GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2008 ABS wing. I bought Kury highway pegs, 4056KU with the bike. I talked to a friend of mine who has had Gold Wings for many years. He said he had highway pegs but made ground contact with them while making a turn and it caused him enough concern that he took the pegs off. He recommends that I not install the pegs for that reason: reduced ground clearance on turns. I have not installed the pegs and can probably sell them but I would like some feedback here about this issue. Is there a safety problem with these pegs in terms of reduced ground clearance? I had highway pegs on my HD FatBoy and really liked them. If there is no safety issue then I would like to have them on my new Wing.

Ken

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I do not have those particular pegs but I drag mine on occasion when turning tight such as in a parking lot. They just fold up. I have never dragged them on the road. I have never felt that there was a safety issue but I have never really leaned over that far to find out. I suppose you could over do it.

If they fold or collapse when they strike the ground, that is a good thing. If they dig in, I would imagine that you will be going on Mister Toads Wild Ride.

I would think that your comfort level is going to be different than everyone else. In the end; you are going to have to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have the same pegs but I have them mounted so other hard parts will touch first. Lay your bike on its side and adjust them for safe clearance.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
My first concern about pegs was limiting the lean angle.

I talked with DDking (Dan Duffy) on this forum and he fixed me up with some gf-hs Mick O Pegs. I mounted them as high as could go on the vertical engine bar. You'll lift the front wheel off the ground with the engine guards be these will hit. I am 6-2 with a 34" inseam.

The MOPs are great and now the custom seat is on the back burner.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
My Kury's drug but I didn't see it as a safety problem...just a $$$ problem should you want to get rid of the scratches (replacement).

By the way, I replaced my Kury's with a model of Mick-O-Pegs that I know will drag (not the vertical mounts) like crazy, but I knew that when I mounted them. I normally won't enter a turn with my feet on highways pegs of any brand.

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I have my Kury pegs mounted pretty high up on the crash bar. I have leaned her over pretty hard and never touched the pegs! Lay a sheet of plywood under the bike and tilt it up to see what is the first item to 'touch down.' If you mount the pegs high enough, you will probably scrape the mirrors before the pegs! LOL! I can't imagine a long trip without them! :thumbup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kury Pegs

I have tried the 4" arms and had to go with the mini's. Be sure to measure from the factory peg forward because the engine guard has a stagger due to the horizontially opposed engine. You can also adjust the angle using the two inside Allen head cap screws. I have mine set at 15 1/2 " forward of the factory foot pegs and 16" off the ground measured to the center of the peg. Hope this helps. I've never dragged a peg but have dragged the heal of my boot.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have Kury Ergo II pegs mounted on the horizontal bar. At first I had them adjusted slightly below the line of the bar. Never had a problem until I swerved to miss an errant cager one day and grounded the left side but good. I then read about riders lifting the front wheel and losing control when grounding pegs. I adjusted them so the attachment is still on the horizontal bar, but the pegs are significantly higher than the bar. When laid on the crash bars, the foot and highway pegs fold.

I still periodically will grind a foot peg on turns or in the mountains, but am not a very aggressive rider. If I ground a crash bar in a turn or curve, I will probably take the pegs off. I wanted to go to MOPs, but not because of the grinding. The MOPs are great for comfort.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Regardless of how you mount the angle of the pegs, if they are mounted on the bottom of the bars, they will drag and can dig in.

I solved the issue by using Rivco pegs that mount on the vertical bar at the front. If they scrape, you are alread on the ground.

If you look very closely, you can see them in the signature photo.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mick-O-Pegs get my legs stretched out!! :bow::bow:

I like the fact that when you take your feet off, they spring up and out of the way.

Trey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts