GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would share a brief History of the Initial Craker Barrell Trike Club and our humble beginnings as told through it’s founder and first president:

Over the past two years, the Cracker Barrel Trike Club has grown into an international phenomenon. It’s humble beginnings and mission are misunderstood by many due to the informality of our press releases and the humor we try to inject into all that we do.

So, as President, co-founder and club historian, I thought it was time to dispell all rumors and publish the true history of the now famous CBTC.

Friends, Fun, Food and riding our Trikes.

That’s what the Cracker Barrel Trike Club is all about. It’s just a few of us who own Trikes that met on the GL1800riders.com board. And now we keep in touch by email and the Trike forum. So the CBTC is really just some of my email contacts who own Trikes and like to chat via email. There is nothing formal about it and to be a member all you have to do is eat at Cracker Barrel and ride a trike.

When I was doing my research about trikes, most of the information I got was from folks on the GL1800riders “Trike” forum. I didn’t know any of these folks at the time. We rode some trikes at different dealers and converters and also at Wing Ding ’05. My technical and mechanical background kept bringing me back to CSC. Three of the guys on the board - Wilson, Dick and Ken - and I started emailing because we didn’t want to start a “flame war” on the forum by firing up those who owned other kits and thought theirs was the best too.

We even talked a few times on the phone and it really helped me decide. Once I announced my decision, one of the guys I had been emailing, Ken Lind (he lives an hour from me), called me to tell me that Fairfield Honda, 15 minutes from me, was a CSC dealer. Turns out they have 3 stores (2 in KY) and just never had a trike in stock long enough for me to have seen it. They gave me a name and number of one of their customers who was kind enough to let me ride his trike. That ride helped us decide. So I went to their store, Heritage Honda, in Flemingsburg (now Maysville), KY and met the guys who would do the actual conversion and made the deal.

So, the 4 of us: Ken Lind from north of Cincinnati; Dick Gamage from Peoria, IL; and Wilson Boudreaux from Church Point, LA spent the rest of the winter emailing. We discussed GPS, Radar detectors, CBs and just about everything. In the spring, Dick suggested that since Ken and I lived about 6 hours from him, we should get together some Saturday and meet and have lunch. Dick looked on his Garmin and I looked on my iWay and we both found a “Cracker Barrel” in Waynetown, Indiana about ½ way between us. At that time, I decided to call it the first meeting of the CBCC, the Cracker Barrel Cobra Club. It sounded like a nice name for our informal group. So Ken and Ruth; Me and Tina, met down the road about 40 minutes and rode over to Waynetown to meet Dick and Sharon at the Cracker Barrel. It turned out that the “Cracker Barrel” we found was not what we expected. Here’s a picture.

Picture No. 1
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/59Chevyguy/CBTC%20Pictures/th_CBTC-2.jpg

It was a small town diner but we decided to go a few miles to Crawfordsville to an Applebees. But the CBCC name stuck because we liked it.

Picture No 2
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/59Chevyguy/CBTC%20Pictures/th_CBCCDayOne.jpg

Later we were joined by Bill Dailey from Arizona because Ken knew him. All of us but Ken were retired and our common interest was the Cobra. So we emailed back and forth all the time with tips and tricks and stories and lies and we argued about which color is the best – and typically all the stuff that goes on on the GL1800riders board except that we were all Cobra owners and we were always civil to each other.

Later we were joined by Harry Tupper who has a Champion, Frank DePaul on a Cobra, Steven Viera with a Cobra and Jim Charette with a Hannigan. In 2007, at the Hoot we had breakfast with KYBLUE, Wheels on his Motor Trike and Stan on his Roadsmith (and their wives). Then a few months ago Dick sold his Cobra and bought a Hannigan. So since we were not all on Cobras any more, but were all still friends, we changed the name of our club to the CBTC or Cracker Barrel Trike Club. Since we have no organization or office or staff or newsletter, it was easy to do.

Here are the Vieiras, DePauls and Austins at Cats-Cade in Liberty, New York.

Picture No 3
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/59Chevyguy/CBTC%20Pictures/th_DSCN3871.jpg
And that’s really all the CBTC is – a group of trike friends chewing the fat over the internet and meeting irregularly for lunch and at other gatherings.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thought I would share a brief History of the Initial Craker Barrell Trike Club and our humble beginnings as told through it’s founder and first president:

Over the past two years, the Cracker Barrel Trike Club has grown into an international phenomenon. It’s humble beginnings and mission are misunderstood by many due to the informality of our press releases and the humor we try to inject into all that we do.

So, as President, co-founder and club historian, I thought it was time to dispell all rumors and publish the true history of the now famous CBTC.

Friends, Fun, Food and riding our Trikes.

That’s what the Cracker Barrel Trike Club is all about. It’s just a few of us who own Trikes that met on the GL1800riders.com board. And now we keep in touch by email and the Trike forum. So the CBTC is really just some of my email contacts who own Trikes and like to chat via email. There is nothing formal about it and to be a member all you have to do is eat at Cracker Barrel and ride a trike.

When I was doing my research about trikes, most of the information I got was from folks on the GL1800riders “Trike” forum. I didn’t know any of these folks at the time. We rode some trikes at different dealers and converters and also at Wing Ding ’05. My technical and mechanical background kept bringing me back to CSC. Three of the guys on the board - Wilson, Dick and Ken - and I started emailing because we didn’t want to start a “flame war” on the forum by firing up those who owned other kits and thought theirs was the best too.

We even talked a few times on the phone and it really helped me decide. Once I announced my decision, one of the guys I had been emailing, Ken Lind (he lives an hour from me), called me to tell me that Fairfield Honda, 15 minutes from me, was a CSC dealer. Turns out they have 3 stores (2 in KY) and just never had a trike in stock long enough for me to have seen it. They gave me a name and number of one of their customers who was kind enough to let me ride his trike. That ride helped us decide. So I went to their store, Heritage Honda, in Flemingsburg (now Maysville), KY and met the guys who would do the actual conversion and made the deal.

So, the 4 of us: Ken Lind from north of Cincinnati; Dick Gamage from Peoria, IL; and Wilson Boudreaux from Church Point, LA spent the rest of the winter emailing. We discussed GPS, Radar detectors, CBs and just about everything. In the spring, Dick suggested that since Ken and I lived about 6 hours from him, we should get together some Saturday and meet and have lunch. Dick looked on his Garmin and I looked on my iWay and we both found a “Cracker Barrel” in Waynetown, Indiana about ½ way between us. At that time, I decided to call it the first meeting of the CBCC, the Cracker Barrel Cobra Club. It sounded like a nice name for our informal group. So Ken and Ruth; Me and Tina, met down the road about 40 minutes and rode over to Waynetown to meet Dick and Sharon at the Cracker Barrel. It turned out that the “Cracker Barrel” we found was not what we expected. Here’s a picture.

Picture No. 1
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/59Chevyguy/CBTC%20Pictures/th_CBTC-2.jpg

It was a small town diner but we decided to go a few miles to Crawfordsville to an Applebees. But the CBCC name stuck because we liked it.

Picture No 2
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/59Chevyguy/CBTC%20Pictures/th_CBCCDayOne.jpg

Later we were joined by Bill Dailey from Arizona because Ken knew him. All of us but Ken were retired and our common interest was the Cobra. So we emailed back and forth all the time with tips and tricks and stories and lies and we argued about which color is the best – and typically all the stuff that goes on on the GL1800riders board except that we were all Cobra owners and we were always civil to each other.

Later we were joined by Harry Tupper who has a Champion, Frank DePaul on a Cobra, Steven Viera with a Cobra and Jim Charette with a Hannigan. In 2007, at the Hoot we had breakfast with KYBLUE, Wheels on his Motor Trike and Stan on his Roadsmith (and their wives). Then a few months ago Dick sold his Cobra and bought a Hannigan. So since we were not all on Cobras any more, but were all still friends, we changed the name of our club to the CBTC or Cracker Barrel Trike Club. Since we have no organization or office or staff or newsletter, it was easy to do.

Here are the Vieiras, DePauls and Austins at Cats-Cade in Liberty, New York.

Picture No 3
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm233/59Chevyguy/CBTC%20Pictures/th_DSCN3871.jpg
And that’s really all the CBTC is – a group of trike friends chewing the fat over the internet and meeting irregularly for lunch and at other gatherings.
What a great story, the rest makes even more sense after reading your post. Hope to run into you on the road some time, and remeber my offer if in the NE PA area. Known it for over 60 years, know the roads, the good the bad and the ugly when it comes to food and believe me there is plenty of each, but most of all I RIDE! Thanks for the HISTORY LESSON!

·
Registered
520 Posts
True enough, that's how it was told to me when I joined.
The past couple years, things have taken on a different life. We ALL need to remember the core beliefs of the group.

Friends, Fun, Food and riding our Trikes!

Ride safe my friends

·
Registered
254 Posts
Let's be friends and meet in Nashville and have fun!!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a well deserved bump

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That’s what the Cracker Barrel Trike Club is all about. It’s just a few of us who own Trikes that met on the GL1800riders.com board. And now we keep in touch by email and the Trike forum. So the CBTC is really just some of my email contacts who own Trikes and like to chat via email. There is nothing formal about it and to be a member all you have to do is eat at Cracker Barrel and ride a trike......
that the way I new it....and I hope it can become that again.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts