GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone still use them? I ask because a set popped up on C/L just in time for Arizona Summer.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Would they fit over a Goldwing's switch gear. I use a set of ATV hippo hands on my BMW GS. No way they would ever fit over the CB switches.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have a set of the original Hippo Hands from the 70s and they fit my 07 Wing.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Ah yes, made by VETTER. Funny how the O.P. posted this and he's from Surprise, AZ. I JUST bought a home there in Surprise and close in a week or so, and while cleaning out the basement, I came across a light-used pair of Hippo Hands. Don't know if I'll keep 'em or Craigslist 'em. I've never used them myself, I got them from my brother-in-law, and I don't think I'll be using them in AZ.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have seen something similar that is attached to the end of the handle bars. It is used for cold weather.
I have a set called Knuckle Warmers. Found them while looking for HIPPO HANDS for my Wing. They work great! They are made of Cordura with a fleet lining. The wind gets blocked and my hands no longer get cold. They attach around the handle bar controls with Velcro. I just checked, and, if memory serves, I paid about $95-$98 for them. They are now $104.99. Mine are so faded, I may breakdown and buy a new set this coming winter. By using these, I can drop down to a thinner winter glove and still be very comfortable.

https://knucklewarmers.com/

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah yes, made by VETTER. Funny how the O.P. posted this and he's from Surprise, AZ. I JUST bought a home there in Surprise and close in a week or so, and while cleaning out the basement, I came across a light-used pair of Hippo Hands. Don't know if I'll keep 'em or Craigslist 'em. I've never used them myself, I got them from my brother-in-law, and I don't think I'll be using them in AZ.
Welcome to Surprise. If you plan to do any winter riding and don't have heated Grips keep your Hippo Hands.
This year we went to Parker on our NYD ride and it got cold. My '06 has heated grips so my hands were not cold.
After lunch though my Gerbings came out of the Saddlebags.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I had used Hippo Hands on my prior bikes and really liked them then. Then I tried them on my GL, the first time all seemed well at first. Until I realized that at highway speeds the wind pushed them back slightly enough to push against the front brake lever. Not too much so it was noticeable. But the result was a over heated warp disc rotor, which I had to replace. I gave them away. Your mileage may differ.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I had a pair of Hippo Hands back in the 70's. They were better than heated grips or heated gloves. I used them when temps were below 40 degrees without wearing gloves of any kind. Day long rides in cold temps were never a problem for my hands when using the Hippos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts