GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another thread, in reply to a musing about a Highway 191 BtoB Texas T said:

"When are you thinking about doing this? Sounds interesting. But...

With my limited vacation time I have to be pretty careful on how I divvy it up. Right now I'm planning next year's vaca... probably mid-late August. A blitz ride up NV, ID, OR, WA, pick up Brenda at the Spokane airport, then do Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and then blitz back home.

Your 191 B2B looks to be 1750 miles. Google says 1 day, 9 hours. I don't know if they run on a 24 hour driving clock but I would assume so. I would think that if it could be done in 48 hours Kneebone and Company might consider creating a new cert. Are you aware of anyone else that's done it? You might want to drop a note to Ira and see what he thinks about it.

Fri - work half-day and then ride to MX border, sleep. Sat AM - cross the border, get receipt. Mon AM - arrive in CA, get receipt. Sleep all Monday. Tue AM - depart for home. Fri PM (taking my time) - arrive home. Sat/Sun - recuperate. Mon - back to work. If I hustled, I could get my WA, OR, ID states on the way back and I wouldn't have to do it in such a hurry next year. Hmmmm.... But that would still kill the last of my vacation and then I'm dry until next July. (I need to win the Lotto)

36 hours "might" be possible but you'd really have to wick it up beyond the limit in a lot of sections to make up for the slow sections. I think that would turn out to be counter-productive at some point..."

My first thought is to do it during the second week of August, that way I could return through Sturgis but anytime next summer would be fine. I don't think I want to do it on the clock, that would require night riding and part of the reasoning for the ride would be to celebrate the beauty and diversity of Highway 191. Anyway, something to think about.

You are correct, it would be a tough Certified ride in 36 hours. A couple of weeks ago I rode several hundred miles of 191 not including the part through Arizona and rode it hard and my block average was just under 55 mph and you would need a block of 49 mph to ride it in 36.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've posted this up on the LDRider list and on the IBA Q&A forum. So far no one has come forward to say they've ridden the entire route. Most agree that 36 hours is not possible but 48 is.

Marc did caution about riding through the rez at night and that would lower the average speed as well.

Even though you say you don't want to ride it for the cert, you could still talk to Ira about making it a cert ride and go for it on the northbound run and then enjoy the scenery on the return ride.

Also, I just remembered that Brenda will be going to NY in the middle of Sept so that opens up a free week for me but I doubt that I could get a new passport in time (can't find the old one).

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've posted this up on the LDRider list and on the IBA Q&A forum. So far no one has come forward to say they've ridden the entire route. Most agree that 36 hours is not possible but 48 is.

Marc did caution about riding through the rez at night and that would lower the average speed as well.

Even though you say you don't want to ride it for the cert, you could still talk to Ira about making it a cert ride and go for it on the northbound run and then enjoy the scenery on the return ride.

Also, I just remembered that Brenda will be going to NY in the middle of Sept so that opens up a free week for me but I doubt that I could get a new passport in time (can't find the old one).
I'll run it by Ira and see if and what kind of ride it could be. US 191 is a interesting road in the landscape it runs through. It would make a really nice "themed" coffee table photo book or a photo essay but that would take several years to complete and I have a hard time slowing enough to take a single photo anymore.

I would not be able to go in Sept.....vacation is already scheduled and the CinC would do unmentionable things to my anatomy if I took off on a bike.

BTW, what has happened to our country when you need a passport to step foot in Mexico or Canada.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
that would be an awesome ride...
...great route if the weather gods cooperate.

I've done east-west 1800 miles in 39 hours...
...but almost 600 of that was across west Texas which really helps..
... don't know how you'd do it from North to South,
but I look forward to your attempt.

Dennis

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Route info here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_191

Google uses travel hours...

33 hours? Having to deal with the segment of Yellostone NP??
:shock:

Thanks Ken,

As you have, I've been over too much of 191 to believe 33 hours, that would require almost 55 mph block speed to complete. Yes there is a good portion where you can run at interesting speeds but there are also big chunks of serious mountain road and a few parks to ride through.

I've been thinking about this one for awhile, doubt I will do it on the clock, too many things to see and no way to connect 'em all during only the day portion.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that would be an awesome ride...
...great route if the weather gods cooperate.

I've done east-west 1800 miles in 39 hours...
...but almost 600 of that was across west Texas which really helps..
... don't know how you'd do it from North to South,
but I look forward to your attempt.

Dennis
I love theme rides i.e. 50CC, RAT or RTEs. Something about crossing the US on a single road appeals but as posted earlier, I don't think this one needs to be a Certified Ride.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I'll run it by Ira and see if and what kind of ride it could be.
:thumbup:

Several responses on the LDRider list but only a couple of nods on the IBA forum. So far, no one has stepped up to say they have ridden the whole thing but a couple are interested in doing so now that you have suggested it.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:thumbup:

Several responses on the LDRider list but only a couple of nods on the IBA forum. So far, no one has stepped up to say they have ridden the whole thing but a couple are interested in doing so now that you have suggested it.
I would think about doing it as an IBA Ride if given 48 hours to finish. Figure Douglas, AZ to Vernal, UT is 900 miles. You would have to leave Douglas around 0300 so as to arrive Clifton, AZ just at daybreak. From there you would have 14-15 hours of daylight to make Vernal. Shut 'er down in Vernal because you definitely want to ride Flaming Gorge during the day. Out at daybreak, because of DST around 0500, and you will need to cover about 800 miles before dark. Doable but one hell of a ride.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to add, to do it mostly in daylight you would need to plan of doing it around June 21st.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Hmmm.... thought I had posted a reply today, but it ain't there so I guess I didn't hit the clicky thing properly.

Oh well.

Bubba, the IBA is having their Denver meet around Aug 15-19. What would you think about riding this B2B, then dropping down to the IBA meet to personally turn in our paperwork? That would put a dent in your plans to meet your friends at Sturgis though.

Have you gotten a response from Ira about this ride?

I think this might be tougher than it appears. There are going to be a lot of small towns with a lot of low speed limits, and like Marc said, a lot of free range critters along the way.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm.... thought I had posted a reply today, but it ain't there so I guess I didn't hit the clicky thing properly.

Oh well.

Bubba, the IBA is having their Denver meet around Aug 15-19. What would you think about riding this B2B, then dropping down to the IBA meet to personally turn in our paperwork? That would put a dent in your plans to meet your friends at Sturgis though.

Have you gotten a response from Ira about this ride?

I think this might be tougher than it appears. There are going to be a lot of small towns with a lot of low speed limits, and like Marc said, a lot of free range critters along the way.
Brian,

I haven't done much about the 191 BtoB, I'm in the short rows on the kitchen re-do and it has been all consuming, figure once finished I'll get my life back and see if the IBA will approve some form of the ride.

I had thought of doing it on the summer solstice just for the extra daylight but the August dates would work, only a few minutes difference of light not enough to notice.

It is a ride that would be fun to do with other riders and I had the Denver meet penciled in anyway. Could be a plan.

BTW congrats on your BB.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ok. Let me know what you find out from the IBA. I have the Denver meet penciled in as well, but in my world that could change in a heartbeat.

I need to file for a lost passport as I don't know where mine went. Is the Douglas border crossing open 24/7? Same question for the one up top in the Great White North.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok. Let me know what you find out from the IBA. I have the Denver meet penciled in as well, but in my world that could change in a heartbeat.

I need to file for a lost passport as I don't know where mine went. Is the Douglas border crossing open 24/7? Same question for the one up top in the Great White North.
What a pain, UPS lost my passport several years ago. The reason UPS had the passport to begin with was I needed a quick Visa into The Sudan and at that time the only way to get a Sudan Visa is at the Sudanese Embassy in D.C. Long story some what short: We had a C-206 that was used as a parts shuttle, I used it to fly to Seattle for a "while you wait" replacement passport. Then back to McMinnville to catch the shuttle to Portland for a redeye to D.C.. A cab ride from Dulles to the Sudanese Embassy, they were late opening so I spent a couple of hours on their porch waiting, with Visa in hand I hailed another cab back to Dulles and caught the next Lufthansa flight to Hamburg. By the time I boarded I had been on the go for slightly more than 48 hours, I looked and smelled about like I did finishing a 50CC, not too sure the others in First Class appreciated me.

Hope your passport replacement is easier :).

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Last years 3 flags classic ran down 191 also called the Devils Highway. It's a narrow twisty 130 mile section of road with poor pavement. Won't make good time on it.

·
1,448 Posts
Oops, should have identified the section of 191 as being from Springerville to Three Way. Both in Arizona.

·
1,448 Posts
Brian, know what you mean, we have a lot of roads like the Devils Highway here on the Northen California coast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts