GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the pleasure of spending the last few days in the hill country, so I wanted to give everyone an update on some conditions and my impressions. My intention was to ride the 3 sisters and surrounding roads in an aggressive fashion. It's been several years since my last ride here.

I started in Kerrville and took 16 to Medina and then 337 west. This is a fun road and the climb up the mountain from Vanderpool and down towards leakey was just a prelude of what was to come. I stopped in Leakey for water, since the temp was climbing toward 102 and then continued on 337 over to Camp Wood.

From there I went north up 335. This road is nothing short of a roller coaster and it's up and down, with dips and turns. It's just a blast to ride and the big girl has no problem handling this road in top gear, since it has plenty of torque, but drop down a gear and you can power through the low turns.

I only saw a few deer roadkill, but lots of turkeys by the side of the road, often getting startled and flying across the road in front of me. There was no one else on the road and I had it to myself, so I got to push it hard the entire way.

At the north end of the road I went east on 41 to get over to 336. The last time I rode 336 was in 2005 on my sabre 1100. This time with the power of the gl1800 at my fingertips, I was feeling pretty cocky after 335, until I saw the sign announcing the number of people killed on 336 on motorcycles. That got my attention and I was glad I took notice, because this is a very challenging road to ride. They have added lots of markers to indicate dangerous turns and you need to be paying attention. Theres lots of cattle crossings and I saw 2 cattle standing by the side of the road in the trees. Since there are no fences along the northern section, cattle standing near or in the road could be a fatal encounter. To me this section of road is the most difficult to ride really well. I was tired at the end of 336 and stopped in leakey again to rest up.

From there I headed north on 83, up towards Hunt and back towards Kerrville. There's lots of places you cross the Guadalupe river and it's very scenic driving along it.

I basically had the roads to myself today and when I stopped to get water it was often 10 minutes or so before I even saw another car (I only saw 4-5 bikes the entire day). If you can, I suggest riding these roads during the week, with less traffic. Be aware of the heat, but with the wind blowing almost constant today, it was not unbearable and sometimes even quite pleasant standing alongside the river in the shade.

There are more roads to ride tomorrow and I plan to do the southern route to Bandera over to Utopia and then swing west and north up to Rock Springs.

Right now it's now time for a cold one and also time to reflect how wonderful the wing is as a responsive / incredibly powerful machine. :thumbup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like you had a fine ride. :congrats:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most of the time we ride the sisters 337 west to Camp Wood then north on 335 south on 336 last time we rode 336 north then 335 south and then back out on 337 to Vanderpool up to Hunt and Kerrville. It was a new look and as always fun on a Wing!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Great route. Every part of the route has its own challenges and that's why it's so well regarded by riders.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm jealous except for the heat. Those are some great roads and scenery. Never had the Wing out there but I've riden my Triumph Rocket and Speed Four out there and had a blast. Can't wait till the fall, it's 101 degrees on my shaded front porch at 7:00 pm....Stay cool as you can.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for the report. I always enjoy those roads out there and it has been way too long. Don't forget to drop in Medina's Loves Apple Orchard.
I've ridden that area on a 2001 Suzuki 1500 Intruder, a 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, and a 2007 Gl 1800. One of those bikes was a good time, the other two were just flat out AWESOME :lol::lol: .

·
Registered
957 Posts
great riding in that area , i stay in medina an spend two or 3 days at a time in the area . ive made about 4 trips to the area this year . looking at riding farther south of banderia an vanderpool area next trip . havent rode those roads yet .

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I'm planning on being out there in November and looking forward to it! Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a map of some of the roads in the hill country :thumbup:

I stayed a few nights in Fredericksburg and was quite surprised at the number of things to see there. There's a huge amount of shops there and if your SO likes to visit the antique /artsy stuff it's a dream come true. I actually liked most of it as well. They have something for everyone, so pecans, ice cream (sorry no DQ on Main street), general store, salsa, german food and beef jerky are all available. The beer gardens have ice cold mugs and local bands that make it worth the stroll.
Downtown is definitely set up for tourists and although things are a little on the more expensive side, there's lots of interesting places to explore.

If it's a burger you crave, the alamo springs cafe is a short drive. It's off the beaten path, but it's one of the best burgers I've had. Big, juicy with a sauce that slightly sweet made on a grill that captures all the flavor of good beef you won't be disappointed. Add a half order of onion rings (enough for one person) and I'm in heaven. The beer was steep at $3.50, but the burger makes you forget that.
There's something about the hill country that's just more laid back and less pretentious than elsewhere. Hanging out to watch the bats exit the tunnel after having a great burger is a good time.

The museum of the Pacific War was great. The ticket is good for 2 days and you'll need it to get through it all. After 4 hours I looked at my clock and realized I was only half way through. Lots of artillery, tanks, planes and information for a history buff like me. It takes up an entire city block and there's the re-enactment area down the street as well....

There are vineyards to wine taste and they're surprisingly good.

All in all it was a lot more that I ever thought would be in "laid back" fredericksburg.

In the past I've used Bandera as a base for the hill country, but fredericksburg offers a lot.
The good roads are just 30 minutes away and there's lots of good places in town to see and eat.
Yup, I'll be returning for sure.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Fredericksburg I go to does have a Dairy Queen on Main Street.
well go figure....I never saw it, but I guess I'm not all that surprised!:lol:

·
Registered
957 Posts
another nice road to ride in fredricksburg area is willow city loop . its not a long road bout 13 miles long , off of highway 16 between fredricksburg an llano . paved , no fences in a lot of it , crossing cattlegaurds in a lot places along the road . couple of biker bars on the road also , if interested in taking a riding break an having a cold one .

·
Registered
556 Posts
willow city loop is one of my favorites! we take it real slow and look for wildlife (the four legged kind) my wife loves to take pics when we find deer or turkey or whatever pops out.
Sun mornings are the best

·
Registered
507 Posts
Back in the day when it used to rain in parts of Texas, the Willow City Loop was a good place to check out the wildflowers, too.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Yeah, "back in the day"!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts