GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 18 Tour (manual) just rolled over 2k miles yesterday when the - apparently common - HSA light problem occurred. Lots of searching here makes it obvious one or more of the switches are likely to blame. Restarted the bike on my trip, flashing didn't go away.

Got up this morning, no flashing light. Rode a few times and the light hasn't come back. Called the dealer to see how they'd deal with it. Told me it could be a loose connector, maybe loose battery cable. Seriously?

Regardless, if I dropped the bike off they'd keep it 4 weeks before they could tell me. Seriously! The rep said to ride until first service, and at my rate, that'll be 2-4 weeks from now. So I said ok, let's schedule it. He said well, we're booked until early July! I'm in Colorado Springs, not exactly a small town...

So, is he right? Just keep riding even when flash comes on? I'll obviously be doing the first service myself (just an oil change anyway).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine started failing the day I bought my bike riding it home. I took it back to the dealer twice and it would never fail in front of the SM or a tech. Called the worthless boneheads in Torrance. They kept insisting a tech has to witness the failure. And or take it to another dealer. Even with a video the regional service manager or whatever his worthless title is with Honda would not authorize the warranty claim and see to it the part got to my dealer and the issue was taken care of. And on top of the HSA failing it would automatically drag the rear brake when ever it wanted. I was and still am very perplexed that this failure would not show up as a error within Hondas code system and prove the error and impending failure. After two months the HSA system completely failed. Tech saw the HSA show the failure and HSA would not work at all. At that point they kept my bike for a week, got the part installed. But Honda nor the dealer would put new rear brake pads in because Hondas failing system would drag the rear brake. So I sprung for EBC rear pads and put them in myself. I am still very upset with how Honda handled this issue even after a video was made showing a failure that they darn well know about. To be fair my dealer got burned because Honda shipped a bunch of Talons with a faulty part that Honda was not proactive on and the dealer went ahead and fixed all there customers Talons and all their stock. Then since mother Honda did not pre authorize the repairs they did not take care of the dealer like they should have. So Honda can !iss off. I went through this with the last three new Honda cars I bought and now there Halo bike.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
The Hill start assist I am familiar with are on Beemer and this feature is pretty handy.

On this Wing the Hill Start Assist is a joke. I can't actually believe and engineer designer of motorcycle create this ridiculous feature on this bike. As I said before: it doesn't even give you enough time to scratch the pelotas,...let along pull them out from under your arses after a quick stop for an uphill yellow light

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Replacing the clutch, cruise control, front and rear brake switches was how Honda fixed the HSA flashing light with my bike...after 9500 miles since the fix the light has flashed again on three different rides lately...I shut off the bike and restarted and all was fine the rest of the ride. The last 5 rides I have had no issue.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
The Hill start assist I am familiar with are on Beemer and this feature is pretty handy.

On this Wing the Hill Start Assist is a joke. I can't actually believe and engineer designer of motorcycle create this ridiculous feature on this bike. As I said before: it doesn't even give you enough time to scratch the pelotas,...let along pull them out from under your arses after a quick stop for an uphill yellow light
On the 6-speed you have to be in gear with the clutch pulled in to activate the HSA...so no you cant do anything except concentrate on pulling off while on the hill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Makes no sense, when I picked up the bike it's one of the first features I tried. Kept holding then nothing, re-engage, then nothing at a long light. Then I read the manual........Stupid 3 second rule. Why? In a car you can sit there all day.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
Makes no sense, when I picked up the bike it's one of the first features I tried. Kept holding then nothing, re-engage, then nothing at a long light. Then I read the manual........Stupid 3 second rule. Why? In a car you can sit there all day.
Lots of different versions out there.

Some vehicles only hold for 2 seconds.

On some vehicle (Farmgal has one) HSA holds for a few seconds, and then if no throttle it will apply the electric parking brake...

On my vehicle, HSA will also apply the electric trailer brakes if towing a trailer equipped with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts