GL1800Riders Forums banner

Hitch and trailer info please!!

3K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  Doug from WI 
#1 ·
Sitting on the fence and thinking I will buy a new Aluma MCTXL within the next month and was wondering.....

What would be the best setup for my 2012 Wing???

First the hitch?? Brand, type.... I see some for cheap.. to $$$. :coffee1:Would like for it to be hidden when not in use. But if needed would not be a deal buster if I had to cut a hole in the rear fender.

Is the Aluma XL a good choice? Will use it a hand full of times a year, maybe more.

I am taking my wife for her first ever weekend bike trip. If she really enjoys it a trailer is a must. But for this weekend she must travel lite.

Thanks Smitty:bow:

#2 ·
The Aluma is a great choice. They are very nice trailers and you would not be disappointed in it. For a Hitch I would choose either a Rivco or a Bushtec. Both are really good units and are the strongest out there. Do not buy a hitch that attaches to the Wings sub frame. Bushtec and Rivco mount to the frame.

#3 ·
I have to ask.

Why would you buy a new Wing and not get a trailer with suspension, .like a Champion, Escapade, Hannigan, or Tailwind?

Also, the aerodynamic drag is higher on he square trailer and the trailer with outboard wheels and fenders. That means fuel tank range and mpg.

Very curious as to the decision process. Thanks.

#4 ·
Aluma for your uses? Absolutely. Best bang for the buck IMHO. As for the aforementioned loss of fuel mileage? Total BS. We ride trips with our's and several others pulling several different brands. The gasoline refills at the same time don't vary enough to even consider, at times our's are even better. I suggest Thomas Bus Sales to purchase, they're great people. Also, don't skimp on a good hitch. Good luck with whatever choice you make and momma will be tickled with the extra space.

#5 ·
I have to ask.

Why would you buy a new Wing and not get a trailer with suspension, .like a Champion, Escapade, Hannigan, or Tailwind?

Also, the aerodynamic drag is higher on he square trailer and the trailer with outboard wheels and fenders. That means fuel tank range and mpg.

Tom,

200 people per year that buy the Aluma MCT and MCT-XL from us can't all be wrong. Apparently an Aluma Trailer works well for our customers.

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.
Des Moines, Iowa

#7 ·
Tom,

200 people per year that buy the Aluma MCT and MCT-XL from us can't all be wrong. Apparently an Aluma Trailer works well for our customers.

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.
Des Moines, Iowa
I spoke to Luke (IIRC) at Thomas Bus Sales the other day. He sent me a few pic's of the Aluma.

I am just looking for a trailer to use a few times a year, looks and pulls nice and won't break the bank. I would love to have a Bushtec, or other "high end" trailer. But for the time I will pull it I think a Aluma will be the right one for me.

Can someone tell me the difference between a cheap Add-on hitch and the Bushtec?? Also, what model Bushtec??

Thanks guys for all the help and info, Smitty:thumbup:

#8 ·
Aluma trailer is a very nice product. Many people have them and utilize them for occassional trips to multiple trips per year.

Have yet to hear from anyone who has had a problem

Friend of ours has one, pulls behind his HD Ultra, looks good, performs just fine.

I am sure you will enjoy it and get many, many safe, happy miles pulling this trailer as have many, many others

As for the hitch....Bushtec or Rivco, either will serve you well, decision is based on personal preference.

#9 ·
Hitch

Can someone tell me the difference between a cheap Add-on hitch and the Bushtec?? Also, what model Bushtec??

How they attach is the primary difference. Rivco and Bushtec both attach to the main frame, the cheap (your words) Add On attaches to the subframe. This will bring out the people who will cry foul but you are adding a lot of weight and forces to the bike, common sense says you would not want to do this to areas that aren't designed to hold more than the trunk and saddlebags.

#10 ·
Rivco is a good hitch. I have a Kury hitch and it works for me.

The Aluma is a good trailer for the money. I went really cheap with the HF trailer and it works great. My fuel mileage is almost the same as when not pulling the trailer.

#11 ·
Trailer

Don't put anything in the Aluma trailer that can damaged by rain water or by being "shook up". Some have had issues with the lid sealing. You may have to add some foam to the bottom of the trailer to help "soften" the ride. Not a problem if you are just hauling clothes. Remember most times you get what you pay for.

#12 ·
Some have replied with the recommendation of Bushtec trailers....I looked at this trailer and talked with several people who have a Bushtec....the biggest comment I have heard is that it is a great trailer but for long distance people, it is not the trailer to have due to the tires being a special order tire only through Bushtec....Bushtec owners thoughts...?

#13 ·
I got 48,000 miles out of my first Bushtec tires, I'm at 16,000 on my second set and they still look great. I carry a spare tire and wheel as I did with my previous two 12" trailers. A lot of my riding is to far out of the way to bet on a close replacement and I don't want to chain the trailer to a tree while I look for a WalMart.

#14 ·
Some have replied with the recommendation of Bushtec trailers....I looked at this trailer and talked with several people who have a Bushtec....the biggest comment I have heard is that it is a great trailer but for long distance people, it is not the trailer to have due to the tires being a special order tire only through Bushtec....Bushtec owners thoughts...?
Bushtec type tires can be had from different sources. The best are the ones from Bushtec. You should get 30 to 50,000 miles from a set. How far do you want to go? I have a 92 Turbo and just replaced the original tires, but I only pull it 4 to 5000 miles per year. By the way, my 92 still pulls and looks great. I did have to modify the suspension to handle the new shocks. If you get a Turbo II, it has the newer shocks. I believe they are from 93 on.

I looked for a used trailer because I only use it a few times a year and didn't need, or want to spend a bunch of money on a new one. This was the best I could find for the money. You will hear different opinions from a lot of people. Get the best you can for what you want to spend and you'll be happy. Remember, it's your's not theirs.

#15 ·
After many thousands of miles, no issues whatsoever for me

Some people on this forum have personal agendas against certain products and will dredge up all kinds of spurious reasons not to purchase a particular product.

I am always wary of and disregard those who tear down another in an attempt to build themselves up

#16 ·
As a Bushtec owner, I don't think it's a big deal to have to order tires from Bushtec every few years or so.....no different than when you have to order tires for your Wing. You wouldn't set out on a long trip with wore out tires with your Wing and you don't do that with your trailer either, so tires with my Bushtec, just like with the Wing are not a concern with me. My 2011 Bushtec only has around 6500 miles on it so far and the tires don't look like they have worn at at so far. I suspect that you could pull a Bushtec across the country more than a few times before the tires would need to be replaced.

#17 ·
Easy Tom. It's the price!

The Aluma is an excellent trailer and IMO is way more cost effective for those of us who only use a trailer a couple of times a year. Sure, it's not as fancy as those you referenced, but it does the job well, pulls great, and looks ok too. I am definitely happy with mine and based on the comments from virtually every other Aluma owner, I am not in the minority.

I have to ask.

#18 ·
Total BS. Seals as well as any trailer. Lid can be adjusted easily to put more pressure on the seal. As far as shook up.....Lets see, clothes, helmets, trinkets and other crap. Unless you're hauling eggs, it will work fine.

I think it is unfair and unreasonable to compare all aspects of these $5K trailers to those of a $1800 model. Surely, you should get a little better trailer for three times the money. This is not the question. Since they all have adequate capacity and will haul your gear, the decision as to what brand/model is ultimately influenced by three main factors. Price, amount of use, and how much you want or can afford to pay.

Don't put anything in the Aluma trailer that can damaged by rain water or by being "shook up". Some have had issues with the lid sealing. You may have to add some foam to the bottom of the trailer to help "soften" the ride. Not a problem if you are just hauling clothes. Remember most times you get what you pay for.

#19 ·
I've got a bushtec hitch. It's hidden when the draw bar is not in place. I also just bought an Aluma MCTXL from Thomas Bus. This is my third trailer in 11 years. The Aluma is a nice basic trailer. There are a couple changes on the 2012 model. Talk with Leonard at Thomas Bus Sales about the changes. Also, I had them install a carpet kit while I waited. I was going to put my own carpeting inside but for the price it was an easy choice to let them install the carpeting.

As far as a Bushtec or Escapade or Tailwind trailer goes, they are all nice trailers but are more than 3 times the cost of an Aluma.

As far as the wheels being outside the trailer in the wind, yes it may drop your mileage a bit but not a noticeable amount. On a 2000 mile trip the aluma trailer did not cause us to get gas any sooner than the rest of our group.

As far as a trailer with a suspension...there is a suspension. It's just different than the others...but again, the Aluma is not a $5,000 trailer.

If you are looking for a basic, good quality trailer, you can't go wrong with an Aluma MCTXL!

Do call around to check prices. I found a dealer within an hour from my house that was selling the 2011 model for $500 more than what Thomas Bus wanted for a 2012 model.

There was one negative when buying my Aluma trailer. Aluma was offering 6 month free financing through Sheffield Financial. Great! Well it turns out that the "free" financing comes with a $125 fee. Not so free if you ask me.

*Disclaimer: I have no connection to Aluma or Thomas Bus Sales other than I am a satisfied customer.

#20 ·
As far as a Bushtec or Escapade or Tailwind trailer goes, they are all nice trailers but are more than 3 times the cost of an Aluma.
Sure you can spend some money on a fiberglass trailer with paint, wheel options... etc, but a base model Bushtec Turbo 2 is 2495 and a base Escapade is around that priced point also....that's still more than the Aluma but nowhere near 3 times the price of a Aluma....just saying

#21 ·
I bought a Bushtec hitch for my 04 wing six years ago. I was brand new to trailering and bought my Aspen camp trailer on line. I had never seen one before that. I knew Bushtec had been making trailers for years and didn't want to skimp on a hitch. I think hitches should not be chosen on price.

#22 ·
The cost of an object is what you pay for it, plus what you spend using it, minus what you sell if for when you are through with it.

Tailwinds used when you can find one, sell for $5,500 to $6,500. Some of them were brought in the loss leader days and so they were sold for more than that cost new.

My demo Tailwind has 243,000 miles on it. It has never been serviced. The recommended service intervals are 150,000 miles.

It gets used about 30,000 miles per year with some years higher.

I have a 2004 Wing with 230,000 miles on it and a 2010 wing with 25,800 miles on it. Sheila borrowed the demo while hers was being repaired from being Tee Boned by a pickup going 35 mph.

She pulled my demo Tailwind in the IBA 48 state tour which took her 8.5 days.

I realize that some don't use their bikes many miles a year.

I also know that many of the Tailwind owners use their bike and trailer rigs more than they do their cages. I do not even own a car, for instance.

I also know that used Hannigans and Escapades go for as little as the low twos.

My main curiosity was in the disparity of getting a top of the line bike and a budget trailer, while at the same time often spending twice that amount on bling.

That is what makes horse races.

The western half of Texas has 80 mph speed limits, soon to be 85. Seeing signs like next rest area 123 miles and knowing that when you leave Fort Stockton you must make at least Ozona, but if you are to not make three stops to San Antonio you need to make Sonora. I beleive you would be hard pressed to pull an Aluma from Fort Stockton to Sonora at 80 GPS miles per hour in the afternoon.

The Aluma is a durable trailer. We just got back from our annual TTT run. We had a Bushtec, Hannigan, Escapade, Harbor Freight and several Tailwinds. and a couple Wings with no trailers. I used less fuel per stop than all but one solo Wing. The non Tailwind 1500 used a half gallon more fuel per tank than the 1500 pulling a tailwind. There were some areas with rough roads and streets.

We traveled 3,500 miles and had a delightful trip.

Thanks for the responses.

#23 ·
Thanks for all the responses to my post of the Bushtec and tires....the responses of how many miles solves the problem of tires...I was thinking that the Bushtec tires were only getting some where of 5-6000 miles....but it sounds like they get ten times that....the responses really helped ...thanks.....

#24 ·
Sure you can spend some money on a fiberglass trailer with paint, wheel options... etc, but a base model Bushtec Turbo 2 is 2495 and a base Escapade is around that priced point also....that's still more than the Aluma but nowhere near 3 times the price of a Aluma....just saying
And I'm just saying that I've never seen a Bushtec or Escapade for anything less than $3.5 to $4K and a Tailwind...well Tom says the used ones are about $6K. Comparing a Bushtec, Escapade, or Tailwind to a Aluma is apples & oranges. For someone that uses a trailer only a couple times a year, the Aluma MCTXL fits both my budget and needs quite well. But, that's why there are several different types of trailers out there. To each his own.

#25 ·
Captain,

I agree that there is not much of a comparison between the Aluma and Tailwind, but if you buy a Tailwind for $8K and sell it for $6.5K and buy a set of tires for about $75 every 50,000 miles and repack the bearings every 150,000 miles, you have not spent much money.

Meanwhile, you have had a 65 psi air system to repair your bike's flats on the road, overhead lighting and Phone charging that does not use the bike's battery, suspension that is the best in the business, saved the most fuel, had the best passing and hill climbing performance, the least fatigue cycles put on your bike, and the best coddling of your computer, cameras, and other fragile items, and the best access to your stuff.

My Tailwind has never been serviced and has 244,000 miles on it. Since it is never off the bike, I enjoy my bike a lot for all day every day use. That is why it gets 30,000 miles a year on it. Grocery store, cleaners, Steel mill, UPS runs, just what ever is needed, I do it on the Wing. I realize that not everyone is so addicted to riding. However, it is easier to become addicted when you don't have to run home to get the cage to go to the store.

Sure beats the center seat on a 767 for going across the country. I have not flown in 10 years.

#26 ·
Tom,
I'm not going to argue with you. But there is no way to convince me spending $8K vs. $2k on a trailer that is used a couple times a year is a good investment. For $8K, I can buy 3.5 Aluma MCTXL trailers or one Tailwind. That just doesn't make good economical sense to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.