GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal: Multiple times in the http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66785 thread, people asserted that the higher "center of gravity" of the K1200LT helped it to be more maneuverable and responsive in corners.

Do I have the correct impression on this?

Because here is what my idiot brain is telling me. If the center of mass of your bike is higher, then it will take more lever arm to move it into a bank. Once it goes into a bank, it will have a greater tendency to fall into that bank and will require more force to set it upright.

To me, the ideal motorcycle would have a very low center of mass, maximizing the lever arm such that steering inputs could most easily alter the bank angle in turns.

What am I missing here?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
left,

That's pretty much what I have been thinking all along. To me it has been almost like saying that "more weight makes it more nimble". :shock:

But, I'm not the trained professional that many of the other members of this board are. It's still good to know that at least one other person thinks the same screwed up way that I do! :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
There are many factors that determine the ease your bike rights itself after a turn, to include the width of your tires. If this is the "one" characteristic that shapes your decision, you shouldn't think so hard ... just ride them both and see. The bikes will also ride differently loaded.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The way I look at it, is Beer is cold, and the energy required to warm it to body temperature after ingestion makes up for the Simple Carbohydrate calories it adds to our diet. Drink Beer, loose weight!

All bets are off for Guinness, Barley Soup follows different rules.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
high center of gravity

Leftwinger trust your commonsense on this one. It doesn't matter whether it's a cycle, racecar, or a boat, etc. The higher your center of gravity is the worse your handling characteristics would be. If that bogus thread were true then riding 2up and loading down your trunk would improve the Wings handling. We know better. T.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Center of gravity and center of mass are different but related. Tallness as well as weight distribution are different on that bike and the lean angle is affected by those factors.
Go ride a GSXR750 and an RC51 back-2-back to see what I mean. The RC carries its weight a little lower and has a different angle on attack.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
One of the things that impressed me about my Silver Wing (come to think of it, it still does), is the fact that it seems so light - especially after manhandling a Gold Wing for four years. The fact that the tires are 13"-14" and the steering dynamics are very different, and the engine is low in the cradle probably all have something to do with that feel. Also, the fact the SWing is 500 lbs compared to the GWing's 881 lbs could be a factor. But to me, the SWing is "flickable" - something I would not characterize the GWing as, even with its relatively excellent handling characteristics.

While I dropped the GWing many times (all stopped drops with the exception of the little run-in with a pickup truck) I have never come close to dropping the SWing. I know, I know, its not if, but when. But so far, the primary reason for buying this particular bike has paid off - I can handle it much easier than the bigger Wing. Just wish it rode more like the GWing.

Mesquite Bob

·
Registered
696 Posts
higher or lower

who ever made the statement about higher center of gravity should have rode a 1300 kawasaki voyager great ,i had two but a bear handle

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
leftwinger said:
Okay, here's the deal: Multiple times in the http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66785 thread, people asserted that the higher "center of gravity" of the K1200LT helped it to be more maneuverable and responsive in corners.

What am I missing here?
This must be the post you are refering to;

"Once you got the LT going, it was a real hoot to rocket through the twisties because the center of gravity was up high, making it really easy to swap from left-right-left-right-etc. On the other hand, that high center of gravity made parking lot maneuvers really tough."

You must realise that, just because it was typed onto the internet, that doesn't make it true or correct.
He isn't even comparing it to anything. He just made this comment about his test ride.
There are many things that contribute to quick steering. Rake and trail have more to do with it than anything else. They can go a long way twards covering up a top heavy bike's feel in the turns.
You guys would be amazed at how many riders (experts, Safety course insructors, RACERS, weekend worriers, mechanics) don't know the first thing about setting up a suspension. Most wouldn't even know where to start. You guys on this board are very lucky to have so many knowledgable motorcycle enthusiasts here. You have access to more knowledge than most mechanics. The only problem is that you have to pick out the truth from the poop. I guarranty you that this guy probably believes what he said. No matter how wrong the statement was.
But if you make everything else equal. Low COG beats High COG every time. Period, period, period.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Leftwinger,, remember that its not so much that the LT has a higher center of gravity... It sits higher that the wing period... So when little people try to sit on it or back it in a parking spot it scary to them...

Find someone in your area that has an K1200LT that is about equal to you in talent for riding... Go find a nice twisty road that you both know, you follow him and see if you can keep up,, then have him follow you and see if he can keep up..They both are equal in acceleration and pretty close on top end so let the bikes do the talking...From my very limited experience and reading results of test riders the LT is better in the curves,, not by much but enough to measure the difference...

Both great bikes,,, Just remember that is why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream,,, not everyone likes vanilla...................Pete

·
Registered
634 Posts
Greetings, Mr. Peterson.

I find the lower cockpit of the Wing to be too small.

If you have rode both Wing and LT . . . (I have not)

would you advise which bike . . . in your opinion . . . a person with long legs would find most comfortable?

It would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ground clearance I will buy, easily. The BMW does not have the low appendages that the wing enjoys, you know, those things you hear grinding on the asphalt in Fuse's video of himself and YW scooting down the dragon at the speed of heat.

That is helped a little bit by going to a 70series rear tire, btw.

I was not in any way getting involved in the better/worse discussion of the BMW vs Goldwing thing, btw. I wouldn't expect the Wing to be able to handle the bank angle that the LT can sustain. And I have a friend who used to own one, btw. It was a marvelous motorcycle, but he did find it difficult and expensive to maintain, mostly because there is no local dealer and he had to take it down to LA to get it serviced.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
There are many things that contribute to a bikes feeling on the road.. COG has some effect, but it is eaqually rake, trail, tire size and suspension related.. Ride a GS, Ducatti MultiStrada or even a V-Strom... They are REALLY tall bikes that handle very much like a sport bike!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
hubert said:
Greetings, Mr. Peterson.

would you advise which bike . . . in your opinion . . . a person with long legs would find most comfortable?

Yes sir, having been on both as so many here have I find the seat height on the LT to be taller than the wing...Actual driver area about the same but my legs were a little more bent on the wing... I also prefer the handle bar position a little better on the LT

I have no problem what so ever backing up or turning around my LT,, I sit bent kneed on it just fine....

The ONLY thing i did on my Harley's that i do not do on my LT is walk it down the street in traffic,, with the LT I either sit still or wait and move some distance at a time...

Just remember,, the wing and LT are like chocolate and vanilla ice cream.................Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
leftwinger said:

Because here is what my idiot brain is telling me. If the center of mass of your bike is higher, then it will take more lever arm to move it into a bank. Once it goes into a bank, it will have a greater tendency to fall into that bank and will require more force to set it upright.

To me, the ideal motorcycle would have a very low center of mass, maximizing the lever arm such that steering inputs could most easily alter the bank angle in turns.

What am I missing here?
Not much.

The inline fours I rode for years were a pain in the butt and dangerous if you had to apply the brakes hard while leaned over in a turn. With their engine's high center of gravity they come up on you in such a situation and head right for the yellow line. Cross that line and there better not be any oncoming traffic in that opposite lane.

Contrary to that, the low engine in the Wing keeps the bike down when braked hard in a lean. It happened to me just a few weeks ago. I was out late one night on a lonely road going through a darkened, sleeping small town. I came to a sweeper and laid the bike over a bit only to have a cat run out of the darkness right in front of me. I hit the ABS brakes hard and the bike stayed down. All I had to do then was to bring her quickly up and scoot around the cat. On an inline four it would not have been so easy.

Please, no stories about how you drag your knee for 'feel' and would have thrown an inline four over the other way with 'countersteering.'

(Gawd, how I hate macho.)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Pete Peterson said:
hubert said:
Greetings, Mr. Peterson.

Yes sir, having been on both as so many here have I find the seat height on the LT to be taller than the wing...Actual driver area about the same but my legs were a little more bent on the wing... I also prefer the handle bar position a little better on the LT

I have no problem what so ever backing up or turning around my LT,, I sit bent kneed on it just fine....

The ONLY thing i did on my Harley's that i do not do on my LT is walk it down the street in traffic,, with the LT I either sit still or wait and move some distance at a time...

Just remember,, the wing and LT are like chocolate and vanilla ice cream.................Pete
Thanks!!! Your courtesy is appreciated.

You wrote:

Okay.

Well, both flavors are really good . . . ain't they? :lol:

Thanks again and you have a great evening BMW man!!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts