GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...who has the highest trouble free miles on their Goldwing? And, who has the highest miles of all without an engine overhaul?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Can you say "engine overhaul" and "Goldwing" in the same same paragraph ??? :shrug:

Many failures with final drives, alternators, even transmissions ... but engines ???

My bike is a 2002 with 100,000 miles and the engine is almost broken in now ...:lol:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
My third wing , which was my first 1986 SEi just shy of 200,000.in a little over 3.5 years ,,Single no kids and had too much comp time to sit home on days off. Only problem with that one,,,at about 50,000 I had to bypass the coupling at the battery for charging.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I guess you need to define trouble free. Does a bad turn signal switch count as trouble.
I have 310,000 miles my 02 and my most expensive repair has been a new seat, but I do my own work.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess you need to define trouble free. Does a bad turn signal switch count as trouble.
I have 310,000 miles my 02 and my most expensive repair has been a new seat, but I do my own work.
Your right. If you can fix it yourself, that's fine. What I mean by trouble free is not having to take it to a dealership for the repair.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you say "engine overhaul" and "Goldwing" in the same same paragraph ??? :shrug:

Many failures with final drives, alternators, even transmissions ... but engines ???

My bike is a 2002 with 100,000 miles and the engine is almost broken in now ...:lol:
Didn't mean to offend...new to the Goldwing. I knew they were über reliable...just was curious to what extent. A lot of V-twins can run for decent while, but most will need a top end overhaul at some point.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Didn't mean to offend...new to the Goldwing. I knew they were über reliable...just was curious to what extent. A lot of V-twins can run for decent while, but most will need a top end overhaul at some point.
In this day, IMHO any engine that cannot run 100K without a rebuild or serious problem is junk, and there are some of our so-called great air cooled v-twins that generally will not make 100k. Barry

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My experice

Just curious...who has the highest trouble free miles on their Goldwing? And, who has the highest miles of all without an engine overhaul?
On my second Wing now. The first one was a 2004 I had for 9 1/2 years. I put ...

278,000 miles on it

- Alternator lasted until 175K
- Drive Shaft lasted until 203K
- Major Coolant Hoses lasted until 222K
- Front Forks lasted until 223K
- Water Pump lasted until 235K

Stuff fails but the engine isn't one of them.

I think when Cycledude reaches 500K we should frame his Wing and put it on a pedestal :)

Donnie

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Bummer. They just don't make seats like they used to.:lol:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
On my second Wing now. The first one was a 2004 I had for 9 1/2 years. I put ...

278,000 miles on it

- Alternator lasted until 175K
- Drive Shaft lasted until 203K
- Major Coolant Hoses lasted until 222K
- Front Forks lasted until 223K
- Water Pump lasted until 235K

Stuff fails but the engine isn't one of them.

I think when Cycledude reaches 500K we should frame his Wing and put it on a pedestal :)

Donnie
And what is Cycledude supposed to do for the next half a million miles?:shrug:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts