk, and like the additional brake/running light.

Grooved pavement will make the bike wander no matter what you have. However we are darksiders, and that made a big difference in stability. (please, no flames, just offering an observation).

·
Registered
489 Posts
WindBender windshield will solve the problem for you and your co-rider.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Installing an F4+4 vented windshield reduced buffeting to a point that I don't mind.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Gary, welcome to the board and congrats on your new steed. All of the shields have drawbacks. Before spending any $$$, and if you feel comfortable doing so, completely remove your windshield and take it for a ride over the same types of roads. See what happens to the 'buffeting' your are experiencing. Here are a few reasons (from personal experience) why I suggest this.

1) When we speak of buffeting I am not sure we are all saying the same thing. For example, what is the difference between buffeting and a rhythmic popping around the ears. I know what I call each, but not sure what others mean.
2) I have tried the Tulsa Extra Tall and the F4+4 shields. Both are excellent shields but in the slightest of crosswinds I get blown around like a rag doll.
3) On the stock shield I don't have the full frontal protection provided by the Tulsa or F4, but since it is smaller I don't get blown around as much in. Plus, when I ride in the rain at dark (if I can't keep the speed up), I have difficulty seeing through the taller shields.
4) When I tried the windbender (on a friends bike) I found the rhythmic popping around my ears intolerable (I wear a half helmet)...not a buffeting per se, but a popping around my ears. This happened at all speeds and with the shield at many different heights.

If riding with the shield off eliminates what you are experiencing, you might be better served with the aerodynamic Tulsa, but then you will be dealing with the effects of cross winds. No perfect world I guess.

If you notice no change in the bike, while riding without the shield, you may want to search out someone with more road experience on a GL1800 and have them ride it. From your description it is quite possible your problem is not related to wind handling at all. Good luck.

·
Registered
512 Posts
gia,

you'll be 'the talk of your neighbors ' with the new gw in your driveway getting ready to roll out. congrats!

something to keep in mind. riding the bike in the middle of the day when the air has gotten thick,,,aka,,,the humidity is kicking in,,,,REALLY makes for added buffeting. a taller shield may help somewhat.
like someone else mentioned ,if the buffeting is really affecting your perception of the GW's comfort you may try riding a few mph's slower on a two lane to enjoy the ride,although being in cali,,this is going to be a tough nut to crack.

go for a couple late evening rides and see how almost no buffeting is very realistic.
very much the same flying an airplane...late evening,,very early morning or middle of the night is tops,,when the heat/humidity is really staying 'on task'.

take care,
bc

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also, out there on the slab at speed you WILL get some buffeting from the 18 wheelers.....It's part of riding a bike. I've noticed that even a good bit back from a big rig I'll feel the turbulance from 'em. The solution? Pass 'em!;)

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
5'11"/ stock. oem 2010 shield/ pushed down with little buffeting

I always wonder why some complain and some don't

it is a motorcycle

expect wind

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed a Vstream and Baker Mirror wings. This has all but eliminated the buffering for me. For those who say we should just expect the wind I say that they are wrong, the buffeting was so bad I could not read road signs clearly at any distance....that can't be safe!!!! Also there is the matter of keeping my wife happy, she has a bad neck and can't stand the buffeting for more than a haft hour. So I would try the Baker wings first then a different windshield.

Oh yea it seams better in a cross wind as well......

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Buffeting you want to feel buffeting.Then come on down and I'll let you ride my 900 (see below), Then you'll feel what buffeting feels like at 85.
I guarantee you'll get back on the wing and think you are in a cacoon..lol

Congrats on the new wing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Buy a 2012. :joke:

I haven't noticed any buffeting.
:lol: I'm new to Goldwing. I have the stock shield raised to just below eye level on my 2012 Wing. I can ride at 75 mph with my helmet's shield open and no ear plugs and I'm sitting in a perfectly still wind noise free spot... I find that amazing.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
buffeting

Gary,

1st wecome and congrats on your new wing.
You didn't indicate in your original post if there was traffic or not. If there was, try finding a time or location that you can ride at speed alone. That will determine if the bike is the problem mechanicly. I have an 03 with with OEM shield (no vent), and a full compliment of Bakers. I live and ride, mostly, where the traffic allows me some solitude. If I had to deal with the slabs in California on a regular basis, I would probably change my shield. I get buffeting at those speeds from a mid sized cage close in front of me, but not when I'm alone. Others have indicated that helmut choices have made some differences. Good luck with your quest.

Richard

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
:lol: I'm new to Goldwing. I have the stock shield raised to just below eye level on my 2012 Wing. I can ride at 75 mph with my helmet's shield open and no ear plugs and I'm sitting in a perfectly still wind noise free spot... I find that amazing.
please tell us what has been changed on the 2012. Sounds unbelievable and wonderful.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts