GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
A bit off topic here but I think the engine question has been answered sufficiently.

My off topic post is that I'd be more worried about over heating / over wearing the tire than stressing the engine.

I do think both will be fine.

However, 90 mph for 4 hours if it's hot outside will really wear your tire quickly. That amount of wind drag plus heat is very hard on the rear tire. My guess is that you'd wear out a rear tire in less than 4000 miles if you rode it in those conditions all the time.

Obviously you won't wear out a new tire in 4 hours doing a single run like that, but I wouldn't do it with a tire that is close to end of life.

Reactions: Bayrec and bgross

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get an ad on tpms system that records tire pressure and temp and you are good to go. Tire heats up over what you are comfortable with just pull over and let it cool down, bought mine through Cyclemax and love it though I really don't care about the temp as you will not find a reputable place that will give a max temp even the manufacturer.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A bit off topic here but I think the engine question has been answered sufficiently.

My off topic post is that I'd be more worried about over heating / over wearing the tire than stressing the engine.

I do think both will be fine.

However, 90 mph for 4 hours if it's hot outside will really wear your tire quickly. That amount of wind drag plus heat is very hard on the rear tire. My guess is that you'd wear out a rear tire in less than 4000 miles if you rode it in those conditions all the time.

Obviously you won't wear out a new tire in 4 hours doing a single run like that, but I wouldn't do it with a tire that is close to end of life.
Another reason I am darkside .

81 - 84 of 84 Posts