GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a 3 point trip today on 4 lanes and frequently was tweaking my speed with the cruise controls. I noticed often how close the start/reverse button is to the set/decrease cruise button and this got me wondering: What happens if you push that (accidentally, of course) while moving forward in OD? Does it engage? Do nothing? Anyone ever done it and care to tell me what happened?
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Did a 3 point trip today on 4 lanes and frequently was tweaking my speed with the cruise controls. I noticed often how close the start/reverse button is to the set/decrease cruise button and this got me wondering: What happens if you push that (accidentally, of course) while moving forward in OD? Does it engage? Do nothing? Anyone ever done it and care to tell me what happened?
Thanks.
Your headlights will turn off that's it. Your starter will not engage. Your lights normally go off when you start in neutral.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I've accidentally pushed it at highway speeds, more than once. Nothing happens. Thankfully.

Reactions: WY88 and Drair

·
Registered
419 Posts
Lights go out. That is one way to blink your lights to give others permission to do something like change lanes in front of you or go next at a 4 way stop. So doing it accidentally at the wrong time could have bad consequences as you may be telling that 18 wheeler that is passing you he is clear to come back over.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
I've accidentally pushed it at highway speeds, more than once. Nothing happens. Thankfully.
To clarify I am talking about the1832 not the new 2018 1833 I would be careful you mite loose a few springs lol.
If you have you bike off. Put in any gear with ignition on and hit your start button it's exactly the same thing your lights will go off and that's it.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Hit the start button at idle, and you will hear the starter spin. The headlamps will turn off. If you have the starter switch in while running for too long, it will burn the starter up (more than 10 mins).

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all. Good to know information. One less thing to worry about or obsess about as I learn the ins-and-outs of this machine. :)

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Hit the start button at idle, and you will hear the starter spin. The headlamps will turn off. If you have the starter switch in while running for too long, it will burn the starter up (more than 10 mins).
Only in neutral or with the clutch lever squeezed. If everything is working correctly, the starter won’t spin while in gear, traveling down the road. When it’s in gear and the clutch lever is not squeezed, the “A” starter relay has no ground for its coil so it won’t energize.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
The starter won’t spin, only the head lights go out. The starter can’t spin because it’s in gear with the clutch out. If you squeeze the clutch lever, it will spin.

Good point, I forgot about the gear position lockout, you are correct. I can only spin if the bike is in neutral or the clutch is pulled in.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Random trivia, since I'm on a boring conference call.

I have the electrical connection harness that cuts out the headlights until oil pressure is up, intended to prevent HID lights from cycling during typical start. They don't like the quick on/off that comes with every normal start: key on (lights on), then press start (lights off), then release start (lights on). I heard about using the start switch to flash your lights on/off as you cruise down the road, but with that harness installed, it doesn't work.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Random trivia, since I'm on a boring conference call.

I have the electrical connection harness that cuts out the headlights until oil pressure is up, intended to prevent HID lights from cycling during typical start. They don't like the quick on/off that comes with every normal start: key on (lights on), then press start (lights off), then release start (lights on). I heard about using the start switch to flash your lights on/off as you cruise down the road, but with that harness installed, it doesn't work.
That same think happened to me also. They blamed it on airbag model. Any way what I do is before turning ignition to run I hold in the start button down and turn on the key and it's worked great for 4yrs now this hopefully extents the life of my jhids.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
I still like my “no low beam head lights with the side stand down” configuration. It allows the lights to stay on even if the engine dies without using a latching relay.

·
Registered
43 Posts
At 70 your safe. At 88MPH the start button will trigger the 1.21 jigawatts of electricity needed for time travel.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Only in neutral or with the clutch lever squeezed. If everything is working correctly, the starter won’t spin while in gear, traveling down the road. When it’s in gear and the clutch lever is not squeezed, the “A” starter relay has no ground for its coil so it won’t energize.
You're correct ... I forgot about the lock-outs.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
This is good info to know, cause I often "worried" about that myself (and I'm sure "others" also) GOOD QUESTION 2 ask!

Ronnie

I also worry about the trip odometer also, when I want it back to zero, and I'm in motion

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
What happens if you push that (accidentally, of course) while moving forward in OD? Does it engage? Do nothing? Anyone ever done it and care to tell me what happened?
Thanks.

The bike will go ever-so-slightly faster.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
This is good info to know, cause I often "worried" about that myself (and I'm sure "others" also) GOOD QUESTION 2 ask!

Ronnie

I also worry about the trip odometer also, when I want it back to zero, and I'm in motion

Ronnie
No problem. I do that all the time. Not mechanical.

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I still like my “no low beam head lights with the side stand down” configuration. It allows the lights to stay on even if the engine dies without using a latching relay.
Ok, Rob, share your technical expertise with the rest of us! My pet peeve ( as happened twice yesterday) is when I’m working on the bike troubleshooting electrical that requires the switch to be activated and you either need to pull the headlight fuse, idle the motor, or risk running the battery down. (I even considered wiring in a switch to kill the lights in this scenario.) This mod would be a great addition!

Thanks!!

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts