GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Testing my new camera out in the Hill Country. I have tried different position on bike and this one seems to be the best. Nice camera, output I think is very good just that my laptop is too slow to handle replay. Runs excellent in my iPad but not able to edit in iMovie. This seems not to be the problem with my other cameras. Still learning, maybe more software will catch up with technology. Any way enjoy. It was a nice day last Sunday 08/14 and it didn't even break a 100.

Also still learning how to post video. would like to see it on not link it.

http://youtu.be/KTGR9F4CMJ4?t=2s

http://youtu.be/KTGR9F4CMJ4?t=2s

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Nice image.. Just bought one myself; I'm looking forward to trying it out..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the ContourGps model. Got a good deal off of EBay. I think it was around 265.00 brand new...shipping included.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
The Contour camera does a very nice job. I still prefer mounting a video camera out from behind the windshield. To me there is too much reflection, glare, distortion when taking video through the plastic wind screen (JMO). I have my GoPro mounted to the right of the left mirror with Scott's (FIRE UP) windshield mount. To me that puts the camera in just the right location that is not too high or too low and just to the left of the bike's centerline.

Of course the trade off is that you have to be a lot more careful about checking the lens for bug splats (isn't there always a trade off?).

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking your camera or video. Great job! :yes1:

I sure miss riding the Texas Hill Country!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a Ram mount. I'll post picture later tonight.

I tried several different positions. Once on the dash, and once on the luggage rack. At these locations I had too much vibrations. The ones with less vibrations where located on the handle bar and the left rear crash bar. Both are easy to reach and turn on when needed.

Wingleader if you can I would like to see how you mount yours.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Wingleader if you can, I would like to see how you mount yours.
SMC,
I have tried various RAM mounts and while they work OK, I have found this mount made by FIRE UP (Scott), a member of this board to be the best one for me. I believe it is specifically made for the GoPro camera, but it may be adapted to the Countour. You'd have to check with Scott on that. A picture of the mount is below. As you can see, it clamps to the windshield and the mounting shoe is attached via double sided tape. The camera housing snaps in securely. I can easily reach around the windshield and push the "Record" button on top of the camera to start/stop recording.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using the Ram Mount with a long extension. I do have a short but the long gets it closer to the windshield.

IMG_1000000668.jpg

IMG_1000000670.jpg

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Here ya go SMC... nice vid!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Here ya go SMC:

Part 1

Part 2

Let me know if those explanations don't work for you... and I'll help you out some more. :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I like the way you can see behind you in the side mirror, pretty cool.
I need to go back to the 3-3's:thumbup:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Bob, I'll play with it tonight.

I also like the mirror effect, it is kind of cool

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New software..it seems to run Contour A-OK

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Output is .mov but if you can rename .mov to .mp4. this is what i have read on the Contour forum. I couldn't find any software to edit. I tried on my PC, HandBrake, QuickTime Pro. My laptop was just old (6-yrs) and too slow (kind like I'm getting). So yesterday I broke down and bought the new iMac. Very very pleased with the editing software, but its just like learning how to use a computer again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts