GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rocket Man
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it’s complete. I had my right hip joint resurfaced and I was put back together again on Wednesday morning. I was the first patient in the O.R. at 7:45 am. At St. Michaels in Toronto and my only comment to the attending physician was “I hope that you do your best work in the mornings”. It appears that he does, since all the attending doctors commented on how well the surgery had gone.

I received a local/spinal which was quite interesting. You are sitting on the side of the gurney with your head and arms resting in a contraption that renders you back motionless while the physician finds the correct spot in your spinal column to insert the small needle. When the needle is inserted and the fluid enters your spinal column you feel a slight burning sensation running down your legs. You have just enough time to swing back onto the gurney and place your legs before you have gone completely numb from the rib cage down to the toes. Yes, even that part of the anatomy that a man should always be able to feel was a piece of dead wood.

I was given a mile sedative and did sleep for a while as the surgeon worked on me, however, I was awake for most of the operation and in conversation with the head anesthesiologist a very nice older Scottish doctor. He even had a Scottish plaid head covering that he was wearing. He explaining things to me and answered any questions I had during the process. The entire operation took about 2 ½ hours after which I went to the recovery room and was in my room by 12:45 pm.

I came home on Saturday around 11:00 am and I’m now in rehab and healing mode. I have exercises that I have to do each day and today I was able to take my first shower in five days. Everyone around me is happy about that. I should be on crutches for six to eight weeks and completely back to normal in twelve weeks, just in time to start

the riding season again.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Good to hear it worked out ok.
I may be in for some hip surgery.
The last year I have been having pains in my right hip.
If it gets any worse I may have to get it look at.
Good luck with your recovery.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Glad the surgery was complete with out a hitch. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Keep up with all the physical therapy and you will be back in the saddle again;).

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had a total right hip replacement on 19 Oct 08 and was back to work in 6 weeks. I have a pretty physical job so thats the soonest he would let me. It's all in the exercising at home. Do as much as you can as often as you can and you'll be up and around in no time. I LOVE my new hip. NO MORE PAIN!!. I wish everything else felt as good as this hip does. :yes1:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good luck to you and hope you're up riding soon.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I was experiencing pain in the right hip, mainly when climbing stairs and carrying heavy items. It was so very bad that I was starting to ask about hip replacement.

With nothing to lose, I tried MSM1000 from CVS. Within 1 week (2 capsules daily) I noticed improvement. I then dropped back to 1 daily.

By the end of the month I had forgotten all about the hip pain. Still taking it.

MSM worked like a champ for me. Worth a try IMHO. Check it out with a search on the internet.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've had two complete replacements. I feel so much better and so does my riding. Good luck on your recovery:yes1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts