GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fenced in by a car on my right that decided they liked my lane better, and a passing truck coming the other way that was wide in his lane and I hit a beastly big mother at about 55/60. I should be grateful that I didn't go down because it was a real Attention getter and the noise was like a cannon going off. Truth is, I did come close to going down.

I am leaving for a 3,000 mile trip to Gaspe Quebec in two weeks and didn't want to shake rattle and roll my way up there and back, so after horsing around with trying to make the extreme shaking in the front end go away, I finally gave up and just ordered a new front tire and a new front wheel. Has this ever happened to any / many of you guys? I wonder.... how common is it where you must replace the front tire and the front wheel as a result of hitting a very bad pothole with a very sharp edge at a decent speed?

Probably could have done the trip but I didn't buy this thing to have it shake like crazy, pretty much at all speeds. Which is why I threw in the towel and spend a little money. OK, Not-so-little money.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Glad your OK its never happed to me yet thank god obliviously the rim and the tyre were damaged so i think you have made the right discision in replacing them i would not like to ride my bike if it was not 100%

CHEERS :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

Hit that baby Memorial Day . . .

I checked with the local road authority, and it appears that their insurance company is reimbursing me for my damages. It might be worth it to you to do some checking.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Is there actual visula or measurable damage to the wheel? And are you sure the rear wasn't damaged?

·
IronMan
17,632 Posts
if you do over 90 mph you (fly ) over them with out hitting edge aahhh just be careful i've hit some that about knocked my teeth out but not the wheel scary out there glad you didnt go down - can get new tire - skin hard to come by be safe n enjoy your trip

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hit one like that years ago with the (then new) 89 1500. Bent the rim, limped home and had rim and tire replaced. The tire was new but I did not trust it after that. It too was an eye opener to say the least. Loud is an understatement. Didn't go down but sure did take a jolt that I had never experienced before that, or since.

·
Registered
512 Posts
frisky,
glad to hear you made it through the depths of HE__ wihout going down!
can you see on your front wheel were the lip/bead part has actually been bent out? the reason asking is,,as someone else stated,it could possibly be your rear wheel just as likely?
A few weeks ago heading over to Indy i was about half way there going on the slab and at an overpass,which i couldnt tell until i was right at it, it had heaved up ( were the two sections meet,land,bridge part). I could see almost the entire width of the angle iron sticking up!!! I would honestly say 4 inches!! Steel no less .AKA: NO cushion! I was running 70 when i hit this. Can't believe it didnt dent the from rim. When i cleared it, looked in the rear view mirror just by chance to see what all had fallen off the bike,,and up coming on the hammer was a state cop. He stopped right there at the overpass,so i am assuming someone had just radioed this deal in.
I continued on like nobodys business for another 200 miles there and rode back home 400 miles no probs. Got lucky I guess. I am surprised the front forks didn't stay right at the overpass and the rest of the bike didnt continue on( for a little ways at least).

have a good trip.
take care,
bc

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I took out the rear rim on my Heritage a few years ago like that. Forced off the side of the road by a texting teen, my skills from my dirt bike days kicked in. Crack of the throttle got the front wheel over the chuck hole on the edge of the road but the back hit hard. Luckily the tube inside kept the tire inflated Until I got it home.

That one cost me $300 for a new rear rim. :roll:

never did catch that kid.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts

Hit that baby Memorial Day . . .

I checked with the local road authority, and it appears that their insurance company is reimbursing me for my damages. It might be worth it to you to do some checking.
you hit it on what day , guess you wont forget that one eeee:eek:4:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Be sure to check your fork seals also. Wife hit a big pothole on her trike and we had to replace front wheel, tire, and seals.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Mother Freaking Pothole

I feel a little better about this, given the hit my pride and wallet took. A pretty good wrench checked the fork seals and did everything he could to make the front end right, but the rim was off, as in, out of round by supposedly a tiny bit it was enough to make you feel like you were on a bull ride, "not like me, a guy who lives in Manhattan knows what a bull ride is like".

Thankfully it was not as bad as that green one a gentleman posted because I don't think I could have nursed the bike the 100+ miles it took to get home. As it was, after riding about 50 of those 100 miles, when I stopped for gas and a break, my hands did not stop involuntary shaking for at least 30 minutes - very weird. Talk about a very bad case of psl-sey (excuse my phonetic spelling of the disease). When I hit the damn thing I said "This Can't Be Good" and boy, was I right.

Although the front tire was actually relatively new and pristine, I felt I could no longer trust it so I ponied up about $575 plus tax for a new front tire and new rim. As Tony Soprano would say "Whatya Gonna Do". I am sure I could have gotten it cheaper at HDL but because of my upcoming trip, time is of the essence (as they say in the congressional budget committee negotiations) because I have to get FRISKY (my NYS plate) back together and almost 100% for the trip.

Excellent point about the rear tire and rim. I asked the wench about that and he assured me it had to be ok. Given that comment, clearly, this means I need to double check it and the easiest way to do that will be to go out for a high speed ride with the new tire and rim, and if the rear is also damaged I have window of time to get it replaced but only by a day and if anything goes wrong timing wise I will miss the start of the trip (with others) and have to play catch up, which would be unfortunate. I think I was lucky and as we all know, "Take Luck, Any Day".

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Please contact the authority responsible for the roads there. At least around here, they are thankful to get alerts of dangerous potholes, and will send a crew to repair it soon. They can't afford an employee to just ride around spotting them, or to just send out crews blindly. There are some cases where potholes and other road damage is tolerated during heavy construction (or, like in our area, mining operations), but repaired after the heaviest activity subsides (usually several years). Around here, they just rough-patch or throw gravel in it.

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
Check your frame for cracks and the fork sliders to be sure they are straight. Count yer blessings.

prs

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Hit a massive "sharp edge" from a defective man-hole cover repair recently; huge bang and blew out my left-front fork seal. Progressive paid for the repair, but wouldn't go after a public utility or local municipality, due to the poor recovery rate... they wouldn't cover it under comp either. So, as to expunge my accident record, I have filed a direct claim against WSSC (water & sewer) in Montgomery County, Md.

WSSC repaired the road within 48 hours of me reporting the incident; I told them I would supeona their records as I'm sure other vehicles have had axle and tie-rod damage from this hole. I informed them I have "before and after" photo's also, and would be filing a lawsuit if they didn't reimburse Progressive, and me for the deductible on the claim.

They have verbally agreed to pay... won't believe it till I receive the check!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts