GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fenced in by a car on my right that decided they liked my lane better, and a passing truck coming the other way that was wide in his lane and I hit a beastly big mother at about 55/60. I should be grateful that I didn't go down because it was a real Attention Getter and the noise was like a cannon going off. Truth be told, I did come close to going down.

I am leaving for a 3,000 mile trip to Gaspe Quebec in two weeks and didn't want to shake rattle and roll my way up there and back, so after horsing around with trying to make the extreme shaking in the front end go away, I finally gave up and just ordered a new front tire and a new front wheel.

Has this ever happened to any / many of you guys?
I wonder.... how common is it where you must replace the front tire and the front wheel as a result of hitting a very bad pothole with a very sharp edge at a decent speed?

Probably could have done the trip but I didn't buy this thing to have it shake like crazy, pretty much at all speeds. Which is why I threw in the towel and spend a little money. OK, Not-so-little money.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nothing so severe but I did hit what I then considered the mother of all pot holes traveling south of Big Sur on US 1. There was a huge boom sound, I could feel the edge if the roadway compress the front tire to the rim and my teeth crash into themselves as the rear of the bike rose into the air.

Luckily I was able to limp her home and get new tires(it was time anyway) with little other damage. My teeth still hurt thinking about it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
What a coincidence. Some guy on the first page did the same thing. And he's preparing for a trip to the same place.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts