GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2008 Goldwing and am 6'2" tall with 32" inseam. Would like recomendations for best highway pegs for someone like myself.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have 2008 Goldwing and am 6'2" tall with 32" inseam. Would like recomendations for best highway pegs for someone like myself.

I personally like the Mick-o-pegs but you will need to be the judge. I tried the Kury's with 4" arm and 6" arms and never got comfortable.

Mr. Comfortable (ddking) himself has some good reading here

http://208.43.95.107/forums/showthread.php?t=197065

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
When trying to choose the type of highway peg you want, it's all going to depend on where you want your feet. Kurys or any static peg must be positioned higher than the horizontal engine guard or they will drag in the corners and could upend your bike if you are forced to lean over far enough. As long as you want your feet positioned that high, you'll be fine, plus you can get them installed at the dealer.

There are a couple of board members who have ground some of the teeth off of the Kury 4056 peg mounts that allow them to position them low and raise them up with toes before entering twisties. That's too much work for someone as lazy as I am. Read about it here:

Kury Mount Mod

There is a "DIY" peg you can make that will be slightly lower than Kurys but still at the horizontal bar height. You can find it here:

DIY Peg

If you want your feet to be positioned lower, Mick-O-Pegs is the easiest way to accomplish this. They are spring loaded and when you take your feet off of them for the twisties, they spring up and are safely out of the way. There are 13 or so models from which to choose depending on your inseam and desired foot position. Dealers do not carry these. Check them out here:

Mick-O-Pegs

Having worked with riders fitting them to pegs, I have to say what works for one may not work for another. Not only are things dependent on your inseam, but also on your weight and its placement. A large butt will put one further forward in the seat making it necessary to spread your knees further apart to get around the fairing. Thick legs can cause the same problems. Also, being bow-legged or having knocked-knees will make a difference.

The only sure way to know if a peg works for you is to try it out. If you can't try a set out on someone's 1800, find out what the company's return policy is before purchasing.

If you decide on MOPs, I'll be glad to help you choose the correct model. Let me know.

2,732 Posts
Kury's

I have expermented with the 6", the 4" and now the Kury Mini-arms. I really like the Kury Mini-arms, they allow a great deal of adjustment forward and backward and position my feet just right for long term comfortable riding on those 500 to 1,000 mile days. I worry, as others do, with grounding out in the Canyon curves and sweepers so have mine adjusted just a notch above horizontal. They work well for me. I have a 32" inseam, as you do. I like the looks of them much better than the Mick-O-Pegs which I think look "unusual" on a bike, but everyone has their own opinion on that.

If I'm going to do some high speed canyon carving, I will flip them up out of the way so they do not interfer with extreme cornering. But I always know when that is going to be the way I am going to ride the canyon so I don't get caught with them grounding out.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I am 6'5" tall and my choice is the Mick-o-pegs. Extremely comfortable for me and I have never drug them in the corners.

JMHO

·
Registered
736 Posts
Same size as you and really never liked the Mick-O-Pegs, the others mentioned I never tried though.

What I found out what worked the best for me was having a custom seat built by Russell Seat. The seat put me in the perfect position and I had no needs for any type of highway pegs.

John

·
Registered
679 Posts
Kury Iso II with mini-arms.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Highway Pegs

If you'll be at Bike Week, look for us at the airport in New Smyna Beach. We'll also be at the FL Dist Rally in Kissimmee a week later, followed by Marshall TX for Region H Rally - which will be two months from now.

Most tall riders choose Model KA, but as was said earlier, much depends on YOU.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I have a setup from Big Bike Parts that resembles KURY IsoPegs I like them. It took way too much experimenting to get the right combination. I can't get past having my feet inside a rail on a motorcycle the way Mike-O-pegs are. That is just me and as a result never tried them nor really care to.
One thing about wings, DO NOT put the peg mounts in the same place on the engine guards and expect them to be even. Take a few seconds and measure from the footpegs to even them out. One more thing and with 32" inseam it may not make a difference, be carefull that you don't have to reach around the lower fairing to get to the pegs. Very uncomfortable.
Good Luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Rivco flat-foot highway pegs for me. Triple chrome plated aluminum and mount on the vertical bars, so you have more legroom and they definitely aren't going to drag in the turns. Found mine at Wingstuff.com last year. I'd highly recommend them over anything Kury has to offer (I tried both).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I can't get past having my feet inside a rail on a motorcycle the way Mike-O-pegs are.
You are not alone with this impression, and there are many MOP users who feel the same way, including myself. We use one of the models which have the pegs on the outside. Often a person will only see a set or try out another rider's set and not realize how many different ways there are for MOPs to get you comfortable.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Highway pegs

I use the Kury Ergo II because I sometimes press down on the pegs and lift my rear up to get air under me. I am afraid the MOP and the ones that mount on the vertical bar would slip or bend. Just my way of thinking

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
If you get a chance, sit or ride a bike with the Mick-O-Pegs. I have only sit on a bike with them as I just installed mine yesterday.

If your interested, I have a complete Kury set I might be parting with. I haven't decided yet if I am going to try and install the Kury's on my Shadow.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I never saw thes on their web sit. I am not very computer savy though, and I don't think their site is too friendly to people like me. Not criticizing, just hard for me to find very much on. I might have tried a pair if I would have seen them.

Here is a picture of my Mic O pegs. Great addition to my bike

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I never saw these on their web sit. I am not very computer savy though, and I don't think their site is too friendly to people like me. Not criticizing, just hard for me to find very much on. I might have tried a pair if I would have seen them.
Again, you're not the only one.:lol: It took me quite a while to figure it out. Turk has the HS version of one of the K models on which he has mounted a Kury peg. We don't show that on the site because we don't sell the Kury pegs.

[BTW, Turk. I might steal that picture.:thumbup:]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts