GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home yesterday, I rode over a manhole cover that was sunk into the road about 5 inches. I was going pretty slowly (less then 10MPH), but I could not avoid it. When my front wheel went in, the undercarriage hit pretty hard. It felt like it cam straight down on the lip of the road.

I had a look under the bike and I could not see any damage. There is something that looked like an aluminum pan that I could move with my hand, but it seemed like it was supposed to do that.

The ride home was fine. I did not notice any leaks overnight.

Is there any reason for concern? Is there anything I need to check?

As you can probably guess, I have no idea what parts are down there, so please describe them if you note anything in your replies.

Thanks in advance.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
You might just want to swing by your favorite dealer, and have them take a look. Once they put it up on a lift, they'll be able to get a good look under there, and should quickly be able to tell if anything has been damaged.

The dealer who works on my bike would do such an inspection at no charge. Even if you have to pay for a half hour of labor, it is probably still worth it.

I

·
0 Posts
I ain't no expert, but I don't think there is anything under there that you should be able to move around by hand. :?

I agree with mrgl02. Get it up on a lift at your dealer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The coolent over flow tank can be moved my hand, it is actually plastic but is covered in a aluminum looking material.

I too recently hit the bottom of the bike on something and it felt really bad but when I first looked I saw nothing. A second look showed what it was that really hit..........the center stand hangs down further than anything else and that is what actually hit. You might look at the lowest point of your center stand and see if it has scraped anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts