GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. Guys I've had my 2001 Pearl Hotrod Yellow Goldwing since June, (it
now has almost 38,000 miles-just broken in). I've been living with the high speed miss I wrote about a couple of months ago but since we're heading into the winter months and my riding will probably go down to 4 days a week, I was wondering what might, if any, be the solution for the high speed miss I'm having. It is a pretty substantial loss in performance between 80 and 110 under full throttle conditions, (110 is my max speed due to the performance issues).
Yes I know about the Valve adjustments and timing and it is due for the valve check. The Service Manager at my local Honda dealer told he hasn't had to adjust any of them that he's checked yet, (they were all right in spec). He recommended changing the air filter and running High Octance fuel and a can of Klotz octane boost cleaner which I tried for 2 tankfuls-NO CHANGE in the high speed miss but the spark knock under acceleration has almost disappeared.
I read on this board, (or Riders Rally), where some of the 2001 1800s
had performance issues that never could be fixed no matter how many times the dealer worked on them. I like to do my own work but I was wondering am I wasting my time thinking I can get rid of the high speed miss on my Goldwing? I've heard that the performance issues were eliminated on the '02 and newer Wings. My bike has all the recalls and service bulletins done, (along with new ECM). My bike NEVER overheats,(even on 100° days) and other than some Spark Knock and the High Speed Miss, (and a SLIGHT oil smell after a long ride), the engine works very well).
I just want all the performance I paid for. Can I get it with this bike?
By the way, it does have the Elite III 180/70R16 on the back if that makes any difference in performance.
Thanks, Don Wittbrodt

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
HI...coil wires caps??? look inside the sparkplug cap (where it goes on the plug) there is a sloted (strait screwdriver) inner piece there is a resister inside see it that is loose or the resister broke ??????he!! I am guessing like everone else...chuck PM me your ph # I will call maybe I can explain better there are other things to check..

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Re: High Speed Miss/poor High Speed Performance, suggestions

dwitgoldwing said:
O.K. Guys I've had my 2001 Pearl Hotrod Yellow Goldwing since June, (it
now has almost 38,000 miles-just broken in). I've been living with the high speed miss I wrote about a couple of months ago but since we're heading into the winter months and my riding will probably go down to 4 days a week, I was wondering what might, if any, be the solution for the high speed miss I'm having. It is a pretty substantial loss in performance between 80 and 110 under full throttle conditions, (110 is my max speed due to the performance issues).
I didn't follow your previous thread, so I don't know all the things you've tried. But my hunch is that your spark plugs have 38,000 miles on them. If that's the case, replace them.

Stu

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to let you guys know, I changed the plugs 1000 miles ago with
NO noticeable difference in performance. The high speed miss and spark knock, (when I run 87 octane) are the only indications that the engine is
not running up to potential.
I've been doing my own automobile maintenance and motorcycle maintenance for the last 30+ years and can only remember 1 spark plug change where it made any noticeable difference in performance.
I will check on the wires to see if that will help, but I don't want this Goldwing to turn into a money pit. I bought it to ride not just dump money in.
I rode with a fellow recently who also has a 2001 Goldwing and he hasn't done anything to it in 67,000 miles of riding. Now, mind you I could definitely hear his valves making noise and I'm sure it probably isn't running as good as it could, but he was telling me he has no complaints.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Could be a plugged injector or low rail pressure. Could be a plug, could be a lot of things.

Good Luck :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
engine miss

I don't know if you are at or near the red line on the tach but if you are the bike will automatically start dropping cylinders until theRPMs come down but my money would be on plug wires breaking under heat.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,215 Posts
I would pull the plugs and see if you can figure out which cylinder is dropping and then replace the coil and wires feeding that cylinder and it's mate. Goodluck :D

G

·
0 Posts
Is there a different dealer in yoru area? Seems to me with that kind of a problem they could ride it to duplicate it, then find it. Wing is a 20K motorcycle that shouldn't have a problem like that. Shoot, the faste I go the better mine runs.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
doesn't Honda tech have some kind of computer things available to dealers that could b hooked up to your wing and tell why and where it is missing ?

·
Registered
144 Posts
seems like it is leaking spark, like some of the others said, I would start at the plug wires. somtimes in the dark you can see the spark leakage.
would also just check and make sure plug wires are tight at connections.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
DWITWING, Did you lay out your spark plugs as they were removed?
Was there any color difference?
Is there any differance in ex. sound at idle when compaired to your friends Gl 1800? Or when riving to 4,ooo rpm? Or is the miss only under
load?
Was miss in bike when you bought it? If not when did it start?
Mice can fill an induction system with nest or what ever. galewing

Edited---Are you saying it misses (ONLY) in OD at high speed? RPM??
Thus you have run through the gears WOT and the miss is only
in OD? galewing

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it's ONLY at high speed as you say and does not break up going thru the gears at high rpm, look at something that speed affects. The speed sensor comes to mind.

It could be the rev limiter you are hitting because the bike "thinks" it's going faster than it really is. Since I don't know how the ECM is mapped this is just conjecture on my part, but something I would look into.

The fact that it does not break up thru the gears just about eliminates plugs, fuels, exhaust... etc. The engine has no idea how fast the bike is going.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Well, I'm going to go in a completely different direction that the rest of you guys. He's already dismissed the spark and or spark plugs by telling you that IT DOES NOT BREAK UP THROUGH THE GEARS.

I'm thinking bad cat or muffler/s

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Have you gone through the ECM reset procedure?

Here is what I do:
(Do not touch the throttle during this procedure)
Start the bike cold.
let it idle until the fans come on (this could take some time).
Turn OFF the ignition.
Restart the bike and check the idle speed is 700 +/- 70 rpm.
RIDE!

I don't know if this is the answer to your problem, but it is definitely something that needs to be done before you continue, if you haven't already done so.

I read on this board, (or Riders Rally), where some of the 2001 1800s had performance issues that never could be fixed no matter how many times the dealer worked on them. ... I've heard that the performance issues were eliminated on the '02 and newer Wings. My bike has all the recalls and service bulletins done ....
The only issue with the '01 Wing, that I can recall is SB#3 regarding the pulse rotor. Double check with your dealer to make sure this was done, or, perhaps you can look for a punch mark below the last digit of the engine serial number.

Also, SB#2 was an important one on the '01 Wing, but a failure with the kill switch probably wouldn't show up only in fifth gear.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts