GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  • I'm 6'4" and in need of a pair of highway pegs. What brand did you buy and why did you choose that brand and model? Are you satisfied with your decision? I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Rivco that mount to the cylinder covers. Not crazy about them, especially for the price. Wish I had waited. See some other options out there I think I might like better. 5-11, 32 inseam.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
They each have unique characteristics

Rivco Aero-nice sturdy install, awkward angle
Goldstrike- preferred a higher mount
But comfortable

still deciding on what to buy next.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They each have unique characteristics

Rivco Aero-nice sturdy install, awkward angle
Goldstrike- preferred a higher mount
But comfortable

still deciding on what to buy next.
Thanks. Sounds like you've tried a couple brands but one is too low and the other has an odd angle.
Did the Goldstrike pegs scrape?

·
Registered
421 Posts
  • I'm 6'4" and in need of a pair of highway pegs. What brand did you buy and why did you choose that brand and model? Are you satisfied with your decision? I appreciate your input.
Like you I'm taller. Had Mick-O-Pegs on my F6B and really liked them. Installed Mick-O-Pegs on my 2018 DCT and they did not work for me in the stock form for the reasons I describe.

After significant modifications they now work great for me. Unfortunately for us tall guys MOP has no intentions to make a modified product for those of us with longer inseams.

Another Mick-O-Peg install:

·
Registered
976 Posts
I went with Goldstrike because they tuck inconspicuously out of the way when not needed. They give adequate relief as a change of position. They will scrape if you get too aggressive in turns. I have never seen any that won't. you need to accept that you will not deploy them when you are in the twisties. They can, however, handle leans in moderate curves.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like you I'm taller. Had Mick-O-Pegs on my F6B and really liked them. Installed Mick-O-Pegs on my 2018 DCT and they did not work for me in the stock form for the reasons I describe.

After significant modifications they now work great for me. Unfortunately for us tall guys MOP has no intentions to make a modified product for those of us with longer inseams.

Another Mick-O-Peg install:
Great information. And unfortunately for us, this world isn't made for anyone over 5'10"
Did the Honda deflectors protect you from the radiator heat?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went with Goldstrike because they tuck inconspicuously out of the way when not needed. They give adequate relief as a change of position. They will scrape if you get too aggressive in turns. I have never seen any that won't. you need to accept that you will not deploy them when you are in the twisties. They can, however, handle leans in moderate curves.
How tall are you and are you and can you stretch out your legs to where they're not bent as though they were still on the bike's pegs?

Sounds like these scrape only if they're extended. I ride a lot of curvy mountain roads here in Idaho and other states in the Great NW..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I too have a 34" inseam. Initially I went with the GoldStrike Highway Pegs but didn't care for them. So I went with the Black Beachcomber Highway boards. I like this set up because the boards can be angled to suit my comfort level, are positioned at a comfortable distance (at least for me they are), and are close enough to the engine that I don't have any lean issues. I will admit that this set up will probably not work for those with an inseam shorter than 32

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too have a 34" inseam. Initially I went with the GoldStrike Highway Pegs but didn't care for them. So I went with the Black Beachcomber Highway boards. I like this set up because the boards can be angled to suit my comfort level, are positioned at a comfortable distance (at least for me they are), and are close enough to the engine that I don't have any lean issues. I will admit that this set up will probably not work for those with an inseam shorter than 32
What did you not like about the Goldstrike pegs?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Did the Honda deflectors protect you from the radiator heat?
In my case with Mick-O-Pegs the Honda Lower Wind Deflectors did eliminate the issue with hot radiator exhaust being funneled into the cockpit area with my feet placed on the MOP's.

Problem with most of the other highway peg options for us tall guys is the pegs are located relatively high in order to provide cornering clearance.The result being your knees are placed relatively high and you end up sitting on your tailbone.

I see where Gene indicated in the twisties his Goldstrike pegs need to be up to provide cornering clearance. That would be an issue for me riding out in Sturgis. At least with my MOP's I can get my feet out every once in a while on short straight surfaces.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The fact that the hardware bolts into the engine, the flex in the adjustable arms, and seating position - legs spread too far for my liking.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my case with Mick-O-Pegs the Honda Lower Wind Deflectors did eliminate the issue with hot radiator exhaust being funneled into the cockpit area with my feet placed on the MOP's.

Problem with most of the other highway peg options for us tall guys is the pegs are located relatively high in order to provide cornering clearance.The result being your knees are placed relatively high and you end up sitting on your tailbone.

I see where Gene indicated in the twisties his Goldstrike pegs need to be up to provide cornering clearance. That would be an issue for me riding out in Sturgis. At least with my MOP's I can get my feet out every once in a while on short straight surfaces.
That is true. What you say makes sense. I read your article and looked at the pics. I like the way the Mic O Pegs allow you to stretch your legs almost straight down. Just not keen about installing the wind deflectors. But they will only help and not hurt.

P.S. if your tired of racing up to Rushmore, you should come to Idaho or western Montana and see some real mountains with twisty curves. Beartooth Pass in Montana is a good example.?

Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts