GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Highest mileage so far on a CT - or does it take 30k to wear one out?

I am a new CT rider and running a Dunlop ROF and so far have 1,400 miles on it since mid July. I love it! Questions have been asked about high mileage...:confused:

Just curious...:shrug: anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Unfortunately not the answer you want, but some will get less than 6k miles; some will get 40k miles. There is just no way to say. Some say you'll likely get 25% or more from a CT than what you got from a MT....that didn't work for me either, but then again I don't trust any MT on the back of the fat girl.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Jim, I removed a Bridgestone G019 NRF w/25k+ miles on it. It still had 3/32" to the wear bars, at least another 5-6K safe life left in it. As I've said mileage nor price are at the top of my personal reasons for a CT. To answer, again IMO, several factors determine mileage expectations, I don't believe there is a blanket answer. My riding style is somewhat reserved. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
First of all you need to remember if someone can wear a ct tire down in 6 thousand miles, he also wears down a mt at 6. Meaning that if you drive normal and some twisties and some long highway miles (which I am doing), you will get far greater mileage. I am now running my RF Kum. and at 8 thousand still looks brand new. I think alot determines if you run fast in the twisties or slower in the twisties and how many miles is straight. I am hoping to get 25,000 miles on mine. I will report sometime at the end of the year or early next year to see what i achieved. If you wear out any tire under 10,000 miles you are below normal on tire wear. Thats my 2 cents. I live in Texas and i have all sorts of terrain including miles and miles of strait highway out in west texas.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Last summer I replaced my wore out Goodyear Ultra grip, it had around 33,000 on it down to the wear bars. Now that Goodyear no longer makes that tire I went back to a Dunlop Winter Sport 3D Run Flat. Mostly riding flat roads down here in South Fl. with several trips to the mountains each year. The Dunlop has been a great tire as it was the very first one I tried back in Nov of 07.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The first Kumho KU31 went over 27,000 miles with about another 2,000 + but took off for #2 Kumho with a planned trip. It was mostly super slab, 2up and pulling a trailer. #2 just came off this Saturday with about 22,000. All but last 4-5000 was again the same set up as #1. The last 4-5000 was mostly 1 up and rode up and down the "Beartooth Hwy" with sprited riding. The twisties did wear on it more. Still I would say you will get more miles on a BMT under the same conditions than you can on a MT. But more important to me is not the mileage but the better ride, run-flat peace of mind, higher load rating and more rubber on the road at any given time. Now I have more smiles on a BMT then the Original D250 (8170 mile Note: still has 1/2 tread left) and the Metz880 (14500) and there will be no further MT on my unit, so I will not be able to compare any more MT to BMT's.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim, I removed a Bridgestone G019 NRF w/25k+ miles on it. It still had 3/32" to the wear bars, at least another 5-6K safe life left in it. As I've said mileage nor price are at the top of my personal reasons for a CT. To answer, again IMO, several factors determine mileage expectations, I don't believe there is a blanket answer. My riding style is somewhat reserved. YMMV.

Hey Roger - I don't know if you measured tread depth when you installed your Dunlop ROF - I did mine and it was 10/32" tread. The 'stone I took off had almost reached the wear bars at 10,900 miles.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The three Kumhos RFs I have ran, averaged 25k. The one on now is right at 25k and will have to be changed with another Kumho soon.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Goodyear Triple Tred... 41.5k miles... GREAT tire! too big for some bikes.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
I'm just about to take my dunny rof 3000 off 17,500 on it (gonna run around town until trip) then put on dunny 3d wintersport keep n eye on wear pattern i had 32 lbs in mine n center wear badly lowered to 28 fine then i will have to check air out in 3d love the tire

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have about 37K on a dunlop wintersport and it's still got plenty left. :cool:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Most can figure anywhere from 25-75% more miles than a motto tire, with the added benefits of no cupping and no delaminations.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The Tripletred is good for 45,000 + miles for me.....

Kurt

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Only got 12.5k miles out of my first Pirelli [email protected] Had a 1/32 left to the center wear bar when it came off. Other than disappearing tread depth, the tire was in great shape. First rear tire (3 MT before that) I ever pulled off the rear of my Wing in 57k miles without it being delaminated, mis-shaped, or otherwise severely cupped. :thumbup:

I replaced the Pirelli with the Kuhmo (K31) RF. The Kuhmo has a 340 tread rating to the 180 of the Pirelli so it'll be interesting to see what wear I get but I'm not complaining with how the Pirelli ran. I do like the Kuhmo ride/handling better.

Highest mileage so far on a CT - or does it take 30k to wear one out?

I am a new CT rider and running a Dunlop ROF and so far have 1,400 miles on it since mid July. I love it! Questions have been asked about high mileage...:confused:

Just curious...:shrug: anyone care to comment?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone - I will feel good if I get 20k out of this Dunlop Wintersport! :thumbup:

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
I replaced the Pirelli with the Kuhmo (K31) RF. The Kuhmo has a 340 tread rating to the 180 of the Pirelli so it'll be interesting to see what wear I get but I'm not complaining with how the Pirelli ran. I do like the Kuhmo ride/handling better.
For some reason, those wear numbers don't seem to apply laterally on Wings as they do cars. Travelin' runs a Kumho and I run a Pirelli and if we ride a lot togethe with our similar riding styles, we got almost the same mileage.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
For some reason, those wear numbers don't seem to apply laterally on Wings as they do cars. Travelin' runs a Kumho and I run a Pirelli and if we ride a lot togethe with our similar riding styles, we got almost the same mileage.
You know if you 2 would slow down just a tic you might get a little better milage LMAO. I am so happy to get between 8,000 and 10,000 :thumbup::thumbup: 30,000 will never happen unless I put it up on the centerstand and let it run for a month or so LMAO.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Hey JP, how ya doing buddy? Glad to see you posting. Yeah, I tried to slow down but Murgie just tied a chain to the front of my bike and drug me along;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts