GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. This is going to sound stupid, but I just a little feedback that it's going to be fine.
Out west here, there's long stretches of highway that are 80mph or higher. Cooking along at 85mph, my 2012 is turning around 3400rpm (going from memory).

That's like halfway to redline. It sounds like the bike's working hard. Going to Salt Lake City, I'd be looking at 4 hours at 90mph.

Is that OK? Am I pushing the GL too hard at those speeds and duration?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
The GL1800 engine is designed for those conditions.
Honda does spec a colder heat range spark plug for use under high ambient temps and continuous high rpm running.
It's listed in the owner's manual.
And I would suggest 10W-40 engine oil rather than 10W-30.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I don't think so I rode my trike from Austin to Tucson in July pulling a trailer at 80 mph almost all the way and the only problem I had was I just got about 140 miles to the tank instead of around 180

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Here I am out west with the cruise control set at 90mph indicated on the GW speedometer. It shows the tach and the temp gauge. Don't know what the ambient temp was at the time but it was warm. At least in the 80's. The temp gauge was riding in it's usual spot of right under 1/2 way on the gauge. Don't think the bike was straining at all.

On another trip to Alaska I ran in the mid 80's mph pulling a Mini Mate camper. Other than poor gas mileage, the wing didn't even flinch when going up grades.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,594 Posts
I run mine in the Ozarks for hours in mostly 3rd gear with the RPM at 4,000 + and it just keeps on going. I do change my oil a little more often than the book recommends. Also, just checked the coolant and it was slightly down a little. Other than that no problem. Like someone else said, "ride it like you stole it"!!

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Hi guys. This is going to sound stupid, but I just a little feedback that it's going to be fine.
Out west here, there's long stretches of highway that are 80mph or higher. Cooking along at 85mph, my 2012 is turning around 3400rpm (going from memory).

That's like halfway to redline. It sounds like the bike's working hard. Going to Salt Lake City, I'd be looking at 4 hours at 90mph.

When you do get to Salt Lake city, you'll need to be doing 90 to keep from getting run over! I ride through there quite often. I've ridden through Wyoming and Nebraska at 80+ a few time and no problems.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
If you're really worried (you shouldn't be...), there is a thread out there that discusses a different rear gear set that'll lower engine RPM a bit.

(Besides, 90MPH times four hours means ... you're out of fuel right close to hour three. :cool:

·
Registered
4,919 Posts

No it can take it all day long.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I have no issues now.
I have all kinds of confidence in the Wing, and Honda engineering. I hope you can understand why halfway to redline for hours on end would have been concerning without your feedback.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
656 Posts
What percentage to redline does the typical piston aircraft engine run at cruise speed? Almost 90%, or so I suspect/recall. That's where they are made to operate, and of course, overhaul/rebuild times are comparatively short(er). But, operating the Wing engine at 50% maximum rpm won't bother it any.

·
SuperModerator
3,338 Posts
Quite a few of us do 1500 mile and 2000 mile Ironbutt rides though West Texas at 90 mph pulling trailers. Like the man said, the only harm is to the fuel economy.

Glen

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
When you do get to Salt Lake city, you'll need to be doing 90 to keep from getting run over!
Pooch isn't kidding here! Posted speed is 65, 85 in the slow lane gets you tailgated, 90 you'll see the cops passing you, at 95 you're moving with traffic. Keep an eye out though, after one of their State Troopers almost got taken out......twice, this Winter, they're threatening to crack down on aggressive drivers.
As to the question at hand, ride it like you stole it. ;)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not an issue. Pre-trip check your oil coolant and tires. I ride high heat dessert with a trailer or camper and I do watch my engine temp and tire pressures & temps. When I feel I check for tire wear; I had bad tire wear on one trip when it was 115F most of the day and I was running 80-85mph with traffic.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What percentage to redline does the typical piston aircraft engine run at cruise speed? Almost 90%, or so I suspect/recall. That's where they are made to operate
Absolutely correct. Especially at higher altitudes. At 9000+ plus, I run my Cherokee at 99% of redline (although at that alt, it's only running at 60% power or less).

I just wasn't sure the Wing was built for that, but clearly it is!
Thanks

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
The wing should handle it fine but maybe check the oil level more frequently especially if you are pulling a trailer The only time my 03 used a little oil was during high speeds riding combined with hot temperatures and pulling a 180KG trailer (y)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts